Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Carol - 90/100
Bronson - 74/100
Manchester by the Sea - 82/100
Moonlight - 90/100
La Notte - 80/100
Silence (2016) - 85/100
Elle - 70/100
Lo and Behold: Reveries of a Connected World - 70/100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Moonlight - 90/100

This is definitely the highlight of the year for me. Endlessly creative photography and music, a structure that constantly surprises, and content that will challenge the preconceptions of its audience. It probes one's emotions in difficult, poetic, and nontraditional ways, without condescending on the material or settling for cliche. The casting, even when it seems like it shouldn't work (for continuity purposes), somehow magically does, I think mainly because of the attention to detail with regard to body language, mood, and clothing.

The original score is just unbearably good, with any licensed tracks present being both interesting and obscure, and the colors....THE COLORS!, and little camera bobs and weaves, dreamy depth of focus, all things that are just icing on the cake of incredibly dedicated and sincere performances.

Bronson - 74/100

I've never been able to get into Refn, but I do think his films are aesthetically engaging, carnivalesque at least. Hardy puts a lot of work into the role and the whole enterprise is both funny and dark in equal turns with an obvious debt to films like Oh, Lucky Man and Clockwork Orange. But I couldn't help but feel this overabundance of pseudo-profundity while watching, the numerous moments of slow contemplation where there just didn't seem to be anything worth contemplating. This movie put in solid effort, but watching it felt like doing time. I guess that's the point.

Manchester by the Sea - 82/100

One of the better films this year. MbtS is just as formal and deliberate as Margaret was years ago, and both films feel like they could be stage plays given the director's history. Honestly, I saw this back to back with Moonlight and it really suffered due to the juxtaposition. Manchester is a clean, politely shot, well acted film, but it felt incredibly stuffy to me, so focused on the mundane and trivial, and both the cinematography and score really reflect an aversion to risktaking. I must admit that Affleck gives an astounding performance, one that manages to disguise some of the more mediocre elements of the film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

I have to say I disagree. I found it to be viscerally affecting because of that focus on the trivial and everyday. It takes these moments that at first glance are mundane and shows how even those little moments have the process of grief weighing on them. There's this maelstrom of emotion boiling under the surface of both Lee and Patrick, and the audience is put outside them, mostly unable to see through the facade of calmness and normalcy they put up until it cracks, until Lee explodes into impulive self destruction like in the bar scenes or when he punches through the window or when Patrick has that panic attack at the freezer, and the cinematography you describe as unambitious is a part of that, presenting these characters in a very matter of fact way, as well as reinforcing the tedium of waiting until winter for the ground to soften. I agree that it doesn't really pull out a lot of neat tricks, but it's not going for the sort of impressionistic camera work Moonlight is, and I think both approaches are appropriate for their contexts.

Yeah, I got all that out of it, and agree. I guess I'd say that the way it was structured, filmed and scored would not be something I'd likely watch again, even though I felt it worked pretty well to convey the point. So I docked it for that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

I have seen some great movies the last few months (Arrival, Nocturnal Animals, LA La Land) but nothing comes close to Moonlight . Easiest ten out of ten ever and quite possibly one of the most well made movies I've ever seen. The acting, the cinematography, the editing, the music...everything was fantastic.

Yeah, certainly one of the best movies I've ever seen. At the theater I work for there have been a lot of puffy, sobbing faces emerging from this one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

For some reason I saw The Space Between Us(2016)! 2.5/5.

Score seems high. Plz explain.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fences - 84/100
20th Century Women - 90/100
The Lure - 86/100
Toni Erdmann - 81/100
I Am Not Your Negro - 96/100

Astounding year for black cinema, by the way

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

They Live - I kept putting of seeing this movie. I knew basically what it was about and knew it would be cheesy but... Wow it was bad. (2/10)

:vince:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

What am I missing?

In addition to its broad artistic influence it's one of the great politically subversive films of the Reagan era.

Zizek is always fun.

Or in Carpenter's own words

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 27, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

York_M_Chan posted:

Yes I got the point, kinda hard to miss it when it is done with such a heavy hand. That being said, there are a lot of very influential films that really have to be seen in the time and place when they were made. Now this whole movie comes off like a lovely high school punk song or a student film.

This movie was like eating a pixie stick. As a kid, the intensity & obviousness is amazing but as an adult with an aged palate it is hard to stomach and you want something a little more subtle. I just should have seen it when I was younger is all.

EDIT: VVVVV Probably my favorite part of the movie.

I dunno, man, I'm your age and I first saw it in like 2007. It just owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Please go into further detail.

Fences - 84/100

This film has absolutely magnetic performances all around, and everyone just NAILS the language and momentum of the scenes. It's wonderful that the film manages to capture the intricacy and contradiction in the characters in a non-judgemental manner, while not being shy about some of the more chauvinistic elements of main characters and how those character traits were also part of a struggle of the time they represent. It's an absolutely exhausting film though, emotionally, foremost, but also in terms of length and linguistic complexity. By the closing scene you wonder how many more climaxes the movie can have. The film is shot beautifully, overall, restrained (similar to Manchester By The Sea), but there are a few glaring moments of poor focus, or scenes where the camera could've been used more creatively to represent the mentality of its characters, whether intoxicated by booze, anger, sadness, or reverie. Though maybe that restrained camera is fitting for a story about people's responses to big events that happen elsewhere. I can't really remember the soundtrack at all, but it didn't detract. A respectful, non-controversial adaptation of challenging material, similar to my feelings on Arrival earlier this year.

Toni Erdmann - 81/100

Toni Erdmann is a tough nut to crack, and while brilliant it's not for everybody, nor does it feel built for repeat views. It's about so many different things, yet all of its subjects are interconnected in very concrete, seemingly mundane ways. It can be funny, boring, awkward, and tragic...all in the span of 20 minutes. It's hard for me to call it a comedy, really, though the main characters seem remarkably aware of a spartan comic fiber that binds aspects of everyday life. Over the course of nearly 3 hours you really get inside the heads of these people, though my main takeaways were less personal and more reflections of the contemporary corporate environment: the power structures of the male business class that inexorably co-opt and subdue everything in sight, from rural tradition and class distinction to humor, creativity, happiness, sexuality, food, and even listlessness. This film often times comes about with incredible subtlety regarding the divide between the international corporate Haves and the localized morass of red-zoned Have-nots, and yet the ways in which it demonstrates this increasing divide are brutally subversive. The clean, antiseptic, architectural spaces and repetitive, gobbledygook legalese of corporate life reveal themselves as soul-deadening, lifeless, and filled with pretense. The ways in which women are both required to systematically subdue their sexuality and flaunt it in order to exist within the masculine hierarchy are bizarre, tedious, and pathetic...sometimes all at once, and yet those terms of compliance also expose the fragility and emptiness of that ever-elusive goal at the center of elite capitalism. The only way to wrest ourselves from an unwinnable and unsustainable corporate religion is to emasculate it and eat the cum-covered cupcake. Empowerment through humor, and well worth the time.

also

Spectre - 46/100

Ugh. I just really dislike the Mendes Bond flicks, they're awful, dour, nonsensical, poorly written and incredibly plodding. About the best thing you can say about this and Skyfall is that the cinematography in each is composed of well-framed, crisp shots with excellent color correction. Spectre itself is an interminable film. None of the actors have chemistry, wit or even really a desire to be there. Why is Monica Belucci even in the film? And the love relationship between Bond and Swann is absolutely bizarre in its emptiness. The film is riddled with lazy callbacks, lame hacking scenes and grandiose action that is somehow...not exciting. And the score is a mix of pandering contemporary pop and filler tension music cribbed from Heat, or any other Michael Mann thriller in the last two decades. In addition to being an awful, unfun watch Spectre is also maddeningly nationalistic. gently caress it.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Selections from the last month or so:

The Lure 5/5

Loved this, but want to read your words

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Everything I've seen in the last couple weeks, review on request ofc:

Song to Song: 9/10

Please!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Song to Song: I actually really didn't care for Knight of Cups, and it was the first film of Malick's that I would classify as a failure. Malick's form had become so removed from convention and so ungrounded that its characters felt like hollow vessels for philosophical proselytizing. At the same time, it was curious watching his evolution, beginning with To the Wonder, after he so convincingly said everything he could possibly have said with The Tree of Life; I sensed that for whatever its failures, there was a merit to the approach, as he further fractured his narratives and eschewed diegesis, including dialogue, in favor of a more impressionist sensibility.

In Song to Song, he pushes this approach even further, so if you were totally against it in Knight of Cups, I'd be wary, but if you thought the attempt had promise, I can't recommend this enough. After bouncing back and forth between awe and utter frustration, I came to totally understand what Malick was driving towards. More than anything, the way he presents his characters and their stories here has the feeling of walking through somebody else's memories, everything presented in brief but vivid moments of agony or bliss, eschewing dialogue in favor of pure feeling. You feel the paralyzing self-doubt that seems to wholly inhabit them, so that their inability to pursue happiness with each other feels even more anxious and frantic; likewise, it makes the moments of bliss feel bittersweet and fleeting. It made me feel alive in a specific way that very few films do, like it was actually teaching me how to watch it as it went on, and as if I was seeing an artist break through and achieve a new way of approaching and understanding things. By the end my heart was racing. It's hard to describe exactly why, but I've rarely felt so strongly by the end of a film.

Very excited now, having felt a similar form of exasperation and intrigue with regard to his current experimental style. Mostly it just looks like the cast clicks pretty well.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Koyaanisquatsi - 91/100
Personal Shopper - 69/100
Mulholland Drive (rewatch) - 92/100
Cure For Pain - 64/100
Get Out - 78/100
Pather Panchali (rewatch) - 95/100
Happy Together - 85/100
Chungking Express (rewatch) - 87/100
Moana - 65/100

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SimonCat posted:

The Lost City of Zinge?

Looking forward to this one myself.

Egbert Souse posted:

Carnal Knowledge (1971, Mike Nichols) - 5/5

Hell yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alien: Covenant - 70/100
Prometheus (rewatch) - 85/100
Kedi - 80/100
Dr. Strange - 68/100
Raw - 79/100
My Blueberry Nights - 66/100
Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 65/100
1984 (1984) (rewatch) - (19)84/100
Something Wild - 70/100
Les Diaboliques - 87/100
Rachel Getting Married (rewatch) - 88/100

edit

Logan - 75/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 24, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Alien Covenant - 4/5 if you liked Prometheus (which was a 4 for me), 3/5 if you didn't.

It's somewhere between the classic Alien films and Prometheus, for better or worse. Actors did a good job despite questionable character writings (especially the lead and Danny McBride) and the visuals were solid, though not as gorgeous as Prometheus. It's more on the action horror side of things than atmospheric horror.

I don't think it's possible to construct an accurate metric for this series, to be honest.

Prometheus is my second favorite of the bunch, after the original, and it's definitely the installment I've watched the most. Whereas, after a bit of consideration and arguments with friends, I think Covenant might be the weakest of the 6 main films, or pretty far down there along with Resurrection.

Covenant makes me appreciate the tone of Prometheus more every day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm usually bored by comic movies, but Wonder Woman sounds fun.

Not $11 fun, but for $4 and a beer you can count me in. Gal Gadot seems like she justifies the experience alone.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 3, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Marvel movies are dull as dishwater.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

coyo7e posted:

My problem with Marvel CU is that, at its heart it always felt like a bunch of old-rear end white guys in horn-rimmed glasses in the 50s were throwing poo poo at the wall and because they werre first, most of it stuck simply by virtue of lack of competition.. I mean look at The Frank Miller Batman, look at Watchmen, and then look at Marvel anything.. If it weren't for the X Men universe I could pretty much just ignore most of the MCU because it's mainly white male power fantasies which appropriate poo poo from minority cultures.

Then again, I grew up reading Dark Horse Comics so welp

Marvel superhero comics are specifically a 1960s phenomenon, and Frank Miller licks Jack Kirby's boots, you filthy animal.

edit; Watchmen is garbo, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wonder Woman - 81/100

The first comic movie I've genuinely enjoyed in a long rear end time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki - 86/100
Knife in the Water (rewatch) - 98/100

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

O.J. : Made In America - 92/100
Baby Driver - 72/100
The Drop - 84/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 1, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I mean, fantastic editing and sound mixing, but everything else about it was middling at best.

I'm no big fan of Drive, but I felt like Baby Driver had almost no identity of its own and, despite apparently being a passion project, felt designed by committee to appeal to the broadest possible audience in order to and also sell itunes soundtracks.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 9, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I really can't comprehend how your can come away from Baby Driver and feel like it was a cynical exercise designed to sell music. I mean what gave that impression beyond it being a movie that was thouroghly focused on music?

Well, in addition to the movie itself prominently featuring a colorful cast of iPods as side characters?

How about the promotional material, you know, a hard push from Sony Music or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirEgK7yJCg

Let's release it a week before the movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 9, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Here, I don't feel like arguing about something that seems so incredibly obvious to me, so I changed my original post to reflect your concerns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Maybe it's because I know Edgar Wright but it was pretty much just his taste in music. Like the whole movie is so pure Edgar Wright that it seems bizarre to see people think it was by committee. It just feels backwards to assume that in a movie mostly about it's music to think that the music was forced into the movie.

You don't get it. The music doesn't have to be 'forced into the movie' in order to be pushed as a cross-platform consumer experience. I mean, the film itself mirrors a soundtrack's eclecticism by integrating an entire swath of contrasting genre conventions into its story. But that's not a strength, in my own humble, it's just schizoid.

Chase/heist/mafia/younglovecomedy/musical/revengehorror/chamberdrama/roadmovie. Am I forgetting anything in this narrative mashup? A Guardians of the Galaxy style mom-tape? Check.

Sorry, none of it stuck. Worth a watch, I suppose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I get it, I've seen them. I didn't knock Baby Driver for editing, visual or otherwise.

Is film criticism off limits or something? :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A Ghost Story - 81/100

heh heh, A24 sent us a promo guy on opening night :ghost:

A24 :swoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Between Moonlight, 20th Century Women, It Comes At Night, A Ghost Story, and upcoming The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Disaster Artist, and Good Time...yes, I think it's fair to say that they are the absolute best right now. They're in a league of their own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It Comes At Night - 72/100 - Decently thought provoking, well shot/acted suspense film in zombocalypse-style trappings. Would've scored higher but it didn't stick the landing.

Dunkirk (70mm) 90/100 - Nolan's finest hour, if you ask me. I'd soured on the man quite a bit in the last 5 years but Dunkirk makes up for all of his recent cinematic dithering throughout the 2010s. I might even say Dunkirk has few peers within the genre, though it certainly owes a monumental debt not only to The Thin Red Line...but also to Malick's more experimental autobiographical films post-ToL, especially in the way it bobs and weaves through the temporal corners (or waves, if you prefer) of narrative structure, subduing classical line delivery in exchange for storytelling through facial expression and body language. The score is genuinely fantastic, if a bit distracting at times, and the entire film is a masterwork of careful editing and interweaving. Overall, it feels like a film that contains almost all of the trademark strengths of Nolan's directorial capacity while sidestepping nearly all of his weaknesses, and in terms of emotional resonance it breaks new ground for a director too often mired in cold, utilitarian feeling.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 2, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

You worded my thoughts better than I could. What size screen was your 70mm? Our's was a standard sized screen, but it still looked great. I would kill to see it on a larger format like IMAX.

I don't work there but from what I understand the Hollywood in Portland is the only true 70mm screening in the state. Auditorium size is ~375 with a 50ft screen, don't remember the exact dimensions, but I'll ask a guy I know. Another theater manager where I work went down and saw a purported "70mm" screening at Regal Bridgeport and apparently a huge section was cropped out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detroit - 73/100

A respectful attempt to do justice to a difficult subject. After a strong and multifaceted opening third the movie simply loses its way. Bigelow apparently thinks dramatic interpretation of heinous behavior is more interesting than the context it exists within, which isn't the case. In addition, a few glaring plot holes and extremely amateurish use of 'embedded' cinematography further mar a film that could've been so much more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

First timer here:

Twin Peaks (season 1) - 86/100 - Highly original, incredibly compelling and humorous. Prime melodrama with a slightly compromised vision, likely due to how dark it's actual themes are.

Twin Peaks (season 2) - 69/100 - Sort of kneecaps itself after Lynch departs. Spends a lot of time spinning its wheels, but not without its moments. Contains some absolutely essential moments in preparation for...

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 90/100 - Absolutely terrifying and heart-wrenching. Benefits from the tv series lore but also sort of overwrites it in a more grounded way, though I think viewing it without watching season 1 at least would make FWWM nearly impenetrable, but part of me is curious what a cold watch would've felt like. That being said, it's basically Mulholland Drive's older cousin from out of town. Too bad Sherilyn Fenn didn't have a cameo. Incredible stuff though, both riveting and unbearable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got any sevens posted:

I think the racism was the point

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I just watched Blade runner for the first time ever.

Things Blade runner has taught me :

Edward james olmos is a skeevy creepy motherfucker who makes my skin crawl

The scene in the freezer is awesome,i love the way Rutger haeur is lit and the way his coat gets frostier as the scene goes on

Rutger haeur is mesmerizing and steals every scene

Daryl Hannah was great as a proto android Harley

deckards apartment is an abomination

I noticed deckards eyes were orange in the bathroom scene

The android chase scene was great especially the squibs and falling through the glass, as was the next guys headshot

The entire abandoned apartment was beautiful I loved it,and rutger hauer smashing his head through the bathroom wall was hilarious

the ending was great

What version did you watch on this maiden voyage? Director's? Final Cut?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hell or High Water totally snuck up on me, so can't wait for the home release of Wind River. Looks so my jam, and I'm not one of these people who hates Renner's face which is a bonus.

Haven't seen HoHW but I absolutely loved Sicario, so I'll definitely catch this on 2nd run.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inland Empire - 77/100
Good Time - 87/100
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 78/100
Miami Vice - 89/100 (rewatch)
Columbus - 79/100

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Beach Rats - 66/100

Mother! - 91/100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

IMO the whirlwind pace and intensity made up for the lack of subtlety.

Yeah, agreed. I think it's his best film by a country mile, but I'm not a superfan of his.