Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Holy Mountain - 89/100
Probably the most scathingly anti-capitalist film I've ever seen. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

Mother! - Dir. Darren Aronosfky, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer

Claustrophobic, paranoia-inducing, haunting, and nightmarishly surreal at times. The film begins with quiet tension and continuously escalates into scenes that are terrifying, disturbing, hard-to-watch. Some audiences will hate the extreme violence that pops up. Others will find the allegories/themes over the top or on the nose. Personally, I loved the film. It was sledgehammer-subtle at times, but it was such a spectacle and such a masterclass in tension and repulsive violence that it more than made up for any artistic excess. The film supports multiple readings and interpretations but doesn't ultimately feel indulgent or sloppy. It's a unique film, unlike anything out in theaters this year, and if you can hang with some genuinely unpleasant violence against women and children, but not animals, I recommend it.

4/5

I feel confident saying that Mother! has some of the most atheistic (and frankly audacious) religious allegory I've come across in film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

I wouldn't call it atheistic, more Deistic or anti-theistic. Bardem, the I Am, is alternately indifferent to Lawrence's pain and unable/unwilling to act or actively hostile to her while excusing his cruelty with platitudes about pain being necessary for creation. In this theology, it's not that God doesn't exist, it's that his values are abhorrent.

I interpreted I Am I more as a pattern of natural behavior or inclination that is rationalizing/paternalistic in the extreme (perhaps nature's male instinct, or a patriarchal manifestation within the cogs of creation) but also a self-acknowledged in it's inability to properly assess morality, therefore somewhat indifferent to the more abstract pain, passivity, subtlety of feeling, and slow labor of Gaea/Home.

The remarkable thing is how coherently it weaves together chaotic, displaced visual references to the timeless overindulgence of society, material excess, manipulation of iconography, and the inability to finish even the smallest complete thought in our age of immediate information/disaster capitalism/terror war (with the extended horror sequence owing some of its visual motifs to Children of Men). The movie is an incredibly abstract fever dream of the human compulsion to despoil.

Now, it's all told within the framework of numerous religious parables from across the spectrum (christian symbolism, talmudic reference), but the focus is ALWAYS on Gaea's emotional reaction to perpetual horror, that is, Jennifer Lawrence's face. So even though the cinematic allusions to final-girls and 70s horror movies are spread on pretty thick...the focus is nearly always on this sort of reaction shot of the acquiescent victim, as if to force the viewer to finally personalize their destruction of nature.

AND...at the same time it's entirely cyclical and infinite. Very thought provoking.
Sorry for :words:

edit; At this point I'm not even sure I would call it a horror movie, even though it both has scenes that are horrifying and appropriates horror tropes. I feel like it transcends the genre.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 17, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 67/100

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hey do I look like I'm made of money here? They're not streaming for free anywhere, I have to buy those things if I want to watch 'em!

Blade Runner 2049 - 85/100

Absolutely mind-boggling visuals (the credits are literally 10 minutes long), but not a whole lot going on under the hood, and some people's fears about it getting too plot-focused are justified. Good performances, spot-on casting and score, though having to follow in the footsteps of a sci-fi legend proves too tall an order. As with Villanueve's version of Arrival...2049 is a respectable riff on its superior source material, it's just a bit too respectable.

Interestingly enough, the visual production design in many places reminded me of Tron: Legacy, especially near the end. I suppose that's fitting, as we're dealing with copies of copies of copies...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Blade Runner 2049 - 5/5

And big :lol: in comparing it to the Tron sequel :psyduck:

Don't be a fucker, I specifically said visually. There's a lot of red neon striped cars flying through fog...I think you get my drift.

edit; and to be fair, they're both very cleanly shot, minimalist digital mock-ups of 35mm predecessors.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 6, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Haven't seen Bladerunner 2049- still nervous about it as Bladerunner is one of my absolute favouites.

I do think the Tron sequel was criminally underrated though.

I think it's a bit underrated, too. It's a pretty earnest attempt at following up on one of the tackier pieces of 80s nostalgia, and I think the visual presentation and sound design are excellent. The middle act struggles a bit with pacing, I think, but I had a good time overall.

I really like Oblivion, too. I wonder when Kosinski will make another film

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I know Milo and Otis sure as hell does.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Capsule thoughts: Villeneuve has a small but growing set of critics who view his work as misogynistic.

I find that to be a bit insane.

If there's any demographic that his films are sympathetic to it would be that of women. I can hardly comprehend how films like Polytechnique, Incendies, Enemy, and Arrival could be seen to promote an agenda of hatred or suppression of women. Hell, even Sicario is dead set on demonstrating the moral decay at the heart of paternal systems of control.

I'm not convinced most people even know the meaning of the term misogynistic any longer, it's been so diluted by misapplication.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best pro-feminism movies I’ve seen in a long time and I’ve yet to see anyone calling it misogynistic say anything deeper than “but boobs”.

This, but mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

The Misfits (1961, John Huston) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Always love to hear about this one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, mother! and Blade Runner for sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Tell me about Loving Vincent because I'm still mad no theatre around here shows it.

The theater in PDX that I work at has it. It's been very popular here, especially with 'the olds'. It's beautiful to look at, sure, but otherwise dull as dishwater. It has a very generic score and flashback structure, and it feels like you're watching extremely beautiful PBS bio-pic programming. Scenes that involve animating during a pan look incredible, but most of the film is animated faces against completely still backgrounds which definitely feels less impressive.

Honestly, if they'd made it a short film rather than a feature they could've focused all their time and budget to keep the quality more consistent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

Can we talk about killing of a sacred deer??!?

It's amazing, funny, and brutal, with Kubrick-level tension, photography, and social commentary.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In some ways it's even more alienating than mother!, though I do still think that mother! is the feel bad movie of the year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

warez posted:

To those who have seen it already, am I missing something or did Nicole Kidman's character never exhibit signs of the disease/poisoning? I thought maybe I had misunderstood Martin's explanation and that only the two kids would suffer, but in the end she has a pillowcase over her head too? I also could have sworn the daughter tells her mom "it's not that bad; [she'll] get used to being paralyzed too" or something to that effect.

I assumed body-weight had something to do with onset, as it often does in the medical realm. Or at least that was the implication, but much of the movie is metaphorical, too.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is The Killing of a Sacred Deer scary at all? I can't really handle scary movies but I like the director so I'd like to see it if I could refrain from peeing my pants.

It's not particularly scary or startling so much as psychologically probing and profoundly discomfiting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

I can't stop thinking about the spinning scene. Jesus christ.

I also wonder what it says about me that for the first half of the movie I just assumed he was molesting the kid. Indie movies have made me cynical..

I mean, it doesn't say that much about you really. The film makes a special effort to associate the family's wealth and elite social status with actual perversion as well as an unemotional sense of logical imperative that verges on sociopathy.

It's an unsparingly political film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

as someone who liked mother! and absolutely adored Dogtooth and The Lobster, I'm supremely excited to see Sacred Deer tonight now

I don't think we've had as many walk-outs for Deer as we did for mother! but we've had a good number, and some people definitely have been approaching us while cleaning the theater to make sure we know they "hated this movie." :downs:

We even had a girl pass out the other day from the stress of watching it :getin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Conformist - 88/100
Twin Peaks: The Return - 89/100
Jane - 92/100
Blade Runner 2049 (rewatch) - was 85/100 now 87/100
The Killing of a Sacred Deer - 90/100
The Square - 89
Nocturama - 83/100
Lucky - 71/100
Take Every Wave: The Life of Laird Hamilton - 80/100
HyperNormalisation - 88/100
*Spiderman: Homecoming - decent/marvel
*Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - decent+/marvel
Ex Libris: The New York Public Library - 80/100
Manolo: The Boy Who Made Shoes for Lizards - 57/100
Loving Vincent - 70/100
Logan Lucky - 72/100
Noah - 71/100
Dark Star - 72/100
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 80/100
The Room - plastic spoon/rose petal

*Done rating Marvel/DC universe movies on a number scale because they're all the same kind of homogenized chow that goes down easy with beer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blade Runner?I liked it more on the second viewing because I was able to relax and put the marketing and my suspicions for the plot aside and accept the movie for what it was. The environment sort of sank in a bit more as I concentrated on the film's vibe, symbolism, and character subtleties rather than on its narrative destination. The presentation was better in the second theater, at least as far as sound goes, so that made a bit of a difference as well with respect to some of the sound mixing in the third act.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gut feeling. I don't exactly believe in rating movies per se but I think the 100 pt scale just works in my brain. So in absence of a conversation about influence, impact, and pros/cons I usually rely on how I think it compares to the films I've seen in a single year, then how I think it compares to other films in its genre, how well it has aged (if it's an older film) and whether it influenced other films, and if I've seen it before I finally compare it to all movies I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever given a film a straight 100. Most of the time all this irrational headiness seems to add up to a discrete number in my head.

So films like Andrei Rublev, Pather Panchali, Vertigo, Days of Heaven, etc I've seen multiple/many times and reward multiple viewings as they have gotten better with age. Most movies that score 60-80 aren't a waste of time to me by any means but I'm unlikely to watch them multiple times.

Most things 87-100 I would consider among the best films I've seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 4, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What would Vertigo rank on your marvel scale

pursuit of the glorious ideal/marvel

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Happy Together rewatch 5/5 - I think this might just be the most beautifully shot film ever. I could post screenshots from it all day long. The best of the Wong/Doyle aesthetic in my opinion, and amazingly affecting performances from Tony Leung and Leslie Cheung. It expires from Filmstruck at the end of this month and I highly recommend catching it while it's there because who knows when/if it will ever be back in print.

God I would love a Criterion box of some of the more obscure WKW films. Days of Being Wild, Happy Together, and Chungking Express (released last year and almost immediately out of print) all in one box.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FancyMike posted:

That doesn't seem quite right, I bought my Chunking Express blu-ray in 2009, not sure when it went out of print though but I think it's been quite a while.

Chungking bluray was apparently printed in 2008 and 2015, both rapidly unavailable. Leaves me hope for another shot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion apparently got the rights back, along with other films of his and are doing new 4K restorations.

My dream came true today.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (2017) -

Haunting, eerie, unnerving, unpleasant, at times darkly comic, at other times bleak. Elsewhere I described the film as a weird mix of Eyes Wide Shut, We Need To Talk About Kevin, and The VVitch. That's the best I can do. The film is a tale of cosmic revenge, ancient and unknowable, told with the weird sterile alienation of late capitalist creature comforts. It's kind of about class and kind of about justice and kind of about real fear and real menace.

4/5 - it's unlike anything I've seen this year, it will stay in my mind a long time, and I love that someone allowed such a film to be made

Yeah, with mother!, The Square, and Sacred Deer...2017 has been a stellar year for bleak as gently caress critiques of paternalism, capitalism, and class. The last time poo poo felt this dark to me was 2007, which was an especially strong year for film all around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes she is. The reason I kept watching the movie was that her character was so interesting. You really feel for her throughout the movie because her acting seems so real.

That, and mid '60s Natalie Wood was definitely easy on the eyes.

Anyone seen Love with the Proper Stranger? Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen together seems like an awesome prospect, but I guess chemistry would be a big requirement.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer: 1/1, white people are banal and crazy. The mashed potatoes outburst said it all, really.

How's your relationship with symbolism these days?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rick posted:

Also, aren't you fascinated by what Snyder is doing? That's why I decided to see Justice League at least. It's probably his best film since Watchmen, although that's faint praise.

Except apparently there is internet clamor for the 'Snyder Cut' :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd rather watch B v S than Age of Ultron, but that's not saying much. Comic book movies are garbo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

For some reason, bad as they are, the DC movies stick in my head...whereas the Marvel movies are forgotten at the door.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't know how people watch Marvel movies more than once, except maybe Winter Soldier because of the fight choreography.

Those movies are agitprop to the loving extreme.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, the Marvel cinematic universe is overt political propaganda :rolleyes:

Yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They promote fascist technocratic savior ideals, unilateral economic and militaristic intervention, and brand-associated universal monoculture, while equating civil governance as a waste of time in the face of world catastrophe. They are films that are generated by a media corporation which currently owns 1/5th of the total cinema marketshare, benefits from (currently and for many decades prior) a revolving door of corrupt hoorah business elite fuckheads, direct and indirect ties with the national security state, financial and federal regulators, etc, etc, that allows script supervision by the military whenever military assets are depicted on screen (which is often), and that puts pressure on journalists with regard to affiliated news stories regarding lovely practices by the parent company.

edit; Disney has also been directly involved in the creation of legit wartime propaganda (as distinct from agitprop) and since we're, well, perpetually at war...

Seriously, were you born yesterday?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes I agree that the movies drip-feed counterpoints on the occasion, and yet...

In fact, the technocratic natsec spy state motif in Winter Soldier is completely sold up the creek and nullified by the overblown illuminnazi story beat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

Marvel movies, like all films, are a land of contrasts.

Fair enough. :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Probably because it's not very good

Comic book movies are bad.

Bottom Liner posted:

Wonder Woman is a good but not great super hero film that stands out among it's contemporaries for being the first female led super hero film and being the first good DC film. It has a lot of issues though and doesn't hold up well on repeat viewings. I'd put it as a firm 3/5.

Bingo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (1991) 4/5

Yes, please!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Coco - 4/5

Another "hybrid" Disney/Pixar film to me, with a Disney-esque story but with Pixar visuals and voice. Absolutely stunning visuals and a fun cast of characters tell a somewhat predictable but still heart warming story about passion and family. Some really powerful emotional moments towards the end tie everything together to make for a really solid movie. I can't say enough about the visuals, Pixar once again proving they're in a league of their own, even compared to Disney proper.

I like this hybrid of Disney/Pixar studios a lot more than I liked Brave. I didn't see Cars 3 but this was a great follow up to Inside Out (though I think The Good Dinosaur came out after that as well, but it got basically no promotion and was forgotten immediately by Disney) and will lead into Incredibles 2 well. We also saw the Frozen "short" before it that's a whopping 22 minutes which was cute and fun but definitely too long, especially in a theater full of kids.

Yeah, Disney seems to be using Pixar to fill the gaps between their flagship animation titles these days, stuff like Moana and Frozen...which in my opinion are absolutely inferior to Pixar offerings at their best. I really think Pixar now is just a shadow of what they were 10 years ago, when they had properties like Monster's Inc, Toy Story, etc filling out their established reputation...and proceeded to release a string of consecutive 'weird' masterpieces like Wall-E, Ratatouille, and Up. Other than Inside Out (which almost felt like a sleeper hit in 2015)... I think Pixar has been sent out to pasture making bad sequels. I doubt the general public even recognizes the difference between a Pixar film and a Disney joint now, which is probably how Disney wants it but is a goddamn shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

My sister believes that Pixar made The Emoji Movie so it’s also possible people with only passing interest in movies just imagine one studio is responsible for all animated features? I can’t wrap my head around why she would think that otherwise.

Coco, 4.5. I largely agree with the posts already made about Coco. Very fun, sweet film. It’s exactly what you expect from Pixar but even meeting those expectations sets it above most of the mainstream family/kids’ features this year. It’s not hard to spot where certain things are going pretty early into the film but execution is everything and Pixar knows how to deliver. As Bottom Liner said it’s absolutely gorgeous. Coco is also a very musical film without being a musical, and I’ve been humming songs from the film for the better part of two weeks.

Yeah, I took the nieces to see it and I'd say it's mid-tier Pixar, not bad like some of the sequels that they've put out and not nearly as good as their most renowned offerings. It's pretty to look at and has a lot of heart, but a late-movie switcheroo really felt quite manipulative, and there's a bit of weird immigration security state imagery that seems too on-the-nose for my taste. You know what's worse though? The 20 minute Frozen 2 teaser animation that they play beforehand, jesus, what interminable drudgery. What happened to tasteful animated shorts before a movie, you know, the kind that don't undermine the artistic intentions of the main feature? Sort of confirms my earlier posts about Disney running Pixar into the ground.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 4, 2017