Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nazzadan posted:

Thanks Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy, that was probably the best trilogy I'll ever watch.

yeah :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PTizzle posted:

I felt the same despite, on paper, it seeming extremely up my alley. The performances were fantastic but I just left it feeling a bit cold. It's one I'd like to revisit when in a more receptive headspace.

I thought it was fine in the moment but pretty forgettable overall once I left the theater.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ending was crap.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Black Christmas is goated. I think it predates slashers entirely and it certainly has aged better than most of them. Fantastic sense of dread without ever giving up the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RhymesWithTendon posted:

I also saw Poor Things, which was a lot of fun but definitely not for everyone. Worth seeing in a full theater if you can, just to see the division in audience reactions. A lot of people at my showing were laughing throughout, but the people sitting next to me clearly hated it because they didn't know what kind of film they were in for. It looks like a quirky Tim Burton kind of thing, which it is to some extent, but there's also a lot of uncomfortable sexual content and gruesome surgery stuff. I've heard it described as a subversion of the "born sexy yesterday" trope, and I think that's accurate. Emma Stone plays sort of a Frankenstein creation whose mind is gradually developing over the course of the film, and she plays that transition really well and brings a lot of physicality. You see her start to develop an understanding of the world as well as her own sexual identity, but various male characters are trying to control her in different ways throughout. Overall it's a good story about a woman taking ownership of her own sexuality (including a non-judgmental depiction of sex work), with a lot of funny, bawdy dialogue. Cool visual style as well, with a lot of stylized sets that look like they were done partly in miniature, and a Technicolor vibe in parts. B+

I liked it, a bit overstuffed and very taboo, I think a 4/5 is on point. Stone and Ruffalo are phenomenal. It's gonna gross a lot of people out, like body dysphoria: the movie, and similar to other Lanthamos films very political under the hood. There's a vibe going on in 2023 of films like this and Beau is Afraid where the directors seem to have a lot of resources atm and know that probably won't be the case next time, so they are just stuffing everything they want to say into the film and not worrying too much if it all works perfectly, and given the understandable cynicism regarding the present moment in the world... they have A LOT to say. Though, where Beau is Afraid largely fell apart for me after the first hour Poor Things feels cohesive throughout.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The first hour was great, the rest was mid as hell

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bamboozled, but nerds this time

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Philthy posted:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)

A bunch of friends dragged me to see this movie when it was released. I wasn't a big fan of this back then. I think I may have enjoyed this a bit more this time around. It has some really goofy scenes, and some are so over the top you wonder what they were thinking. The movie does have a few moments here and there, especially the Spirit of the Forest scenes. Overall, the story is still not really my cup of tea, and De Niro as The Creature is just as weird as it was back then. Some of the sets looked like sets, while others looked fairly cool looking. Still, I'm glad I got to revisit this after 30 years. I must have a higher tolerance this time around.

3/5

My family and I watched it when it came out expecting something like to Bram Stoker's Dracula, which it kind of is...but man does the body horror vibe with the Elfmanesque score in the funkiest way, and I think my mom and sister were a bit taken aback with the Helena BC arc lol after expecting more period drama stuff. These days it feels like such a weird pitch for a wide audience, almost more in the style of Batman than Dracula, but I can't say it didn't leave a huge impression on my younger self. The stuff in the snow was all very moody and memorable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Passing Through (1977) - 5/5

Just one more notch in favor of the 1970s being the finest decade in the history of the medium.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

That’s not how you spell Police Story 3 or Drunken Master 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It Wallows

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Scanners is an okay movie with an awesome ending.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Haven't seen it yet but I thought I'd venture that sometimes the absence of a readily identifiable ideology is itself the hallmark of an ideological position, that is, cultural signifiers that support a loose affection for the status quo, even if they don't seem all that coherent as a position. Maybe I'll have a hotter take in a few days.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

One of the things my screenwriting professor said that stuck with me is that you can’t help but reveal your worldview in your writing.

Although she never said it, I would think that lack of a position would also be revealed in your writing

(Or it could be an intentional avoidance of stating a position despite having one)

Oh for sure, and also, I think a lot of people don't actually identify their perception of normalcy as having ideological content.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

After watching Civil War my hot take is that it was pretty good and will probably stick with me for a bit. People will also probably argue about it all year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The_Other posted:

He basically compares the Old Republic and the Galactic Empire to the Holy Roman Empire, a confederation of powers that each had their own governing system. When Palpatine tried to centralize them with a single system that would make the Galactic Empire unpopular even if the world wasn't particularly oppressed.

Or just America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yes, from the get go it was always a new-left pulp allegory of NLF vs genocidal colonizers. Historical antiquity need not apply.