Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Everything I've seen in the last couple weeks, review on request ofc:

Lyrical Nitrate: 7/10
Song to Song: 9/10
L'Ange: 9/10
Life: 7/10
Lady Battle Cop: 7/10
The Deadly Spawn: 5/10
Kong: Skull Island: 7/10
Get Out: 8/10
The Exterminating Angel: 9/10
Three Colors: Blue: 8/10, White: 7/10, Red: 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Song to Song: I actually really didn't care for Knight of Cups, and it was the first film of Malick's that I would classify as a failure. Malick's form had become so removed from convention and so ungrounded that its characters felt like hollow vessels for philosophical proselytizing. At the same time, it was curious watching his evolution, beginning with To the Wonder, after he so convincingly said everything he could possibly have said with The Tree of Life; I sensed that for whatever its failures, there was a merit to the approach, as he further fractured his narratives and eschewed diegesis, including dialogue, in favor of a more impressionist sensibility.

In Song to Song, he pushes this approach even further, so if you were totally against it in Knight of Cups, I'd be wary, but if you thought the attempt had promise, I can't recommend this enough. After bouncing back and forth between awe and utter frustration, I came to totally understand what Malick was driving towards. More than anything, the way he presents his characters and their stories here has the feeling of walking through somebody else's memories, everything presented in brief but vivid moments of agony or bliss, eschewing dialogue in favor of pure feeling. You feel the paralyzing self-doubt that seems to wholly inhabit them, so that their inability to pursue happiness with each other feels even more anxious and frantic; likewise, it makes the moments of bliss feel bittersweet and fleeting. It made me feel alive in a specific way that very few films do, like it was actually teaching me how to watch it as it went on, and as if I was seeing an artist break through and achieve a new way of approaching and understanding things. By the end my heart was racing. It's hard to describe exactly why, but I've rarely felt so strongly by the end of a film.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Chungking Express (rewatch) - 87/100

You have to justify why this isn't 100/100 :colbert: