Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Alien Covenant - 3/5 if you liked Prometheus (which was a 3 for me), 2.5/5 if you didn't.

It's somewhere between the classic Alien films and Prometheus, for better or worse. Actors did a good job despite questionable character writings (especially the lead and Danny McBride) and the visuals were solid, though not as gorgeous as Prometheus. It's more on the action horror side of things than atmospheric horror.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 13, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wonder Woman - 3/5. Gal Gadot is easily the best part of the DCU at this point and if all of their films were as good as this then they could have a future competing with Marvel. Chris Pine is solid too. Visuals were excellent.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 22, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DC doesn't have a formula, that's the problem. They're all over the place in tone and execution. I'm fine with different themes and styles, as long as the execution is there. MoS was a good start, but BvS was poorly written and Suicide Squad was one of the worst movies I've ever seen in theaters.

I like DC characters a lot more than Marvel and WANT to love the movies, but so far only WW gets to that mark (with MoS being close).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We are very different viewers and fans of DC then, because I thought Joker was the worst part of SS and completely shoe-horned in there and that Harley would have been a better character without him in there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Drifter posted:

Haha, careful not to cut anybody on that edgy post of yours.

That's the consensus of everyone with two eyes man

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Baby Driver 3/5. Lot of style, not much substance. Would have been better if it were 20 minutes shorter and had a tighter edit/screenplay.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 5, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm really not understanding the praise for Baby Driver. It was like a knock off Drive at best.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The issue and point he raises is that the soundtrack is basically the only thing the movie succeeds at. Everything else falls flat or completely nose dives 2/3s through the film. I'm being a bit harsh in response to the overwhelming praise, but I did still like it ok and thought it was a fun theater experience overall.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spider-Man Homecoming 4.5/5. Easily the best Spider-Man movie, and one of the best MCU movies overall. It features a Peter Parker that's actually a kid dealing with real kid issues, an intriguing villain, and a light sprinkling of Marvel Universe that's handled really well. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton both delivered. A great balance to the cosmic stuff (Guardians, Dr. Strange) that stays small and focused like Ant Man.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's worse than The Room in every measurable way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Dunkirk - 5/5 Saw it in 70mm. Incredible movie all around. Breakneck tension, gorgeous cinematography, and an ensemble cast that all perform with a realistic desperation. It reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road in pacing. Really tight editing and script. An understated masterpiece that will probably go down as Nolan's best, and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a huge Nolan buff, but I'd say this movie works so well because it's the least "Nolan-esque" in storytelling, but maintains his masterful touch in actually filming a movie. See it in 70mm if possible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dunkirk (70mm) Overall, it feels like a film that contains almost all of the trademark strengths of Nolan's directorial capacity while sidestepping nearly all of his weaknesses, and in terms of emotional resonance it breaks new ground for a director too often mired in cold, utilitarian feeling.

You worded my thoughts better than I could. What size screen was your 70mm? Our's was a standard sized screen, but it still looked great. I would kill to see it on a larger format like IMAX.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wind River - 5/5 Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner deliver. Favorite movie since Hell or High Water, which makes since it's the same writer (he also did Sicario). Brooding and emotional in just the right ways.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I went in blind and in the first 10 minutes I was laughing at him being type cast again only to walk out thinking he might get an Oscar nod. Really impressed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It solid 4/5. Kids were great, especially Bev. Effects were solid and Pennywise was really drat good. Can't imagine the adult sequel will live up to this, as everything that made it work so well relied on the kids (both character wise and casting).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mother what the hell/5

Aronofsky at his most Aronofsky. Symbolism was too on the nose for my liking. His weakest film other than Noah, which was trash. Jlaw and Javier killed though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Guess who got a movie pass?

IT B
Good Time A-
mother! B+
Logan Lucky B-
Atomic Blonde C+

How long did it take to arrive? I'm still skeptical that their whole system will ever be profitable or last.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blade Runner 2049 - 5/5

Just as Mad Max Fury Road did, this sequel builds upon and even improves on the world and the story of the originals. A complex and carefully constructed plot that feels very personal in contrast to the originals sterility kept me engaged the entire time. Great performances across the board, a powerful soundtrack, and an utter masterpiece visually. Possibly the best film of all time from a cinematography point of view.

And big :lol: in comparing it to the Tron sequel :psyduck:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Blade Runner 2049 was one of the best pro-feminism movies I’ve seen in a long time and I’ve yet to see anyone calling it misogynistic say anything deeper than “but boobs”. Even all of the aspects you point out are portrayed in a negative light that created the dystopia whereas all the real power is in the hands of the female characters and the act of motherhood itself. I posted a long list of the feminist imagery and messages in the 2049 thread.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 16, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wetlands 4/5 - After seeing Blade Runner 2049 and loving the girl in the sterilized chamber I found this German coming of age film about a girl exploring her sexuality and body and dealing with a troubled home. It's pretty graphic and gross-out stuff, especially in the beginner, but the performance has a ton of charm despite seeing the character do some disgusting things. Don't watch if you're not comfortable with bodily fluids, but otherwise this was a tight little story with a great lead role from Carla Juri.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thor Ragnarok 5/5: everything I want in a super hero film and easily in Marvel's top three (along with GotG 1 and Winter Soldier) and the best Thor stand alone film by a thousand miles. Great action, great humor, and a ton of color and great cinematography and memorable moments visually. Really strong performance from Cate Blanchett elevating what would have been an otherwise mediocre villain. Hilarious cameos and small characters abound.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What is the difference in an 85 and 87 in a 100 point scale?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No I'm just asking how you rate with granularity like that. Do you have a tick list or some kind of scoring system to be that fine? I'm genuinely curious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oof, I knew that Justice League having a review embargo was a bad sign, but it's sitting at 40% as of now on Rotten Tomatoes (who just released scores). Anyone here seen it yet and have thoughts?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Murder on the Orient Express - Solid 3/5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes, the Marvel cinematic universe is overt political propaganda :rolleyes:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I really want to hear your explanation of such a ridiculous claim

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wonder Woman is a good but not great super hero film that stands out among it's contemporaries for being the first female led super hero film and being the first good DC film. It has a lot of issues though and doesn't hold up well on repeat viewings. I'd put it as a firm 3/5.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SimonCat posted:

What about Electra and Catwoman?

Modern* but also those barely qualify as films at all

Seeing Ladybird tonight and Coco tomorrow, going in blind having not seen a trailer for either.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ladybird - 4.5/5

The most grounded high school coming of age movie in decades, maybe since The Breakfast Club. Saoirse Ronan is so believable and delightful as an awkward but confident teen. Laurie Metcalf is another standout as Ladybird's mom. The plot is subtle and smart, the cinematography is fantastic, and the soundtrack is a funny standout. As someone who was the same age as these characters in 2002 this felt like a perfectly captured period piece. Favorite film of the year behind Blade Runner 2049 and I expect plenty of awards for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Coco - 4/5

Another "hybrid" Disney/Pixar film to me, with a Disney-esque story but with Pixar visuals and voice. Absolutely stunning visuals and a fun cast of characters tell a somewhat predictable but still heart warming story about passion and family. Some really powerful emotional moments towards the end tie everything together to make for a really solid movie. I can't say enough about the visuals, Pixar once again proving they're in a league of their own, even compared to Disney proper.

I like this hybrid of Disney/Pixar studios a lot more than I liked Brave. I didn't see Cars 3 but this was a great follow up to Inside Out (though I think The Good Dinosaur came out after that as well, but it got basically no promotion and was forgotten immediately by Disney) and will lead into Incredibles 2 well. We also saw the Frozen "short" before it that's a whopping 22 minutes which was cute and fun but definitely too long, especially in a theater full of kids.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Disaster Artist - 4/5

Really funny movie that's made a lot better by having seen The Room of course. Terrific performances by both Francos and the movie had a lot of heart surprisingly. Doesn't shed much light on the mysterious Wiseau but is every bit as weird and funny as you would expect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017): A

Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are both so drat good in this movie. Overall it's a great film and gets REALLY dark at times but still weaves in comedy at the right moments.

Echoing this, though I give it 8/10 just because the young girlfriend character was so over the top and more of a caricature in an otherwise super grounded and intense movie. Every time she spoke it completely ruined the momentum of a scene and took me out of the film. Woody Harrelson was also fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Echoing this, though I give it 8/10 just because the young girlfriend character was so over the top and more of a caricature in an otherwise super grounded and intense movie. Every time she spoke it completely ruined the momentum of a scene and took me out of the film. Woody Harrelson was also fantastic.

I'm going to go back on this and change my score to a 6/10. I rarely change my mind so much after seeing a movie, but the more I thought about this film the more things bothered me. There are a lot of sloppy elements in both script and production, but the acting generally still carries the movie pretty well. I especially disagree with the original review I quoted that the comedic elements come at the right time, I thought they were really jarring and out of place many times especially when the son pulls the knife on the dads throat .

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 10/10 best Star Wars since Empire. I had a lot of worries about how they'd handle Leia, Luke's role in the story, and what they would do with Kylo. All fears were completely blown away by the fantastic script. The surprises were great, the action and cinematography were among the best in the franchise, and the score was Williams at his best. Rian Johnson has earned his own trilogy for this one and holy poo poo I can't wait. It really is that good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Just searched his name, he was the dude who did Brick? I loved that movie.

Yup. Crazy career arc. The best part of this movie is that it stays true to Star Wars but still has his unique voice, something JJ Abrams desperately lacks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Everything I'm hearing about Last Jedi suggests that the die-hard purists hate it while the people who don't want the same movie every time like it a lot. Which sounds rad as hell.

My really hard core friends love it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Why's that? I know a lot of people don't like the direction they're heading owning 40+% of the entire entertainment industry but I'm curious what your reasons are. And full disclosure I'm pretty biased because my wife works for Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - 4.5/5 Been a few years since I've watched this and we put it on the projector last night while drinking eggnog and whiskey. Great times and probably my favorite Christmas movie.

A Christmas Story - 4/5 I will always love this one for the Wonder Years-like tone the narration gives it. The dad is the standout character for me and reminds me of my father in law way too much.

Home Alone - 4/5 Holy crap I don't remember Macaulay Culkin being this young. Been about 10 years since I've seen this one but the slapstick humor and youth angst/fear dynamic still works great. I remember liking the second one more as a kid but watching both now, this one definitely holds up better.

Home Alone 2 - 3/5 Still a good holiday movie that kids will enjoy, but not as good as the original.