Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
For some reason I saw The Space Between Us(2016)! 2.5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Score seems high. Plz explain.

Sure.

It's not great. Script feels like it's a few revisions away from a finished product. There are some really clunky lines and it seems like plot magic is required to move things forward in the first third - lots of silly coincidences. Editing too feels unfinished. Tonally it's all over the map, scenes step on each other, abruptly change emotional direction, some shots linger too long after the scene ends while others seem to cut away mid-action. But it feels so sincere in how doe-eyed and well-intentioned it is and the characters are likable enough that I couldn't bring myself to hate it. It's not deep or engaging, but it made me laugh a few times (not always intentionally) and I smiled once or twice. Not the worst way I've spent a Saturday. Mechanically it's a mess though.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My sister believes that Pixar made The Emoji Movie so it’s also possible people with only passing interest in movies just imagine one studio is responsible for all animated features? I can’t wrap my head around why she would think that otherwise.

Coco, 4.5. I largely agree with the posts already made about Coco. Very fun, sweet film. It’s exactly what you expect from Pixar but even meeting those expectations sets it above most of the mainstream family/kids’ features this year. It’s not hard to spot where certain things are going pretty early into the film but execution is everything and Pixar knows how to deliver. As Bottom Liner said it’s absolutely gorgeous. Coco is also a very musical film without being a musical, and I’ve been humming songs from the film for the better part of two weeks.

Lady Bird, 5 - I’m still processing this as I just saw it last night. Lady Bird is a film very much about the relationship between moms and daughters and watching I couldn’t help think of my own mother, who had very complicated relationships with both her own mother and her daughter. I wonder how she would feel watching this, seeing bits of herself on both sides of Lady Bird’s central relationship.

A Bad Mom’s Christmas, 2 - The only movie in this set that did not make me cry. Completely misses what made the first movie fun. The central trio are reduced to self-centered, ugly people and their newly introduced mothers are less characters and more caricatures of mother types -the judgemental one, the clingy one, the absentee one. Completely misses how and why the first worked as a primal scream against societal expectations. But I’m clearly not the target audience: I sat stonefaced through the whole thing despite drinking beforehand specifically to loosen up; the audience of mostly middle aged women laughed throughout.