Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Okja's approach to animal welfare from a loving perspective, despite the made up CG creature, totally compels me more than the bitter and hate fueled approach of organisations like PETA. I'm very glad I ate a veggie stir-fry last night, despite being someone who tends to have a slab of meat with every dinner. 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And an F is being kind.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InterrupterJones posted:

That's funny, this is the exact same reaction I had after seeing Sausage Party.

I felt the exact same way. I can't see what it was that people liked about it. Maaaaaaybe if I was 12 I would've thought it was amazing, but I should've followed my instincts after 5 minutes and bailed. What a waste.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Your Name. Have wanted to see this since it made Kermodes end of year list for 2016, and didn't disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous visually, and oh god why did I watch it in such a dusty room? 4*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A24 are killing it at the moment, I didn't realize how many of the movies I've liked recently had their name on it. They're even doing that daft Channing Tatum fake dub show on Amazon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hell or High Water totally snuck up on me, so can't wait for the home release of Wind River. Looks so my jam, and I'm not one of these people who hates Renner's face which is a bonus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Freddy Got Fingered is genius on multiple levels.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

[quote="“Rick”" post="“476842414”"]
Freaked is the movie my life has been missing.
[/quote]

I'm super glad it can be watched and enjoyed today without any nostalgia, it was such a favorite growing up. I even still have a 6 foot cardboard standup for it at my parents house I think!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a a visual and aural feast, and anyone who expected more to a Tron followup were tricking themselves. Whether it opens up to the IMAX scenes it just looks amazing. Needs to be played big, and loud.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Since Xmas day I’ve been trying to catch up on the stuff I meant to see so far this year, so hopefully I can then get all the award hopefuls done before that all kicks off.

A Star is Born 3.5
Sorry To Bother You 4
Mid90s 3.75*
Skate Kitchen 4.5
Mission Impossible Fallout 4
Leave No Trace 4
Annihilation 4
First Reformed 4.5

* I’m usually super content with 1/2 star increments, but just couldn’t quite 4* this one.

No real letdowns, so the spread of scores is quite boring. I need to watch Show Dogs again to reset my brain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yes! I forgot about that one, trailer made it look interesting. Looks like Prime might have it too, so that’s useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always wonder how people will react to films that I think I hold in high esteem partially due to nostalgia. I'm presuming you've seen the full uncut version of RoboCop where the hand explodes etc? Not that it'll make a real difference to your opinion, but the extra scenes really add to the absurdity and OTT nature of the film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've seen some utter hatred for American Honey online, I've got it to watch myself and quite intrigued as to if I'll like it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm, maybe I'm getting it mixed up with something else as I'm seeing mostly positive reviews too. Damnit, it's gonna wind me up trying to work out what I thought it was!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Not really, honestly. Maybe the earlier movies are better (this is the only one I've seen), but although this one had some decent jokes, it seems like the writers couldn't resist reminding you midway through "This is a joke, guys! You should be laughing! See how funny we are?!".

I guess :thejoke:, but a lot of the jokes went on far too long and they were too aware of it being a comedy. One reason Airplane! and Naked Gun work so well is that Nielsen was so talented at deadpanning his delivery that the jokes were almost unexpected. Austin Powers seemed to take so long laughing at its own jokes that it just didn't seem that funny to me.

There's only one movie prior to that, and if you didn't like SWSM for the reasons stated then I'd make sure to stay well clear of Goldmember.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ant Man and the Wasp was such a drop from the first, didn't have massive expectations (MCU are fun films and I watch them all, but I don't eat/sleep/breathe them by any means) but I really found it hard to care about anything going on.

Take deserves an award for making Thor Ragnarok a ton of fun and well worth watching, when I was ready to write that series off based on how shite Thor 2 was. Kinda glad there wasn't an Ironman 4, because the 3rd of that series was naff too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, I think that came up when I watched it with my wife. Watching films with someone else who can't turn off their brain has it's disadvantages for sure, I think by the end of 'A Quiet Place' we had just reeled off so many "But wait, what?" questions it wasn't as fun as if we'd seen it in the theater where we couldn't have said anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please give The Favourite a go, same director as The Lobster. I dug Lobster, but it wasn’t perfect and I preferred it before the escape. Favourite is just something else.

Also drat that the worst movie you ever did see still got a 6/10 score. I’ve got some movies you just *have* to see! I end up watching a complete stinker or two on purpose each year just to remind myself the wide range of stuff that’s out there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really wish Creed II grabbed and entertained me the way Creed did, I’m not sure why it felt it slid so hard in terms of enjoyment.

My favorite scene was where Creed watches the movie Rocky IV on his iPad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zer0spunk posted:

It is a total waste of John Lithgow which is a shame because he's a good actor ffs!

He was outright terrible in Pitch Perfect 3 and it made me so sad, because Lithgow is a national treasure and it must've taken real effort from the filmmakers for him to come across badly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I can imagine if you don’t like the dialog in Juno then that film is gonna drive you mad. I always liked it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skin - 6/10. A seemingly fictionalized version of Bryon Widnor's story, who is a real life reformed skinhead famous for having his face covered in tattoos representing neonazi and odinist gangs, who then had them removed. Jamie Bell who I still can only think of as Billy Elliot is genuinely scary, and the recreation of Widnor's tattoos looks really spot on. The story itself is a bit typical, probably as I suspect Widnor's own story isn't amazingly exciting so a ton of drama and fictitious characters are added to beef it up a bit, and yet it still doesn't feel satisfying. A lacking script and deciding to jump over areas of character development instead to linger over less important details lets it down, which is a shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zer0spunk posted:

My only #1 so far.
Need to see: Booksmart, Farewell, Knives Out, Greener Grass, Jojo rabbit, The Lighthouse, Paradise Hills, The Lodge, The Irishman, Uncut gems, 1917, Luce, La Verite, & Parasite

I believe this is out on VOD or similar tomorrow, I hope so. I need it in my life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not starved for theaters but I don't think we have any IFCs here so I guess that's why I'm not seeing it anywhere near me. That's fine, a home viewing is never an issue.

My favorite local indie has decent reclining seats, which is always appreciated (especially since they do a deal for $20 where you get 2 drinks, a large popcorn, a box of candy and a ticket for another screening at a later date which is pretty drat fair) and a big step up from the place I grew up near that was like watching a film while sat on a bus.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3/5 is higher than I was expecting, so maybe I won't hate it as much as I thought.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Counter-review: Greener Grass 3.5/5. Wish I hadn’t seen the trailer already as it covered a lot of what would’ve been surprising moments, but worked well as a weird as hell look at suburban life. Definitely gonna be in the midnight cult screenings of the future.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happy to give Good Boys a 4/5 rating simply due to the fact it made me laugh regularly enough, which is all I really want out of a mainstream comedy. Given how few of those there are each year (that aren't awful at least), a bump in ratings feels deserved. Grading on a scale!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that’s a pretty kind overview of it too, it was crap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Miniseries watching style is amateur hour.

https://twitter.com/nicolewboyce/status/1201262216558723074?s=21

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Star Wars Rise of Skywalker - 4.5/5. Great end to a set of films that are aimed towards kids, but still enjoyable as an adult.

Star Wars Laughing at Crying Nerds - infinity/5. Just the best. Not the people who just didn’t like it much, but the ones who are so loving outraged yet again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sweeping? Eh I’m not sure more than a few noms between them. Maybe best actor nom for Joker but not a win. Not that it’s felt like a prestige year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Richard Jewell - 3/5. Good performances, and a story I didn't really know much about. Ruined by Clint "Wait, this guy made Gran Torino?" Eastwood who does the usual subtle direction tricks like having a video clip of Bill Clinton so you know exactly who he means when a main character goes into an attack on the government. Mustn't want people to think its the current government that are bad, no. And the media are just awful people, who gently caress FBI agents for stories.

Also a scene where Sam Rockwell gives some money to Jewell under the promise that he won't turn into an rear end in a top hat if he becomes a copy, which is then followed by multiple scenes of Jewell being a certified rear end in a top hat that the movie doesn't bother to acknowledge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just from your words I had a feeling this would be related to "Your Name." which was excellent an beautiful, so I'm definitely gonna make room for this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m curious how you think the movie played out from the point you stopped watching (if you then didn’t look up the plot just to give some closure).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What I’ve seen of the book is loving unreadable garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you liked Mid 90s, make sure to check out Skate Kitchen and Minding The Gap. I thought 90s was good, but those two were both better. Loved Kitchen, it was the perfect thing to watch after 90s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really liked the 2011 movie too, and then hated the sequel to the point I couldn't even finish it. A shame.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't take my word for it though, I felt like I was in the outlier for really not vibing with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m conflicted about 1917. It’s technically excellent and impressive to watch while feeling like you’re watching a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I liked that one. Distrust over whether the main character is a relatable narrator or not, a strong performance as ever by John Carroll Lynch, and thought it stuck the landing personally. Not a classic, but solid enough.