Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The word cancer is derived from Hippocrates himself, who referred to malignant tumors as karkinos due to how "the veins stretched on all sides as the animal the crab has its feet, whence it derives its name". It's just that when the life expectancy is 30 then people generally die from something else first, and when the tumor isn't externally visible it's hard to diagnose.

This is the sort of thing a Renaissance doctor would've successfully diagnosed as cancer:

Lung cancer, probably not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, I'm not saying that everyone keeled over at 30 and therefore no cancer; the mean age of death was lower and the variance higher. Point is the modern cancer "epidemic" isn't caused by cancer being more aggressive nowadays, or even because we encounter or consume significantly more carcinogens. It's there because the combination of not generally starving and modern medicine allows humans to survive a bunch of things that would have killed us 200 years ago. We keep on surviving until we hit one of the comparably fewer problems medicine still can't do much about. Cancer is one of those and so a much larger percentage of the population end up dying from it.

Personally I was hospitalized for appendicitis, bronchitis, peritonitis and pneumonia in my 20s. None of them killed me, thanks to the magic of drugs and really sharp knives, and as a result I still have a pretty good odds of experiencing cancer. In medieval Al-Andalus, I would have almost certainly snuffed it from any one of them (apparently even more likely: I would have been magically cured by castration, then died in a hunting accident or in a latrine explosion plotted by my wife).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Snipee posted:

Do we have any examples of captured Popes being executed in OTL?

The always helpful wikipedia has a list of popes who died violently, quite a few of them qualify because the middle ages were pretty batshit. The guy who held the Cadaver Synod is one.