Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wonder if it's more common for smaller/muslim realms sometimes, because the only other time I've gotten it legit is as the Ibadi dude in the viking age bookmark in Marrakesh

Also dangit, I wish you'd have started earlier because there's a certain joy in fabricating claims in Ireland as a muslim; because of all the churches you can just ignore reforming it and gain a great powerbase early on with very little effort as you conquest through it.

The fact you sometimes lose it again doesn't really matter; Sunni irishmen is a goal worthy in of itself and as you well know, green is the colour of islam so claiming the emerald isle is just good religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Oh God, do this, if only so i could imagine the Surahs read in an Irish brogue.
It's sadly way harder in the post Charlie/Viking periods, as you're much more likely to be holy warred due to relative strength differences.

There's also the fact that the main advantage is being able to use the tribal holdings way, way earlier than you should, due to simply ignoring them and just using the castles. Heck, if you have religious revocations, you get them without the recently conquered modified because you revoke them from the bishops themselves.
(Back when I first did this, tribals didn't need that law, as they had it by default. Still, legalism 3 and two law changes isn't super hard, especially if you spam scholarship focus)

He could still do it, but I'm sure he has plans of his own. And now that Norway has England, there's the start of a very big blob there that might take him out pretty easily.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I had Sunni Irishmen liberating Ireland from the pesky English once. It was beautiful. drat I wish I still had that save file. Converting it would be sweet.

Good luck on your LP Hashim.
It's always wonderful when liberation revolts happen to the AI, but especially when they create things like that.

IF only the revolt command was more reliable. :(

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I didn't notice that. On one hand, I get why he wouldn't want it, on the other hand :mediocre: funloving

The game really needs an Arctive/Atlantian/African invasion really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Atlanteans would be Hellenistic of course, in order to screw with the Norse if need be.

Hashim posted:

I'll be honest, I considered activating it, just for the alt-history spin. But what with all the anti-blobbing measures I'll be using (and the fact that I'm not that good at the game), there's really no way I'll be able to beat more than a hundred thousand Aztecs, especially if they land somewhere around Morocco. Since this is supposed to be a Mega-LP, dying after a couple centuries wouldn't exactly be a good start :/
No yeah, I get it. Though unless you are directly invaded, there's always swearing fealty and operating from within the Empire; that was actually one of my fav games as Mali; I was completely locked in for ages, but when the aztecs invaded I swore fealty and the inter-pagan malus wasn't that big and nahuatl is honestly better than Mandé (aside from the whole 'agnatic only' bidniss)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hashim posted:

They'll still be plenty of space for supernatural shenanigans throughout the LP, I imagine, though it's interesting that you bring up Hellenism in particular...
Honestly, if you're gonna have fun, I'd recommend seeding the Ibadi in India or breaking it up; that poo poo is extremely fun and good, even though their holy war targets are kinda dumb. Making Sri Lanka, the upper right corner kingdom and the jain one hordes can also result in some good stuff, though you need to give them some event troops while they recover properly. Reforming the Baltic Pagans is also some good stuff, as they sadly don't have much staying power otherwise.

Though even without your intervention, we already have some great scenarios; it would be rad if Norway can stick with England long enough, though I'm guessing Gavelkind is gonna gently caress that up sooner rather than later.

How is West-Africa in this version? All muslim already? I sometimes like to reform the W-African Pagans and unify them a bit, but if you're aiming for that part of the map that might be lame; especially if you're taking the game further it could be fun if you're able to almost completely block off Christian colonization. Make America Ummah or something.

Poil posted:

Well yes, but then they'd come from a similar direction as the Aztecs and it would be a shame if they wasted time fighting each other. So I thought it better if they arrived from the north.
Well, you could have them target from Norway to that part of Perm, that would make them target a different area.

South could be Mali/Ethiopia/Arabia. Chinese Invasion of India would be good too, as India can be dreadfully dull at times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well, that's why ya never run an LP in ironman.

Though it would be neat to run the game a lil in observer mode, then play whoever ends up gettin' Cadiz after it's taken over

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You better marry the witches. Have the high intrigue one be the primary, as otherwise she'll end up the primary one anyway~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

I love this lp. are those witches an actual event and you just get them?
The Witches are part of the "Child of Satan" event that he rolled; that's why his character is so rad and these things are happening.

It's pretty rare, tbh. I've rolled it once legit and I have hundreds of hours in the game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, even though you missed the first shot at huge event armies, the martial will still give you insane levies and certain other problems you might get from repeated combat encounters are, less worrisome for a spawn of Satan.

It's too bad you're in the wrong part of the Islamic world if your real dad decides to convince you of certain things though, but seeing as that would put you in the middle of the Seljuk emirate, that uhh, might be for the best. Be aware you should blob modestly just in case bad things happen; you might become a serious target in the near future.

Though if Satan now sends you to Ireland, it wouldn't be amiss~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, that was some impressive up-fuckery, though you were rather hamstrung by the fact that the Muslim CBs require piety to work properly.

What a shame. You might have to swear fealty and eat that dude from the inside now to make it through.

NewMars posted:

Well, here's hoping Mega-HRE doesn't become a thing.
I'm rather curious how they got the claimant.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If only Satan could have you switch religion groups rather than just to heresies; alas.

I guess they shoulda had the Voice of Satan modifier give you plus piety if you're muslim to counter this, but thems the breaks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would disagree with that being fine and would maybe even have cheated to get it because then having it crash and burn around him would have been funny, but different strokes~

Oh yeah and another thing; you need piety to change laws as a muslim; which meant that he couldn't do that either and to try and straighten up decadent relatives. It's something that the muslims absolutely need to function on every level really.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hahaha, yeah, no. It doesn't work; the moment you start getting virtue traits, you start getting events turning them into their opposite trait.

Satan is not going to stand for shenanigans of that sort son

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There is a voice of Jesus modifier, but I don't think it interacts with being the kid from Omen any

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I still think that Ireland is a good choice, if it looks too dangerous you can just swear fealty to the muslim king~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Ugh, this event. And it's always a valuable wife I that ends up doing it, too. Which alliance are you about to lose?
I swear, one of the greatest things about being a tribal muslim is not having to deal with that poo poo.

Tbh, tribal muslims are crazy good; you don't have to deal with the loving hassle of gavelkind and back before the laws reforms you could just revoke anyone willy nilly. Was baller as heck.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Jorvik's only one prepared invasion away from a comeback
Yeah, those never succeed after all the holy orders come into play for the Christians without the Jomsvikings, huge alliances or the player doing them/intervening. :(

Also lol, does CK+ make Iceland into 4 counties? Thank Wiz, I guess. I'm sure he did it all for me~

Actually, looking at that map, is there any part of Iceland that's independent? Could we fabricate a claim there?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hashim posted:

Yeah, the number of provinces CK+ is kinda ridiculous, why'd they add so many :confused: I haven't played it in a pretty long while, but I definitely don't remember Genoa being split up into a fuckton of tiny, barely-clickable provinces, don't really like it.
Of course, Iceland being split in 4 is a splendid idea, if only you could make each one maybe half a holding instead of a whole one.

The inflated islands are just because people love islands and a certain type of modder just always wants to make more and more.

Also you not taking the trading focus for the event is making me sad. The random friends you can make from that makes for some fab stuff, because the friendship modifier lets you do some cray stuff with them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's a very tempting duchy that's within easy reach, same as Tripolitania in the Charlie bookmark.

So long as they war them when the Ummayds and Abbasids/Egypt are busy they're pretty likely to win, especially if they've given away too many counties/are too decadent.

And really, is it so wrong for the descendants of Rome to take on the the descendants of Carthage. :v:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, I wonder which faith Ol Genghis will end up picking though. And which is coming up first, Jihad or Crusade?

Otherwise I can't see things ending up swell for you, what with you completely land-locked by superior Christian powers which you can only keep at bay thanks to your allies in the South, which are your only other avenue of escape.

Unless, of course, you decide to head even further north~

algebra testes posted:

*dramatic music sting*

edit: I'm looking forward to EU4. Without christian Spain the European balance of power could be thrown off in an interesting way. And that could have knock on effects depending on how you decide to grow the country (as a land empire or colonial empire).
I dunno, Seeing as Castille is still there, just as a Mega-Portugal, I don't see things changing THAT much...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, that was a lucky thing; did neither of the large Kingdoms next to you join the Crusade?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hashim posted:

Yeah, other than Ireland and Brittany, nobody major was really interested in it. Aragon has been dealing with a few rebel problems, but Castille could've joined, they just decided not to :/
Yeah, this has been a problem for a while now, how large players don't join holy wars.

Irritating, is what it is. What should be a huge slugfest is usually just "oh hey lets boat over to the pope" or "kill them a few at a time as they arrive on my land" if its the others.

And now you know that you must get revenge on the Irish for their participation in the Crusade! (Seriously dammit invade Ireland)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Once Al Andalus is safely under our control is when we can start looking for greener pastures.
Blegh, I still think it's a missed chance not going for it earler; It's even got that lovely Islamic green colour for a kingdom!

And it's still part of my fondest memories of being the Ibadi king of Ireland, though that was in the earlier start-dates when conquests are way better.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Unfortunately, Muslims can't matrilineally marry.
They can if they level their tolerance and do the laws; realistically it isn't going to happen until extremely late game.

Or if you use the rule to enable it by default, I suppose~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The magic numbers to martial is uhh, higher than 8, then it's what, 12, and 16? Below 8 means you might pick tactics that actively make your troops shittier, while 12 and 16 unlock better ones?

Been a while since I actually bothered to look at it because yeah, the traits and masteries matter way more most of the time; that and numbers.
Edit: yeah, with a few 13,14s and 17s in there

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

Look at all this fancy math and poo poo that goes into a system that then devolves pretty much into "never use light infantry but still have more men and think of the terrain"

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 15, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, the Jizrunids have the MOST unlucky rulers.
Not a single inbreeding, not a single ruler stuck incapable for a few decades, no random adventurers.

Seems fairly normal tbh

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Guš Viljar Žaš!

how the utter heck did an Icelandic dude end up with Jerusalem???

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RZApublican posted:

The same way you get a Scotsman in Egypt.
Player intervention is good, but I aint too sure he's doing that.

Though if he is, boost that brave man that will no doubt die of skin cancer please!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
If they were player controlled, they could very easily survive by building up cash reserves via raiding; as Icelandic culture should let you raid other religious neighbors, you could let a stack gather on a province, with one scout unit one away, then when superior forces arrive, you'd retreat then dissolve the large stack, then reform it to attack on the other side of your realm.

Alas, unless CK+ really improved the raiding ai or the guy in charge is an organizer/administrator, it ain't gonna happen. Or maybe he'll build up enough piety to hire enough holy orders to defend himself from it? Who knows.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Even when the Jizrunids win, they lose :(
If they had just gone to Ireland as I suggested, this could all have been avoided. The Iceland/Ireland survivor plan is always good.

Though I do run most games with uncontrollable, extra deadly plagues so eh.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hashim posted:

I'll be honest, I briefly considered it, but I decided to secure my position in Iberia before messing around further afield. It's pretty much impossible now though, some Scottish queen somehow inherited/conquered a united Ireland, turning Scotland into a power in its own right.
Yeah, in the later startdates you have to hoof it early. :(

There's still like a tiny chance if you fab claims but it's pretty annoying.

How is it with Iceland? Outta diplorange?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Seeing as there haven't been pages upon pages of unironic zionism I doubt anyone even thought about them before you mentioned it CSM, especially since the Shephardim would probably be a fairly integrated and even welcomed part of Andalusia at this point in contrast to the OTL where the Christians were in charge.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, there's enough racist, fascist and authoritarian poo poo going in real life now that I think most of us just want to avoid all of that.

Hell, there's probably going to be a Muslim registry before this LP is over.
Different things are poo poo to different people. My country is being ruined by liberals who are doing their best to gut education, healthcare and the public sector in general but that pales in comparison to American problems. Meanwhile, the people of Palestine only wish they only had to deal with a registry, so it's all relative.

Bot 02 posted:

From the point of view of someone who hasn't experienced the black plague in CKII, this seems like the rantings of a madman. :v:
The words "Looks like meat is back on the Menu" mean nothing to you now, but we'll see how it goes~

Btw, does CK+ have a github like After the End? I know it isn't on Steam for the usual annoying reason but wrangling around the forums for updates is irritating

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hehehe, this game is shaping up to be very interesting.

I never really tried out CK+, by the time I'd played the basegame enough to want mods Wiz was working for Paradox and I heard it turned to garbo. I suppose things have been turned around now for the better?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Outremer Iceland
nooooo it was supposed to be the other way around!!!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Should have gone for Sicily itself, but otherwise, thing have been going far too well for the Jizrunids.
Was thinking the exact same thing; heck you could even claim you were taking historically muslim lands!

Also, this is not the direction I was hoping we were going to! This is not blocking off all Christian colonization in EU4!

RZApublican posted:

What does the game look like in terms of religion so far? Is the map as hilarious as it usually is in most CK2 games?
If you want a great religion game, download the "Random Spawning Religions" mod and use the new setting for insanely powerful rebellions.

Then bask in the glory of random religious realms popping up everywhere. Reformed Romuva Iberia is great, same with Sueomensko England in my current muslim viking run

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Jewish people are the best in CK2. Loans in a pinch and higher tech rate? Hell yeah!
Heh, though back in the day the best thing to do was to borrow, then kick them out constantly for free money. Now you get less money and a bunch of bad events too.

aphid_licker posted:

Did not realize that medieval medicine was quite this hungry for dong.
Don't worry, with the new patch if you lose your dong to doctors you can get Satan to grow it back

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Got his balls lopped off and died before finishing the event chain to summon Cthulhu, 3/10 not nearly close enough to the Darkest Timeline. :colbert:
Is that chain more dramatic than the other one? I've only ever done it as vikings in which case its all boating erry day

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Mongol Norway, aw yiss.

Still, very irritating how CK2 deals with independence sometimes; there really should be some weight put into "we could not survive on our own" that has them go for overthrowing/elective factions over independence.

also where the heck is this "Celtic Empire" ? Is that Mega-Ireland there?

Here's to hoping you survive; you certainly don't have the numbers with you~

(Maybe it's just from playing the earlier start dates more but holy smokes Catholicism is way strong there. Like, dang)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, at this point I'd holy war rome and slam it with mercs and retinues. They're still only one county right? So you'd get 100% warscore so long as you rushed the sieges enough.

WilliamAnderson posted:

It's too bad he isn't the Caliph, otherwise a Jihad for Palestine would be a snap.
I never got whether you can even request jihads from muslim religion heads or not.

Then again, I've never played a game of CK2 where I aint gonna aim for Caliph if I'm muslim so I've never bothered to be Sunni