Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Huh, that's a very quick time for that particular event chain to pop. I think it's also once per game, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

So.

The HRE controls Norway.

Huh.

And is it me or is there a gigantic Kiev to the east of Europe?

Well, here's hoping Mega-HRE doesn't become a thing.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Since you mentioned not having a clear idea for areas not mentioned, here's one I'd like to offer:

The High Count - We often think of the Native Americans as being tribes inhabiting a vast pristine land which was ripe for colonisation, but many now believe this is not actually so. What explorers in our time found was not a idyllic paradise inhabited by tribes who had failed to advance, but rather a post-apocalyptic wasteland inhabited by the survivors of society destroyed by a world-ending litany of diseases. It's now commonly believed by many scholars that the population of America on the eve of Columbus' arrival was much, much higher than we normally think of it.

So, suppose the natives lucked into a religious/cultural custom that gave them a proto-germ theory. They wash their hands, use soap and alcohol to clean, practice careful quarantines. Now throw in the primary explorers being from a small island with little disease, and a cosmopolitan Muslim Iberia which also places a religious emphasis on cleanliness. The apocalypse never comes.

North America is covered in small independent kingdoms everywhere except the Great Plains and frozen north. Colonisation has to be done through conquest instead of colonists, just like with the Aztecs and Incas. The Amazon is mostly a forest, and woods near the river, and controlled by a relatively advanced state (maybe a republic to mix it up a little?).

I would like to see this.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

New Taifas

We've gotta secure our position on the continent before we look to the west.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Aljadid Mars, First of his name.

So I disappear during the early voting and come back to... this? By the light of Allah, What have you people done?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

Just started a little civil war that will probably destroy the nation, don't worry about it. Everything is fine. Just go back to sleep.:v:

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Sultan started it!

Once again, goons have ruined everything! :mad:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 3, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Sultan's slavering goons have indeed ruined everything, but fear not! Though the fight may be long and hard, though we will have to make great sacrifices, the victory of the Majlis is inevitable!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Sultan's slavering goons have indeed ruined everything, but fear not! Though the fight may be long and hard, though we will have to make great sacrifices, the victory of the Majlis is inevitable!

Well it has become clear that this place is in desperate need of a voice of sanity and reason. Unfortunately any such man would have long fled into the wilderness to become a hermit, rather than stay.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Incidentally, I have just discovered that my hermit licence has been revoked.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 3, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
B.

By the grace and light of Allah, you people are the worst whiners! I spend 300 years as a hermit in Granada to come back to this nonsense. Well, let me give you a reminder: once there was no Al-Andalus, once there was but a tiny Taifa, a speck at the south end of Iberia named Cadiz. There is no defeat that is final, no loss that is insurmountable. All we need do is persevere.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Once I realized that Jianzhou sounds shockingly similar to G. I. Joe when you say it out loud, I've been unable to prevent myself from rooting for them.

Well, knowledge of the divine is half the battle. :eng101:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
We could have a republican/constitutionalism faction? More autonomy! Devolution! Power to the people! Statutes of limitations!

Edit: actually, if we end up with a parliament it could work well.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 4, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It's times like this that 300 years being a hermit really works out well for me.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

I'm going to have to somehow work the burning of the most holy Dalai Ullama at the stake into the update. Because that totally happened.

I wish it to be known for the record that I led a one-man march from the coast to Cadiz to Restore Sanity.

You may say that I did nothing, but then why was sanity restored the moment I returned?

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 4, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Tax exemption! Tragedy of the commons! Estates-general! More wigs, More whigs!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 5, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

It works like this, see: first you get the land, then you get the power, then you get the money, then you lose everything to the glorious communist revolution.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

Yep, and a couple provinces also flipped to Yazidi not long after that.

Wait, Yazidi? That's utterly bizarre.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, Yazidi is much more akin to Manicheanism, but even then it's not really close.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Aljadid Mars, First of his name and member of the Merchants

People, why can't we all just get along?!

NewMars fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 8, 2017

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TildeATH posted:

Castration. The answer is always castration.

The only question is what's the question.

How do you cure lung cancer?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Option C.

Let's go full french empire republic right here.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Having read up to now I must express my complete bafflement and amazement that Goons finally, really blew it up.

drat you all to hell!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Well if that's your standard then the Merchant's colonization initiatives were an almost unbelievably massive, unqualified success. :v:

To be fair, an Al-Andalus colony is no 1. in the new world and basically poised to become an unholy combination of the USA, Mexico and the USCA.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Yeah I mean if you want to point to the A#1 source of our troubles, then that'd be France A) Existing and B) being right next to us.

Well, after we conquered everyone between us and them anyway, but there was literally no way that wasn't going to happen.

You know, just once I'd like to see an LP without France in it. It just seems like a constant that is driven to always exist no matter how ahistorical the rest of the world gets. Gothlp doesn't count because there, we are France.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Paradox games and goon LPs of Paradox games are the best arguments ever made in history in favor of autocratic regimes.

Except for that one that went full autocratic in the end and became nazi germany.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Rodyle posted:

to be clear, despite all the "how did we get here" post mortem blame games:

I think this burnt husk we've achieved is loving awesome. It's an especially rad contrast with like, PopeLP where everything is busted as poo poo.

What is popelp?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

MinistryofLard posted:

I wonder what happened to turn Provence from a merchant Republic to a monarchy. In game I assume low Republic Tradition which switched it to a Republican dictatorship and then a govt change to a monarchy (I don't know if that's possible, Ive never played a Republican dictatorship for long since it seems like the worst of both worlds) but i wonder what the narrative would be. Something like one merchant dynasty monopolizing trade until they had hegemonic levels of control over the city?

More like one family getting elected and forcibly nominating their heir as next leader and supporting that by having the army (or the largest army of mercenaries by far) on their side.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A great end to a great tragedy! Also, wait...

Does that confucian icon mean that manicheanism has the harmonization or sycrentism mechanics? If so..

catlord posted:

I'm still hoping for a comeback from Waono. Also curious to see how long the Red Turbans can go on ruling like that, you'd think the Confucian Koreans would be chafing.

Then this is pretty much nil as an issue, I would think.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

catlord posted:

Oh! I am super far behind on EU4 DLC, with nothing past Res Publica, so I haven't played it in a long time, I've never seen that. I wonder what that means for Korean culture. Do they have Hangul, or did having Chinese Manichean overlords lead to further developments in Idu script? Someone mentioned the Manichean's vegetarianism and what that might mean for Korean cuisine, but maybe that's not such an issue if there are different rules for the different parts of society?

Basically Tengriism can syncrentize with a single religion for bonuses and treating every province of that religion as the true faith.

Confucianism can harmonize instead, which does the same thing, with the differences being that it is a very lengthy process, but one that can be done with an unlimited number of religions. This means that it is theoretically possible to just keep on stacking bonuses if you expand crazy wide.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Hashim posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to be represented in some way just say so, adding commanders is easy and the only reason I don't have more of them is because I wasn't in the mood to make up new names. Just come up with an Arabic name or translation and I'll probably add it in. Would be useful for victoria 2 leaders as well.

I'd like to be in as Novayya Aljadid, please?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Truly, the last page or so has shown that Al-Alandus is unquestionably blessed by Allah.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

1. Re-unite Al-andalus
2. Maijis hold session
3. ??????
4. Dissolve into Iberian minors.

You have one step too many there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You maniacs! Why can't you stop blowing it up!?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm considering going back to being a coastal hermit. Or I would, but people keep shooting all the nice shore caves.

There's just no winning in andalusiaworld.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Truly, allah has cursed.. someone. Mostly us, but probably everyone from the looks of things.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

catlord posted:

I have a feeling this is going to be our own little Alamo. No matter how this goes, people are going to be talking about this one for years.

At this point it'll probably be some Twilight Zone nightmare twist where everybody but us gets nuked, so we're dying slowly of radiation poisoning, but at least we're finally on top.

And then we start stellaris with the Post-apocalyptic Civic. :unsmigghh:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Zikan posted:

very excited for the Majlis to piss off the entire world and get nothing like Hohenzollern but not be the most powerful nation in the world to make up for it

Even then though, they were going off a cliff by the end of it and were doomed to fall apart in a couple decades according to Wiz. Us? We're lucky if we haven't hit the fallen apart bit again by the midgame of Vicky.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Have no fear goons, don't be put off by this sudden streak of success. I'm sure that, in time, we will come to learn the true extent of our failings.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Did I have a character in as a general? I forget.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Here's a quick reminder.

Ah, thank you.

So, Hashim, did anything happen with Novayya Aljadid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
B.

To be frank, a noble oligarchy is hardly any better.