Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hashim posted:

Not to mention the 37 martial score. Jeez.

Look, this is clearly a sign from Iblis that a little bit of blobbing is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The League of Merchants

Let's get the inevitable bourgeois revolution rolling.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

the JJ posted:

I X of the League of Merchants, propose that we colonize these new islands, if only to prevent some heretics from stealing it.

Yeah, this.

eta: Whoops, nm getting ahead of ourselves.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rubix Squid posted:

I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants propose that we found an alternate route to Mecca! With fall of Filastan we cannot reasonably expect to undertake the Hajj safely and expediently. It is true that going through the lands of the Fatimids is possible however can we really trust them to stamp out dangers in vast expanses of desert when they allowed the Crusaders to take Filastan? Unless the Taifas believe we somehow suddenly have the power to pry the crusaders from their burrows in Egypt it absolutely imperative that we find another a way. I believe that Allah guided our sailors to the western islands of the Al'Uzur (Azores) to show us how truly little we know of the seas, thus I have faith there may be a sea route to Mecca!

:yeah:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Remaining with League of Merchants

eta: Do we need to notify the OP that we're remaining in a faction, or can we just stay in by default if not switching going forward? If I had missed this update for a day, would I not be counted as LoM?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 11, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the Naval Superiority Policy: Develop the size and power of our navy so that it exceeds that of our strongest plausible naval rival. Consider this auto-withdrawn if we're already the strongest naval power in the area.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

TildeATH posted:

Quiet you, with your superstitious ways!

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

Supporting this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this proposition. Though I would like to remind my fellow merchants that finding an alternate route to Mecca should be of higher priority than connecting with our fellow Muslims in the distant lands of China. Not that I see any reason we cannot undertake both mind you.

To be honest, I kinda feel like maybe clearing the existing and known routes to Mecca might be something to keep the New Taifas occupied.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What is the Ulama doing that is bad, I haven't been paying attention.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The only blue I see is the wide open ocean, friendos.

eta: lol but for real, that's so dumb.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I think breaking the alliance is dumb move but probably not the apocalyptic horrorshow it's being made out to be.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thread is going places.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Scrolling through posts you don't want to read isn't actually very hard. Take it from me, a guy who has often been ambivalent about jumping into the audience participation of these LPs and often just skipped reading it for some of them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the Grand Alliance policy: cultivate at least two military alliances, at least one of which must be with a Muslim power.

ETA: Advisory note, prioritize rivals of our adversaries (esp. France) as potential allies.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 15, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

Just a friendly suggestion since I can't vote on this, but we should prioritze allying with any of France's rivals.

Oh, good call, I edited that in as an, uh, "advisory note" since idk if I can change the proposal after it's be presented and seconded etc.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

I, Crazycrodude of the League of Merchants, propose the Make Al-Andalus avante-Garde Again Policy.

This policy stipulates that we minimize our piety and take any other methods to reduce our tech cost that the Sultan deems within reason, so that we may always stay on at least the same tech level as our neighbors. Unless the nation is in crisis and needs the resources elsewhere, every effort should be made to become a world leader and maintain a higher level of tech than any neighbor, especially a Military edge over France.

E:Question for Hashim: what tech group are we? Do we not have a Dhimmi Estate to appease/troll the Ulema with for that massive tech reduction?

Supporting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, one big problem is that it seems like we're on the rear end-end of Dar al-Islam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Merchants, live the D.R.E.A.M. (Dinars Rule Everything Around Me)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim posted:

14, Archaeology Hat, Technowolf, WilliamAnderson, Merchants, Yessod, Bloody Pom, Dick Trauma, Talas, General Antares, Rubix Squid, Ikasuhito, Mikl, Yvonmukluk, Samovar.

Hey, think you copied part of my post rather than my user name. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the Caribbean D.R.E.A.M. Act - Focus on nabbing territory in the Caribbean with an initial goal of establishing at least one self-sufficient colony* there.

*Based on what WilliamAnderson said, this means a Colonial Nation. (Thanks!)

(No idea how this actually works in game, lemme know if this is nonsense or dumb game mechanics wise pls :v: )

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 19, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed. The New Taifas are on the rise: once we can wage wars of real conquest, we need to be ready.

It is a little bit strange to me that the power to make proposals to declare certain types of war is only given to whatever the ruling faction is, so that now the warrior faction can't do it while the faction with no interest in doing it can.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Archaeology Hat posted:

I propose Fiscal Acceptance and Responsible Toleration which mandates that we extend limited privileges and toleration to christians who contribute to the realm, preferably financially.

Supporting this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

paragon1 posted:

I, al-Paragonia of the Merchants, propose that we extend rights to the other peoples of Iberia by accepting their cultures.

Surely some common ground (and profit) can be found? Rebellions are expensive.

Support this to whatever extent the game's rules allow for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Merchants, can't let Morocco get a lead in the colonial game when there's so much open.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the New World Diplomacy Act: Form the best possible beneficial diplomatic relationship* with one of the mainland native empires west of our island colonies. We'll need their help to deal with the rest of the native empires and then I guess the Ulema can go try to convert them, why not.

*Not a EU4 player so idk whether an alliance or a trade partnership or whatever would be the best fit for this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

drat, we merchants lose power once and we're already splitting into factions over three different contradictory colonization proposals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

WilliamAnderson posted:

The first one doesn't even direct colonization.

....yet.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I just want us to start dicking around in Mesoamerican politics, all right?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yo Merchants, I know it's a bummer we lost the majority but there are enough of us to vote on one of the three proposed policies at least. If all else fails I guess I can withdraw mine and support one of the other two, but... :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mikl posted:

That's what I get for leaving the reply window open then :shobon:

Hashim please count this merely mistaken late vote? :unsmith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim, when you describe things like, "They sacked the city," is this just flavor text or does this correspond to a decision you can make when a city falls?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Proposing the Naval Reconstitution Act: Bring our navy back up to its former strength as soon as possible, then expand it as feasible until it can beat France's navy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hashim posted:

Also, for the Merchants, I spent the past decade improving relations with New World nations. We could probably ally Maya after a few years and a few gifts.

Well, as the sponsor of that measure I'll just say it never specified which and so this should probably be a decision at the sultan's discretion.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, we have basically diplomatically isolated ourselves,

Uh, not true, we may soon have the Maya on our side!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Viola the Mad posted:

I, Sheikha Rabab bint Rabab al-Majnun, propose the Western Muslim Brotherhood Act: Let us try to mend relations with the Almorovids as much as possible. Our mighty victories have cost us huge amounts of money (oh, and people I guess), and the last thing we need is another expensive war. If we must go to war, it should be with the vulnerable Christians, or even with this so-called caliphate in the East that dares to demand our allegiance. We have centuries of friendship with Morocco--we should not throw that away after one king made a foolish decision.

In addition to my faction members, I encourage other factions, especially the Ulema, to support this act in a coalition vote.

I kinda like the thought here but I feel like the die is cast.

eta: Maybe the Ulema could just pick this one up.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's not really worth getting worked up over war with Morocco or whatever as long as we keep plugging away at New World domination. Worse comes to worse we can pull a Brazil for a while.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I should note that it was our sultan who gave the middle minaret to the Armenians, even as they take back the holy land.

I mean, it was that our basically become a vassal looked like.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Uh, the merchants are mostly lining up behind rebuilding the navy so

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Dear brothers in the League, I, Dansar rabb al'Ustul Alttijari, have traveled West to the Juzur al-Qarbiya and have returned. It has come to my attention that on the island of Quba, a large natural harbor exists in an area the natives call Havana. I, Dansar rabb al'Ustul Alttijari, propose that we colonize this harbor before the Almoravid Sultan claims it as his own. With the growing trade between us and the natives, having a large harbor will surely be a boon to us!

I'd want to do this but unfortunately the Taifas are in charge, the navy got kinda busted up in their last war, and it sounds like they're gearing up for more dumb wars so I feel like we at least need to have a navy in shape to deal with that.

Maybe when people start to wake up to the fact that the New World is where it's at, we'll be able to do two policies again. Or the Taifas will see the strategic value in projects like this (lol probs going to push to declare war on Armenia, Crusader Egypt, Morocco, and France at the same time or some dumb crap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Merchants, encouraged that new Sultan gives a poo poo about new world, don't even care where he came from, why he's Sultan, whatever.