Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've had a wicked flu all week so I've been binging past episodes of the opposition in the background while I work. It can be a bit over the top but when it hits its point well it's absolutely gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
I really enjoy The Opposition. It's no Colbert Report, but it's way better than The Nightly Show and even better than a lot of The Daily Show episodes these days. The best part about it is the hilarious cast, especially Kobi Libii. He knocks it out of the park every segment he's in.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kobi Libii’s report a few weeks ago where he confronted the Breitbart “reporter” was incredible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Hi, Trevor? Yeah, no, the fact that Trump is pretending to support some gun control measures isn't because he's been swayed by the words of the shooting survivors. He's doing what he's been doing with DACA for months, ie: pretending to support a sane position, making dumb people like you believe that he's turning a corner, and then pulling a 180.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Daily Show is now releasing the entire show as a podcast with no ads. It's fantastic and it's become my getting ready in the morning background noise. Only downside is obviously it ruins visual gags but I can live without the few of those for the sheer convinence.

It's called Daily Show: Ears Edition.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Majorian posted:

Hi, Trevor? Yeah, no, the fact that Trump is pretending to support some gun control measures isn't because he's been swayed by the words of the shooting survivors. He's doing what he's been doing with DACA for months, ie: pretending to support a sane position, making dumb people like you believe that he's turning a corner, and then pulling a 180.

Would you say he is playing chess in more than two dimensions?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
http://www.thirdmonthmania.com/

The Fox News stuff probably deserves to win. Because gently caress Hannity.

But I want to see The Daily Show's writers grapple with their audience choosing Rachel Maddow's tax scoop or Pelosi's Wall Street money comment as the ultimate victor.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 14, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

http://www.thirdmonthmania.com/

The Fox News stuff probably deserves to win. Because gently caress Hannity.

But I want to see The Daily Show's writers grapple with their audience choosing Rachel Maddow's tax scoop or Pelosi's Wall Street money comment as the ultimate victor.

There was no way the Rachel Maddow thing was going to beat the Paul Ryan tweet.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

jojoinnit posted:

The Daily Show is now releasing the entire show as a podcast with no ads. It's fantastic and it's become my getting ready in the morning background noise. Only downside is obviously it ruins visual gags but I can live without the few of those for the sheer convinence.

It's called Daily Show: Ears Edition.

So it’s come to this: The Daily Show Clips Show

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

So it’s come to this: The Daily Show Clips Show

Well sadly that was only the first few episodes, now it's clips and extended interviews (which are a good idea). And they've been doing clips forever, it's just part of any modern shows social media. Don't see it as a bad thing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Klepper's guest last night reminds me that Log Cabin Republicans are among the worst.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Meanwhile TDS did another extended segment on the taint.

Everything old is new again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Every comedy show on the planet is going to give a hot take on the taint this week, strap in for all the fresh hilarity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Change thread tag to

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

IRQ posted:

Every comedy show on the planet is going to give a hot take on the taint this week, strap in for all the fresh hilarity.

Oh sure, on Monday I tuned in late to Colbert and Amy Schumer was talking about her "taint team" and I was completely lost since I'd avoided the "real" news all day.

The Daily Show's just felt like a weird knockoff of the one they'd done years ago that's stuck in my head.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had to turn of Colbert early during that, which is saying something because I like Amy Schumer a lot. The whole thing is just so lazy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you can't laugh at taint jokes you're just dead inside.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PT6A posted:

If you can't laugh at taint jokes you're just dead inside.

I've had a really awful week so far so a little bit yeah.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whoever put this graphic together for The Daily Show's social media game should be applauded for including Hannity as a joke.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/973541882658684928
He was in there since they started the gag:
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/888438762153418752
Actually he wasn't in the most recent one, but that could easily be amended.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/979112046250938368

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Daily Show guest sucks.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Populism :argh:

Identity Politics :argh:

edit: i'm not even done with this interview and i'm hating this guy more and more.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 25, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Jordan Klepper guest sucks.

Edit: I just realized I'm talking about the same guy as the post above.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 8, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Echo Chamber posted:

This Jordan Klepper guest sucks.

Edit: I just realized I'm talking about the same guy as the post above.

Just guessing, Jonah Goldberg?
No matter what the guy does or ever will do, I will always remember him for being eviscerated by Jon Stewart in 2008.

I am assuming this is the right clip, can't check since CC decided to geoblock their poo poo.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/rlt7ia/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-jonah-goldberg

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The gently caress is the taint in political / political satire context?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Really good interview with TCrews on wednesday.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon Stewart: Live From Below Stephen's Desk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trevor Noah's cameo in Black Panther has been discovered- the voice of the computer in Shuri's lab.

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

haveblue posted:

Trevor Noah's cameo in Black Panther has been discovered- the voice of the computer in Shuri's lab.

I can’t believe I missed that, it sounds so obvious now!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Opposition is cancelled effective June 28 and will be replaced by a new weekly 30 60 minute show for Klepper in early 2019?

What the hell?

I really started enjoying the show and the cast. I hope they will tag along to the new show, although it sounds like it will be more field pieces. And just 30 60 minutes per week. In 2019.
So no, I guess?!

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 19, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know how its ratings compared to Larry Wilmore's in that same time slot, but if it was comparable, I thought the show was safe. Clearly, it was not.

If that time slot does not go to another Stewart-era TDS alum or Kobi Libii, I'll take this opportunity to cut my bloated talk show diet.

I'm now down to Noah, Colbert, Oliver, and Robin Thede. If anyone here hasn't checked out The Rundown, it's way better than Nightly. I still haven't seen Michelle Wolf or Wyatt Cenac's shows.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't know how its ratings compared to Larry Wilmore's in that same time slot, but if it was comparable, I thought the show was safe. Clearly, it was not.

If that time slot does not go to another Stewart-era TDS alum or Kobi Libii, I'll take this opportunity to cut my bloated talk show diet.

I'm now down to Noah, Colbert, Oliver, and Robin Thede. If anyone here hasn't checked out The Rundown, it's way better than Nightly. I still haven't seen Michelle Wolf or Wyatt Cenac's shows.

Wyatt Cenac's show is honestly pretty amazing in it's deep dive into American policing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some of the talk in the articles about "The Opposition" being cancelled sounded like it might have been an all around mutual thing. Really sounded like they felt it wasn't working when real life conspiracy theories are even more out there but less fringe than anything the show can come up with.

Jordan seems to have an affinity for field pieces (especially after his gun special), so this may be what he really wants to do instead. You just can't have all all field show run 4 days a week.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
he could do a once a week show like Jim Jeffries but with all road trips I guess.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The best part of Klepper's show was just shining light on the rabbit hole of right wing media without having to consume it directly.

While the cast was solid, I was never too fixed on the general "Colbert Report, but in the Trump era" act in general. The media personalities the show is mocking are openly malicious. Colbert's old character was based on conservative pundits who still had the pretense of respectability.

And as I said before, it's sometimes difficult to gauge whether the show is mocking Right Wing shitheads punching Left, or whether the show itself is a Liberal program sincerely punching Left. Because the liberal/left friction is still frequently on my mind as much as people try to pretend the rift is overblown. So better that Klepper wants to pivot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Echo Chamber posted:

I still haven't seen Michelle Wolf or Wyatt Cenac's shows.

Cenac's is stellar in both comedy and depth of material it hits (but this is aided by the fact that the majority of it is on one continuous topic for the season - kinda curious what they'll do if it comes back next year).

Wolf's show is... remember how when she started on Daily Show she was really uneven in delivery and didn't quite have her footing? So far it's that issue all over again but it's definitely improving week by week. The last episode having Hannibal Buress was a huge bonus.

Echo Chamber posted:

And as I said before, it's sometimes difficult to gauge whether the show is mocking Right Wing shitheads punching Left, or whether the show itself is a Liberal program sincerely punching Left. Because the liberal/left friction is still frequently on my mind as much as people try to pretend the rift is overblown. So better that Klepper wants to pivot.

I find this take interesting because from what I saw (and I confess there were weeks where I was more burned out and Klepper got skipped of the two shows), Klepper's program decidedly leaned more left than liberal. I remember one night being Trevor criticizing people for wanting to push "too far" and then Jordan's show had a correspondent argue for the thing his counterpart was just making GBS threads on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wyatt has a new show? What's it called? I thought he was still doing that People of Earth show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wyatt Cenac's Problem Areas on HBO.

People of Earth was cancelled even after being renewed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

END ME SCOOB posted:

I find this take interesting because from what I saw (and I confess there were weeks where I was more burned out and Klepper got skipped of the two shows), Klepper's program decidedly leaned more left than liberal. I remember one night being Trevor criticizing people for wanting to push "too far" and then Jordan's show had a correspondent argue for the thing his counterpart was just making GBS threads on.
This is sort of conjectural, but the impression I get is I'd agree with Klepper politically more than Noah, who seems to be posturing just a tad closer to the establishment liberal sphere of MSNBC, New York Times, SNL, etc. Of course, this is all conjecture. Both shows are made by committee by media-oriented liberals, but ultimately I'm judging the product, not the personalities driving them. Noah's Daily Show is still the more watchable, polished show of the two. I appreciated the sympathetic Antifa bit on Klepper. I was annoyed at Noah's take on Antifa.

I know I'm going into semantics here, but "liberal" wouldn't be the first word I'd use to describe the Bernie Left or student campus activism. Conservatives and fascists that The Opposition mocks clearly don't distinguish the difference between radical Labor unions or the Hollywood elite, for example. But ironically, establishment liberals, also aware that "liberal" is a dirty word again especially in the post-2016 hellscape, throw that word onto the Left and away from themselves.

Obviously, at this point my sympathies are more with the Left than mainstream liberalism. The nature of the Opposition's gimmick sometimes unintentionally highlights this confusion and tension (Is it self deprecation? Or actual progressive gatekeeping?) more so than The Daily Show. Trevor Noah sometimes flat out says what he thinks without hiding it behind a joke, so I can at least settle whether or not I agree with him and move on.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
I'm sad that they're canceling The Opposition. The cast has been excellent, especially Kobi Libii and Laura Grey. Tim Baltz is pretty great too. The show is head and shoulders above The Nightly Show, which was just painful to watch. Hopefully the cast will move over to the new show along with Jordan.

Edit: Just wanted to take a second to say gently caress YOU RICKY VELEZ. That's all.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching Thursday's Daily Show.

A Stewart-era TDS could have wrote a bit about obnoxious cable news panels in their sleep. This bit flat lined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Man, just found out about the Opposition. Really pissed off about it, it’s my favourite satire around at the moment. The whole cast were great too. I hope this new show is at least similar in tone.

• Locked thread