Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Umm, hi... I’m watching this “100% Trump Free” Daily Show and it’s nothing but clips from past episodes, and I just want to say the Daily Show loving sucks poo poo now. Please get rid of Trevor Noah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's a vacation week. They run half-assed "specials" in place of reruns now, which... I dunno, I feel that's more of a lateral move than a downgrade.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
At this point I'm only watching because it's the Daily Show, not because it's Trevor Noah's show.

I'll just be candid and say I'm a bit annoyed because I kind of feel like the times require political comedy to have a bit more than a viewpoint that largely doesn't threaten orthodox liberalism, and Noah feels way more like a standard bearer of Trump-era liberalism; compared to let's say... Stewart and Bush/Obama era liberalism. And we're living in a time when progressivism is slowly indicting the liberal project from the Left in general.

But even a host better than Noah would have a hard time looking away from Trump.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Noah is ok and I really like some of the correspondents but the biggest difference between him and Stewart is there are still bits of Stewart's show (and especially TCR) I kinda want to see again. Once I watch first 15 minutes of TDS now I basically cut it off (cuz I don't care about the interviews generally) and forget about it.

There was one segment on either TDS or Colbert about a seaside town in Maine and all kinds of crazy, hilarious poo poo going down (maybe involving syrup?). I'll probably never be able to watch it again but it was a riot.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Umm, hi... I’m watching this “100% Trump Free” Daily Show and it’s nothing but clips from past episodes, and I just want to say the Daily Show loving sucks poo poo now. Please get rid of Trevor Noah.
Give it to either Dan O'Brien or Cody Johnston, both former Cracked alumni. Cody's current web series (Some More News) is more of what I want out of TDS than Noah has ever done, and it only covers half of what the Daily Show host should be doing, and Dan's currently a writer on Last Week Tonight.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I have found myself ffwding through the beginning segments till I see one of the correspondents, because their bits usually are quite good.

Jim Jefferies once a week show has some quality bits now as well.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I crush a mix of Jim Jefferies and John Oliver and it somehow balances out to old Daily Show kinda.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like Trevor and I won't push it too hard, but I do think his interviews are much more relevant and interesting than Jon's, by and large. Fewer celebrities promoting movies, more authors and professors. I like it, it fills a gap that existed in late night.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have tickets to see the Daily Show in Miami tomorrow. Will report back!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Was fun. Florida Man got tackled which was nice. The taping itself was less than an hour, which seems super efficient, so props to Noah, the crew, and writers for keeping it that tight. Also, Noah handles a crowd as well as anyone in terms of Q&A and the inevitable dumb questions.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

swickles posted:

Was fun. Florida Man got tackled which was nice. The taping itself was less than an hour, which seems super efficient, so props to Noah, the crew, and writers for keeping it that tight. Also, Noah handles a crowd as well as anyone in terms of Q&A and the inevitable dumb questions.

If you don't watch/listen to the between the scenes clips they're excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A friend of mine dragged me to a Jay Leno show taping when I was in high school. I wasn't a fan of his comedy, but I was bored and it was the middle of the summer.

While the show itself was dull as expected, Jay shot the poo poo with the audience for a solid ten or fifteen minutes before hand. And he was EXCELLENT. Connected well with the crowd, quips offhand were 20x stronger than scripted, you name it.

I also saw John Oliver do standup literally a month into his The Daily Show tenure, and that was great if only for him mercilessly loving with a heckler for an hour.

• Locked thread