Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

The real issue is 2018. If he can rally his base with statements like these and win elections for people that will do what he wants in Congress, there's really no end to the rules that could potentially be
rewritten with congressional support.

He just extremely failed to do this in Alabama, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
FWIW I enjoyed Robin Thede's show last night.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

haveblue posted:

He failed to get the guy he endorsed but he doesn't really know what he's doing and the guy that won is more on his side anyway, so I wouldn't really say Alabama was a failure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, it's not as though Alabama is presenting and "good" options here. Just Bad and Worse, and I'm not sure which is which.

bull3964 posted:

He can't right now. But it's not comforting that the head of the FCC won't condemn his statements.

The head of the FCC is one of his corporate swamp monster cronies who used to work for Verizon and wants to kill net neutrality, of course he won't.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 14, 2017

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

haveblue posted:

Don't be fooled by the surface optics. Alabama Republicans voted for the Trumpiest candidate possible, while Trump basically sabotaged the stump speech for the eventual loser (Mitch McConnell's guy) by flat-out saying he didn't really give a poo poo either way and hadn't even met the guy. And then setting fire to the NFL, so nobody even remembered what the hell he was even doing there by the next morning.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
whose watching noah's chicago run?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really can't stand when they do a week somewhere and it's all just references to crap in a city I've never been to and don't care about.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
gently caress deep dish tho

really the direction that segment went was unpredictable to say the least

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Stewart took a few direct shots at Rahm Emanuel. Hopefully Trevor's willing to do the same this week.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Polygynous posted:

gently caress deep dish tho

Deep dish owns.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

IRQ posted:

Deep dish owns.

I've never tried deep dish but I believe that Italian guy, he was very convincing and I liked the way he took it apart.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
gently caress thin crust. Lou malnati was delicious.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The thing about deep dish pizza is that it's often really more of a casserole type of food where you need a fork and plate to eat it effectively. Also, I think Ronnie purposely got the nastiest looking product too. Still a really funny skit, especially because I like both types of pizza.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He also clearly let the pizzas sit out and get cold and yeah deep dish is absolutely not good that way.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

deep dish is trash no matter what temperature

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

IMO they keep doing the fake movie trailer thing way too much

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There is good and bad pizza of all kinds, and the bad pizzas of different kinds gets bad in different ways so that's gonna put different people off. There is a pizza out there for everyone, even the pineapple weirdos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bruceski posted:

There is good and bad pizza of all kinds, and the bad pizzas of different kinds gets bad in different ways so that's gonna put different people off. There is a pizza out there for everyone, even the pineapple weirdos.

Look buddy we have to have strong opinions about pizza around here and belittle everyone elses.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

Deep dish doesn't deserve to be called pizza, as it more resembles a garbage can made of dough and filled with vomit

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those disappointed with Trevor's portrayal of Antifa, Kobi Libii had a sympathetic bit about it on Opposition.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the Opposition, it's a great show.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Brief appearance by Stew-Beef last night, promoting the HBO fundraiser.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Radio Nowhere posted:

Brief appearance by Stew-Beef last night, promoting the HBO fundraiser.
He appeared Klepper's show and a few others as well.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Opposition's "Shopposition" Black Friday Sale being called the All Lives Friday Sale might be the funniest single joke I've heard in a long time.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I've been enjoying The Opposition a lot.

Also I have some questions about this The Fake News with Ted Nelms show. The first time I heard about is was when Klepper mentioned it on Wednesday. What is it exactly and what's it all about? Is it really a show or a one time thing? Is there really interest for another political satire on Comedy Central?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, Noah and Klepper have been back from the break for a while now. I'm still watching both shows, as imperfect as they are. I don't see the need for a new 2018 thread.

A thing that's irked me a lot about about Klepper's show is when its characters don't distinguish between liberals and the left. Like, I'm not sure if it's because the right wingers they're parodying don't, or if it's because the show's (presumably, generally liberal) writers are uninterested in the schism between the Left and liberals.

Like, I understand just ignoring the conflict going on in the Democratic Party and progressivism entirely, because the dumpster fire of the Right already provides too much material, but this problem (for lack of a better word) always flares up for me when Klepper's character talks about how Hollywood and MSNBC are Left-wing. And now, Oprah's a Leftist too. Maybe this is a problem that "says more about me".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Well, Noah and Klepper have been back from the break for a while now. I'm still watching both shows, as imperfect as they are. I don't see the need for a new 2018 thread.

A thing that's irked me a lot about about Klepper's show is when its characters don't distinguish between liberals and the left. Like, I'm not sure if it's because the right wingers they're parodying don't, or if it's because the show's (presumably, generally liberal) writers are uninterested in the schism between the Left and liberals.

Like, I understand just ignoring the conflict going on in the Democratic Party and progressivism entirely, because the dumpster fire of the Right already provides too much material, but this problem (for lack of a better word) always flares up for me when Klepper's character talks about how Hollywood and MSNBC are Left-wing. And now, Oprah's a Leftist too. Maybe this is a problem that "says more about me".

The only people who make this distinction are capital L Leftists and middle aged white women who still blame bernie for hillary loving the dog in 2016.

So I feel your pain, but don't expect the late night comedy guys to get this granular. The politicians that have taken the progressive vote for granted all this time certainly don't.

So The Opposition actually got ok? Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

IRQ posted:

So The Opposition actually got ok? Maybe it's time to give it another shot.
I'm not sure. I've been giving most of these "Daily Show legacy shows" a greater benefit of the doubt than most people would. I guess most people would have dropped the show by now from Trump-era satire fatigue. It's not worse than Nightly. Klepper probably wouldn't disagree he's nowhere near as good as Colbert was on the Report. And all the comedy shows are struggling with coming up with new ways to mock Trump and Breitbart.

The MVP of The Opposition is Kobi Libii. His field pieces are pretty much solid Daily Show field pieces.

And speaking of Nightly, I'm still watching Robin Thede's BET show. I like it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 10, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm digging Opposition more but I also think it developed more solid cast out the gate than a few of the rough starts of TDS new players.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That segment on Breitbart 'reporting' last night killed it, better than almost anything Nightly did.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

That segment on Breitbart 'reporting' last night killed it, better than almost anything Nightly did.
For those who don't watch Klepper, here's the two-part segment. It might be the best thing to come from the show.

https://youtu.be/SkgWXIjBEIU

https://youtu.be/fhniP-mAChI

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Hassan's piece tonight was, um, not well thought-out.:uggh:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, we can debate on whether the Opposition is better or worse than TDS, or the Colbert Report, or other late night shows, but it’s in a completely different league to The Nightly Show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
People didn't want to see the new Ghostbusters, I'm sorry. It's been over a year, is there any point to still doing jokes about that?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trevor has been very reluctant to criticize Hillary when it would've been warranted. And his reluctance extended beyond just wanting to keep his eye on the ball with Trump and the GOP.

So I was kind of impressed that he pretty much called Hillary a hypocrite for not accepting much responsibility for protecting Burns Strider.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 30, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm watching the Rose McGowan interview from last night and I can't tell if she's crazy or not...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

When I saw her on Colbert the other night I felt like leaning towards a leeeeetle crazy.
Let's settle for "extroverted".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

Trevor has been very reluctant to criticize Hillary when it would've been warranted. And his reluctance extended beyond just wanting to keep his eye on the ball with Trump and the GOP.

So I was kind of impressed that he pretty much called Hillary a hypocrite for not accepting much responsibility for protecting Burns Strider.
He was pretty reserved in the critique, like you'd be in an actual serious conversation, and not making GBS threads on her like anyone would with Trump, but at least it's something.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
She may jumped around a lot of different stories in both interviews, but I thought I got her point in most of them.

Also... https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/917844865806778368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Klepper had an opening a while back after a shooting where he made his point by just not being able to find this week's shooting under all the newspapers of the years prior mass shootings and it makes me sad I can't find it on youtube.

• Locked thread