Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I think it was unrealistic to expect Trevor to be a drop-in replacement for Jon. The show is still more or less the same, but Trevor has his own approach to it because he comes from a radically different background than most of us. He's definitely getting more focused now, and it's because Trump is, as you said, Trevor's "9/11 moment," except for the fact that Trump is far, far worse for America than 9/11. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

hes worse than 3 wars and trillions lost?

It's a slight exaggeration, but only in the sense that he hasn't even been inaugurated yet and doesn't have any real power at the moment. Trump is a racist, narcissistic, climate-change-denying demagogue who thinks he's always right, is always the smartest person in the room, is ignoring the expertise of all of this nation's intelligence agencies, will have control of the entire US armed forces and nuclear arsenal, is easily manipulated and is buddying up with our greatest enemy, Putin's Russia.

Like, I admire you for being optimistic but I honestly can't see anything good about Trump in the White House. I don't want to get too off-topic and have to go into too much detail, but suffice it to say I really think that Trump is worse than the 9/11 attacks* and is the analogue for Trevor as his "national tragedy" moment.

*Also I was referring to the attacks themselves, as in the direct loss of life and the immediate economic consequences rather than the wars started afterward and their effects, particularly considering the Iraq invasion is kind of Bush's vendetta anyway.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mdemone posted:

So it's back on ye olde DVR list, but having kids kind of makes it hard to work through even a small backlog. Urgh.

I generally skip the guests on talk shows unless I'm really interested in them; I just don't have the time to watch everything I want to so have to cut things out where possible. TDS is only ~22 minutes in the first place, but at least the guest segments chop off maybe 1/3 of that. I watch the first segment of The Late Show and fortunately it cuts the 60 minutes down to about 15.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eh, I don't know, I remember the pre-Stewart days (shudder!) and I still like the show. Trevor's different but the show's largely bigly the same. I think it's just been quiet here because the show is generally pretty consistent and routine, rather than having a once-a-week bombshell segment like LWT, for example.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rujasu posted:

I don't think the actual quality of the show is the only issue. During the Bush admin, there was Stewart and that was it. Eventually he had Colbert batting cleanup behind him, but you still watched Jon first either way. Now Colbert, Oliver, Bee, and probably like 8 other people I'm forgetting are all doing unofficial TDS spinoffs on other channels and drawing away attention. There are some people who will watch all of the shows, but that's a lot of TV.

I watch TDS, LWT, FF, and the first segment of TLS, but none of those other late night talk shows (sorry Seth, gently caress Fallon, etc.) Only the Daily Show alumni.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, felt like an ARG/viral thing where they try to make it seem like someone hacked the feed. Something to do with Russia and the president.

Edit: it listed a site:
http://www.thepresidentshow.ru
(registered by Viacom, spoilers!)
redirects to a twitter account in russian

Lemme guess, they want people to follow this account, thinking he will leak stuff like the piss tape, then on Saturday (April Fool's Day), they prank everyone.

Twitter account followed by Comedy Central. :rolleyes:

Still, looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So I've been watching The Daily Show since it's Bush-era heyday. Years and years of great bits many of which did a fantastic job of communicating complex political concepts in a quick and very laymen way. I'm sure a lot of it was edited to make their point not every argument was that well made, but I was always impressed with how they were able to make politics accessible and completely drive a point home.

My step-dad is not a terrible human being. He took in a black kid that wasn't his and outside of being a little neurotic about cleanliness, has always treated me well, certainly better than some other blood-related members of my family. He's also a Republican. But he's not an rear end in a top hat. He doesn't drive a truck that's modified to shoot out huge plums of coal smoke or jack up the AC on Earth Day. In fact he's quite the opposite, he's a health food nut who's even more rabid about recycling than I am and freaks out when anyone leaves the lights on in an empty room or turns on the heat or ac. So I guess in that regard he's more of a business-wing Republican. Anyway, I can tell that he's not unreachable. His primary problem is that he watches way too much fox news and it poisons his brain with a lot of what you expect; logical fallacies, cherry picking, etc.

I would like to use some select Daily Show clips to try and help reach my Republican step-dad. After years of watching The Daily Show it all tends to blend together. Yet I know there are some great bits out there that he would benefit from seeing, because they make their point in a way that makes it clear just how insane and messed up the situation is. I'm looking for clips like the coverage of the Climate Change Committee and John Oliver's series on Gun Control in Australia. Also anything that shows how utterly terrible fox news is, is a plus.

What recommendations of really compelling Daily Show clips can you goons make?

"Nice guy" + "watches and is easily fooled by Faux News" != "a nice guy" unfortunately. Or at least not an intelligent guy. :(

Anyways, what you're asking for is kind of a difficult proposition because there's almost 2 decades of material to go through (not the Kilbourne years, though.) I guess you could watch the show on an ongoing basis, or catch the clips posted to FB or YT or wherever and share the ones you like. In general the stuff you're asking for is when the research department finds A/V of Recucklicans contradicting themselves and then Jon/Trevor rips into them for their hypocrisy (e.g. the Recucklicans endorsing Merrick Garland before he was nominated by Obama.) Really though, what you need to do is to get him to stop watching Faux News. The antidote isn't going to help if he keeps drinking the poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PicklePants posted:

A lot of the parts of The Nightly Show were better than the whole.

Some of the comedy skits.. just kind of sucked. I liked very few of the Ricky Velez skits.

It gave me Franchesca Ramsey. I will forever be thankful for that, I didn't know about her before. All of her stuff was pretty amazing.

The panel was.. usually the worst. Sometimes they'd have on great guests, but no one every got time to really say anything. A snippet here, and there, and boom. Moving on. And some people just had trash opinions, and there wasn't enough time to really refute those ideas. They they had on good guests, they never had enough time to really explain. It was just too short of a segment to be of any good.

This was pretty much it. A discussion among comedians cracking jokes in-between trying to have a serious conversation can work, but not really between like 5 people on a 30-minute show, that's really 22 minutes without commercials, and even less when you take out the intro/outro and any skits, etc. I think I was mostly interested in TNS because it reminded me of Tough Crowd (and I guess also to an extent Bill Maher's shows.)

• Locked thread