Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Daily Show returns January 3rd with guest Michael Che.

Context for thread title

This is The Daily Show thread; we've had one every year for like a decade, even though discussion of the show was admittedly drying up a bit near the end of 2016. But who knows; America is entering the Trump years now, and I'm betting we ain't seen nothing yet despite the clusterfuck that was 2016. In some ways Trump seems like an adaption of right wing politics; he can't be hurt the same way Dubya was worn down by Stewart and Colbert. We'll see how the next generation handles a reactionary administration that mostly dropped the pretense of respectability.

The Daily Show News Team
Trevor Noah
Jordan Klepper
Hasan Minhaj
Desi Lydic
Roy Wood, Jr.
Ronny Chieng
Adam Lowitt
Eliza Cossio
Michelle Wolf
Lewis Black

Oral history of The Daily Show for those who still want to look back at the Stewart years.
2016 thread
Discussion of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert belongs in the Late Night thread. Sam Bee and John Oliver have their own threads.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, Trump may have seemed like he was pure teflon or adamantium during the campaign; but people seem to forget just how unreliable and pathologically dishonest and destructive Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Alberto were.

I don't disagree that Trump is a unique threat in ways Bush wasn't, but in some ways Trump is still going to be the new figurehead of the same corrupt regime. The biggest problem will be whether they can crack the idea that "nothing matters" in Trump's America. It's a big challenge, and I think Stewart would have also struggled.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Caught up on the last two episodes.

The book that Wednesday's guest was peddling sounds terrible. I like Obama enough; but his presidency will mainly be useful in that a future Democrat can make the case "We tried tackling it Obama's way; let's try it another way." And some progress in social issues.

I hope Trevor keeps scrutinizing HUD just so he'll have every excuse to do the impression.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Very tangential, but if you're hungry for a little more Report, last night's Colbert had a callback to the On Notice board.

Also, this bit feels very much like an old Report bit. The end of it gives me an excuse to share it in this thread.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I started watching The Daily Show in 2001 when I was 14. I still watch it today, but I feel like I'm in the older end of its intended audience now. I'm still a little bit younger than Trevor himself, for what it's worth. But I can imagine someone Trevor's age or older giving up because they've been expecting the host to impart some wisdom and long-term perspective.

Like I kind of feel like the show is still geared more towards people who "only started following politics" somewhat recently; not necessarily for audiences who have vivid memories of the political landscape of the early days of George W. Bush's administration, which in some ways was more bleak than it is now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The bit's infuriating or the subjects?

It made the point that people protesting are real. I didn't think it was that funny.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
WINNERS
YOUNG
HEALTHY
INSURERS

LOSERS
ELDERLY
POOR
SICK

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Majorian posted:

Great interview tonight, but horrible sketch by Roy Wood. Black twitter is awesome, but there are more insane racist shitlords and Macedonian fake-news spreaders on twitter than black people. Twitter must be destroyed.
Black Twitter is the only redeeming part of Twitter.

The rest is either an alt-right/gamergate shithole or white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters fighting over who's more woke.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There was also a lot of clip episodes during Stewart's run. At least his early and middle years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Radio Nowhere posted:

So was The President Show as bad as expected?
I gave it a shot. Meh. I guess it's not worse than L'il Bush.

I agree with the AV Club review that the highlight of it was Donald imagining himself drowning. But yeah, I'm not going to see if this show improves. It's a good impression. Wished the guy had better stuff to work with.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But "That's My Bush" was great because it was aggressively apolitical. "L'il Bush" was awful.

I don't think Saturday was precisely the victory lap for Hasan Minhaj or Sam Bee that people were spinning it as. Those events were the perfect foil for Trump; and it pretty much validated the story Trump's been telling, which is the Washington media, Hollywood, and now the so-called "comedy establishment" all gathering around, wearing fancy clothes, drinking champagne at fancy events and mocking the Dear Leader that "real america" elected.

I guess what I'm really saying is that despite liking the performances in the past like Colbert and Wilmore's, the WHCD is emblematic of why people dislike Washington, if not a more abstract "media establishment".

I guess Hasan Minhaj, Sam Bee, and Donald Trump were all winners of Saturday night.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

That's something I've started to notice about Noah's Daily Show recently. It was certainly liberal before, but now it seems a bit more...elitist, I guess? Like any dissenting view isn't mentioned or gets held up as wrong. When that's part of why the President they don't like was elected, you'd think they'd lighten up on the 'you're with us or you're stupid/racist/sexist/etc' stuff.
Slightly elitest? Yeah. But I don't think it's a matter if "dissent". I don't disagree that people who voted for Trump have shown a damning disregard for immigrants, black lives, and women, even if they rationalized it with Trump's enticing promises with jobs and economic revival.

Stewart, while unambiguously a media liberal, tried distancing himself from the red state vs. blue state cultural divide, and usually postured himself as the media's ombudsman, with his "CNN sucks" and "CBNC sucks" moments being even more hilarious than his "Fox News sucks" bits.

Noah and Bee inherited the Stewart legacy, but also a more populist climate when both open racism and income inequality have become more pressing issues. Maybe I'm not remembering a lot of Stewart's signaling well, but Stewart always seemed uncomfortable being cosmopolitan liberal icon, which I honestly found refreshing and appealing about his persona.

I feel like Trevor Noah and Sam Bee are very comfortable with their cosmopolitan liberal zeitgest. They're willing to double and triple down on it. I understand the impulse, because Trumpism has shown the rot within Republican-voting America. And there's no shame in being unambiguously anti-Trump.

But I still feel somewhat alienated by this. I'm a underemployed 30-year-old asian american living in a "children of immigrants" New Jersey suburb; it's by no means Trump country, but I definitely feel the resentment that Donald and Bernie capitalized on. In my teens and early 20s, I thought of Jon as a hero, but also found my own politics drifting leftward as I struggled to find a decent full time job after college. Especially in my adulthood I never got the impression that the liberal cosmopolitan media was as welcoming, open, and "diverse" as it claims to be (I've talked plenty about how chauvinist, racist, and classist it is in other threads); I always found it to be an exclusionary country club protected by layers of gatekeepers and PR handlers.

That's why I couldn't get around to the WHCD and Not the WHCD. I like Hasan Minhaj. I liked Colbert and Wilmore's performances as well. But I just feel like there's not much worth celebrating about the media. And there's this confusion when you're not sure if you're supporting the culture or the counter-culture.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 3, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watch Colbert tonight.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gwenyth isn't "far left". She's not a Marxist. She's a privileged fuckwit, a lunatic, and a snake oil salesman.

Horseshoe theory is stupid.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, I do make an effort to watch every episode. I haven't caught up on the last two because I've been busy, but I guess I'll take issue with the bit when I get around to seeing it.

When the show's solid, there's not that much to say, and there's plenty of other threads where people can discuss "Trump bad."

In general, Noah's been less openly antagonistic towards the Left than than Sam Bee. But when Noah does police the Left, I don't always get the impression he understands who or what he's criticizing, and it can be quite grating.

I do think late night comedy in general missed out on the chance of being more relevant by ignoring or belittling the Left, and it's symptomatic of the weird liberal cosmopolitan cultural bubble that's a bit beyond the scope of discussion of TDS. In general, Noah's been solid, but still lacks that cathartic bite.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Propaganda Machine posted:

Two foreigners miss the mark on the American left. Go figure.
Them being immigrants wasn't the problem.

Also, I did wish the CNN bashing continued. Obviously, with this climate of Trump attacking the news, it's understandable why satire would not want to. But CNN's relationship with Trump is really symbiotic rather than meaningfully adversarial. And I haven't forgiven the cable channels for loving up the Bush and Obama years.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So Jordan Klepper's show started last night. I'll give it a shot for a week at least.

I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure if we need yet another Alex Jones riff.

I think a better "Colbert Report... but in the Trump era" would be a parody of all the YouTube rationalists that D&D mocks.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Roy Wood Jr bit is pretty good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watching Thursday's Klepper. It's solid. Feels very Report-esque. But perhaps nothing special in the crowded satire landscape.

I'm glad to see Kobi Libii get work. He's been in a lot of stuff since, but I haven't seen him since the cancellation of Alpha House.

Edit: By chance, Klepper and Colbert did the same Steven Seagal gag.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nightly Show alum Robin Thede's BET show premieres tonight, FYI.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
FWIW I enjoyed Robin Thede's show last night.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Stewart took a few direct shots at Rahm Emanuel. Hopefully Trevor's willing to do the same this week.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those disappointed with Trevor's portrayal of Antifa, Kobi Libii had a sympathetic bit about it on Opposition.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Radio Nowhere posted:

Brief appearance by Stew-Beef last night, promoting the HBO fundraiser.
He appeared Klepper's show and a few others as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, Noah and Klepper have been back from the break for a while now. I'm still watching both shows, as imperfect as they are. I don't see the need for a new 2018 thread.

A thing that's irked me a lot about about Klepper's show is when its characters don't distinguish between liberals and the left. Like, I'm not sure if it's because the right wingers they're parodying don't, or if it's because the show's (presumably, generally liberal) writers are uninterested in the schism between the Left and liberals.

Like, I understand just ignoring the conflict going on in the Democratic Party and progressivism entirely, because the dumpster fire of the Right already provides too much material, but this problem (for lack of a better word) always flares up for me when Klepper's character talks about how Hollywood and MSNBC are Left-wing. And now, Oprah's a Leftist too. Maybe this is a problem that "says more about me".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

IRQ posted:

So The Opposition actually got ok? Maybe it's time to give it another shot.
I'm not sure. I've been giving most of these "Daily Show legacy shows" a greater benefit of the doubt than most people would. I guess most people would have dropped the show by now from Trump-era satire fatigue. It's not worse than Nightly. Klepper probably wouldn't disagree he's nowhere near as good as Colbert was on the Report. And all the comedy shows are struggling with coming up with new ways to mock Trump and Breitbart.

The MVP of The Opposition is Kobi Libii. His field pieces are pretty much solid Daily Show field pieces.

And speaking of Nightly, I'm still watching Robin Thede's BET show. I like it.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 10, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

That segment on Breitbart 'reporting' last night killed it, better than almost anything Nightly did.
For those who don't watch Klepper, here's the two-part segment. It might be the best thing to come from the show.

https://youtu.be/SkgWXIjBEIU

https://youtu.be/fhniP-mAChI

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trevor has been very reluctant to criticize Hillary when it would've been warranted. And his reluctance extended beyond just wanting to keep his eye on the ball with Trump and the GOP.

So I was kind of impressed that he pretty much called Hillary a hypocrite for not accepting much responsibility for protecting Burns Strider.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 30, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
She may jumped around a lot of different stories in both interviews, but I thought I got her point in most of them.

Also... https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/917844865806778368

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
http://www.thirdmonthmania.com/

The Fox News stuff probably deserves to win. Because gently caress Hannity.

But I want to see The Daily Show's writers grapple with their audience choosing Rachel Maddow's tax scoop or Pelosi's Wall Street money comment as the ultimate victor.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 14, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Klepper's guest last night reminds me that Log Cabin Republicans are among the worst.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whoever put this graphic together for The Daily Show's social media game should be applauded for including Hannity as a joke.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/973541882658684928
He was in there since they started the gag:
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/888438762153418752
Actually he wasn't in the most recent one, but that could easily be amended.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/979112046250938368

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Daily Show guest sucks.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Both sides.

Populism :argh:

Identity Politics :argh:

edit: i'm not even done with this interview and i'm hating this guy more and more.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 25, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This Jordan Klepper guest sucks.

Edit: I just realized I'm talking about the same guy as the post above.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 8, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon Stewart: Live From Below Stephen's Desk

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know how its ratings compared to Larry Wilmore's in that same time slot, but if it was comparable, I thought the show was safe. Clearly, it was not.

If that time slot does not go to another Stewart-era TDS alum or Kobi Libii, I'll take this opportunity to cut my bloated talk show diet.

I'm now down to Noah, Colbert, Oliver, and Robin Thede. If anyone here hasn't checked out The Rundown, it's way better than Nightly. I still haven't seen Michelle Wolf or Wyatt Cenac's shows.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The best part of Klepper's show was just shining light on the rabbit hole of right wing media without having to consume it directly.

While the cast was solid, I was never too fixed on the general "Colbert Report, but in the Trump era" act in general. The media personalities the show is mocking are openly malicious. Colbert's old character was based on conservative pundits who still had the pretense of respectability.

And as I said before, it's sometimes difficult to gauge whether the show is mocking Right Wing shitheads punching Left, or whether the show itself is a Liberal program sincerely punching Left. Because the liberal/left friction is still frequently on my mind as much as people try to pretend the rift is overblown. So better that Klepper wants to pivot.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

END ME SCOOB posted:

I find this take interesting because from what I saw (and I confess there were weeks where I was more burned out and Klepper got skipped of the two shows), Klepper's program decidedly leaned more left than liberal. I remember one night being Trevor criticizing people for wanting to push "too far" and then Jordan's show had a correspondent argue for the thing his counterpart was just making GBS threads on.
This is sort of conjectural, but the impression I get is I'd agree with Klepper politically more than Noah, who seems to be posturing just a tad closer to the establishment liberal sphere of MSNBC, New York Times, SNL, etc. Of course, this is all conjecture. Both shows are made by committee by media-oriented liberals, but ultimately I'm judging the product, not the personalities driving them. Noah's Daily Show is still the more watchable, polished show of the two. I appreciated the sympathetic Antifa bit on Klepper. I was annoyed at Noah's take on Antifa.

I know I'm going into semantics here, but "liberal" wouldn't be the first word I'd use to describe the Bernie Left or student campus activism. Conservatives and fascists that The Opposition mocks clearly don't distinguish the difference between radical Labor unions or the Hollywood elite, for example. But ironically, establishment liberals, also aware that "liberal" is a dirty word again especially in the post-2016 hellscape, throw that word onto the Left and away from themselves.

Obviously, at this point my sympathies are more with the Left than mainstream liberalism. The nature of the Opposition's gimmick sometimes unintentionally highlights this confusion and tension (Is it self deprecation? Or actual progressive gatekeeping?) more so than The Daily Show. Trevor Noah sometimes flat out says what he thinks without hiding it behind a joke, so I can at least settle whether or not I agree with him and move on.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching Thursday's Daily Show.

A Stewart-era TDS could have wrote a bit about obnoxious cable news panels in their sleep. This bit flat lined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nightly Show was more interesting to discuss because of all of its rough edges. I can't say it was a good show. It was frequently dreadful.

But I would have liked to have seen how Larry would have took on the Trump presidency, Kanye, Dennis Rodman in the Singapore Summit, Black Panther, BBQ Becky, and Permit Patty.

• Locked thread