Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Holy poo poo, that opening segment had waaay more teeth than I was expecting for a novelty flip-flop story. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That ad for The President Show taking back the Colbert/Nightly slot has me slightly intrigued... and thoroughly horrified. :stonk:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I will never unsee that image of Trump scarfing down fast food like a starved coyote... :gonk:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

haveblue posted:

Is the guy pronouncing "antifa" wrong part of what we're supposed to be laughing at? Or have I been pronouncing it wrong myself this whole time?

It's not so much the pronunciation as the emphasis. Same thing as how Trump says "China"— technically correct, but he drags out the wrong syllable(s) and sounds like an alien trying to blend in with humans. Antifa ("an-tee-fuh") stands for "anti-fascist", but Trump says it like the "-tifa" is the primary part of the word rather than the combination. So instead of emphasizing "Antee-Fuh" or just a fluid "Anteefuh", it becomes "An-TEEFUHHH". And it certainly doesn't help that he just blurts it out on its own like he literally just learned it five minutes prior and wants to show off his new word to everybody.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That's... quite a bit of hyperbole, I think. It seemed to me that his point was more that the reckless violence and black-clad style of antifa looks scary, in a way that makes it easier to do exactly what Trump attempted with his "both sides" garbage. Not that they're as bad as the Nazis, but that they're making it harder to win over hearts and minds.

Mind you, I think that argument is still wrong because I don't seriously believe in this mythical, pearl-clutching moderate that totally ~would~ stand up against the Nazis but "gosh darn it these guys in black hoodies with shields breaking a few windows are so scary! :ohdear:", and I'm firmly convinced that keeping people like the Tiki Nazis terrified of publicly expressing their views is infinitely more valuable than winning over the tepid support of that political unicorn. And even at their absolute worst, the rowdier elements of antifa don't even compare to right-wing militia groups cosplaying as GI Joe while marching around with tacticool rifles strapped to their vests and taking over buildings, all of which we're supposed to just patiently tolerate.

But that segment was bad enough on its own without bending over backwards to equate it with what Trump said.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

That, or the one panel about... I think it was the death penalty? Whatever the subject was, it led to one of the show's regulars making what might have been the most uncomfortable prison rape joke I have ever heard and getting zero push-back from anyone at the table. :stare:

e: it was the Boston Bombing episode about what to do with Tsarnaev, and I completely forgot Alex Wagner was there just desperately trying to take the issue seriously.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Jon definitely had that habit too, which is a weird sort of carryover. In the year leading up to his announcement that he was leaving the show, it seemed like every other episode he would find any possible excuse to break out his "Jersey mobster" impression and it drove me absolutely nuts.

• Locked thread