Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Forklift driver?

Easy enough to get a ticket as long as you can front up the $1000 or so, the theory test might be a problem with some simple maths things, but it's one of those things where as long as you look like you're comfortable in the practical parts the testers will usually make sure you pass the theory as they know it's mostly bullshit anyway, and there always seems to be a decent demand for it (including nightshift work) and generally pays a bit more than minimum wage.

The problem is a number of those jobs probably require picking and packing as well, which is counting, but there's also plenty of nightshift jobs around where it's just unloading/loading linehaul trucks while the drivers sleep, and in those jobs you just have to take pallets off the truck and put them somewhere together until there's no more pallets left on the truck and then put on a bunch of pallets that should be all organised together until there's not more left to put on. You'd be looking at the big players for something like that, Tolls (their NQX branch especially if you live in central QLD does exactly this kind of work) or Linfox. Typing that just made me think there's probably a job in the big department store/supermarket distribution centers where it's just loading trucks, it's more manual as Coles and Woolies moved to the weird trolley things instead of pallets while back now, but they also require a lot more manual labour to load/unload, and same again, it's a job where it's just keep pushing carts on until there's no more left.

If you live in a coastal city with a port, maybe hand unloading containers? The only counting is probably going to be counting up how many items on a pallet, but there'll be multiple other people around responsible for the same thing to and probably not going to care if there's one person who's not counting.

Put both those ideas together and maybe working on the docks? I'm not sure if the problem is just about maths or numbers in general, if it's just maths you should be ok with working on the docks, but if it's numbers than that'll be a problem as every container has a 4 letter and 7 number identifier.

Also just sitting here thinking, working in a car wash or car detailing in a car yard? No numbers required, pretty much all about what you can see.

Same again with cleaning positions, again the industrial jobs are the ones that will be proper full time and pay OK, if there's an abattoir in town I guarantee you they have a full time afternoon/nightshift cleaning crew, or contract one from a 3rd party, and I can tell you from 8 years experience in that industry that the bar for those kinds of jobs is set extremely low if you're an Australian citizen. (sorry, not trying to make that sounds offensive)

EDIT: Was going to PM this to you, but seems you don't have them on, if you are interested in something like that and don't know if there's an abattoir around, my 8 year stint in that part of the workforce saw me working for a couple of different companies who all together have processing plants in NSW, QLD and SA and I also know where pretty much all the other processing facilities are through out QLD, NSW, Vic, and SA , so if you want to email where you live I can point you in the right direction with maybe a contact or at least the companies name and location. My email is [my username]6@gmail.com, and I can guarantee the barrier for entry is extremely low if you can tolerate some dirty work, probably 70% of the workforce doing that kind of job is someone on a working holiday Visa so they usually jump at the opportunity to put on an Australian who'll stick around more than 6 months.

Baggage tosser at the airport? Customs stuff at the airport?

Sorry if all these seems like total left field blue collar stuff, they're just the area's I'm most familiar with unfortunately.

Is there nothing in this new NDIS stuff that's come along recently that might help? Maybe applying for NDIS based jobs? In saying that as well, any government job is supposed to be completely unbiased and based solely on the applicants ability (yes I know that's somewhat of a fairytale, but some departments do try and abide by it) if you're not already checking the various government job sites.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread