Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Australian here.

I never realised such a form of dyslexia exists. I have a very mild form of reading dyslexia, I can understand how you feel... but can't imagine, this must be very tough on you.

Having gone through centrelink system, I've got a few suggestions, some you may not like but please try and be open minded about them.

First I am going to highly suggest you get treatment (if you arent currently) for your condition. Unfortunately it is something that may never be cured and you may forever be battling it. Finding help is extremely import because not having basic math skills will negatively affect your life. I am sorry to be blunt but I'm really worried that someone will take advantage of you.

1. Consider applying for disability. I don't know if you qualify but if you have such a severe case of Dyscalculia, it may be an option. Take this as a the first step of treatment for your condition.
  2. Apply for Woolies or Coles or Bunnings as a shelf packer. This is dodgy but don't mention your condition, if they dont ask, dont tell. But only apply for positions that do not require handling money or operating equipment.
  3. Apply for a job as an admin person at a Uni. I don't know too much about this option but I work in a university setting and there are a lot of administrative jobs that require no math skills and never use any.
  4. Online jobs, checkout this thread. I know there's an aussie who does transcript work. With your degree and typing speed you'd be a good fit for this job.
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455
  5. Surveys for extra cash. I use pureprofile.com and I've made $100 in the last month. Figure out what the survey wants and answer accordingly (this is not ethical but....). There are a few more, google for them.
  6. With your degree, have you looked into journalism as a profession? They're wordsmiths, perfect fit for you.
  7. Contact your university student services and see if they have anything to help you achieving employment.
  8. Are you any good at art? Drawing? Design? You may consider going back to uni or TAFE for more study in something that might increase your job prospects.
  9. Get in contact with organisations that will help you. For example I know of ADA (http://www.dyslexiaassociation.org.au/) which also has a lot of self help resources. They will also preassess you, which may help in achieving disability status if you wish.

quote:

I'm not good for much, I'm out of ideas, I'm miserable from all my previous failures, and I need some help. Where can a person like me find work?
You successfully completed a degree from a prestigious university yet you say you are "not good for much?". Quit saying such negative things, they aren't helping you or yourself esteem.

Sorry for being blunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

You've got a point, and it's really not as if I'm doing anything else right now besides surveys for cash (Thanks, Lump!)... So here's an ask/tell thread for any questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804102
drat it shoulda given you a referral link! Btw with pureprofile you can only cash out every 2 months, so save up $50 (the max) and cash it out.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 5, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If I understand correctly you've got a job interview? That's awesome!

Good luck!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

Today went badly, and I got a bunch of rejection emails today for my Monday wake-up.

Operation "Find rich man, throw self in front of vehicle, sue." Inches higher up the employment options list, but I'm going to try again to get into a disability employment agency rather than the useless guys they've put me with.
I know that feeling, sorry that sucks :(

Centrelink can be real bastards when it comes to meeting their dumb requirements. Hopefully the agency is on their approved list but either way try to get connected with them.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

deathbot posted:

Bad news: No job.

Good news: Going to visit a gothic horror book club on Thursday, and I have two volunteering meet and greets on the weekend followed by a potential volunteering interview for a research spot. None will lead to a job, but at least I'll not be moping at home.

??? News: Applying for an education certificate course which will let me teach ESL students, I've been poking at purelife and swagbucks for a couple of bucks here and there, and I even did a bit of fanart I'm mildly okay with looking at.

Post your art plz

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Signed a contract as a volunteer? That's very strange. Nonetheless congrats!

Your art is good. Have you looked into commission work for fanart projects? I've heard furries will pay $$$ for custom art work. Also people who are obsessed with animated shows might pay for R34 stuff. It might not be your thing but could generate some serious $$$.

P.S Who's the blue dancer meant to be? I've seen that character from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I think you're missing what people are saying or maybe not. While your artist friends are aiming at (I think) the conventional market, people here are saying to aim for niche markets like fandom who pay decent money for work that might not be something you'll be proud of. Unless you mean all your artist friends are drawing MLP, furry and R34 art, then ignore the above!

I think you're heading in the right direction by doing TESOL, have you considered putting up ads for tutoring English? Target foreign students and parents for 1on1 tutoring. A good place is gumtree ads. Also put up flyers at unis, TAFEs (Or whatever it's called in your state, VET?). Put out feelers/ads on facebook, join FB groups for mothers and advertise, also buyswapsell pages usually allow for advertising. Charge something reasonable but never undersell yourself, of course advertise that you have a degree in english. I did something similar for fixing macs and made good money for how much work I put in. I think a reasonable rate for starting out would be around $25/hour, you can start upping it later on when you get more comfortable. I've seen ones that say first lesson (30mins) is free, which I guess it's because I imagine it would be figuring out what the other person wants to learn, how they learn etc and then the second lesson you can charge em.

Also, you should hit up the postgrad office and see if you can advertise your services as a proof-reader for thesis submission. PhD/Masters generate huge documents and they want someone to go through and check mostly for spelling and correct sentence structure and also correct formatting. You can say you won't worry about checking their numbers and will assume they're correct. Not sure about the arts but in science the referencing style is important and the citation managers ALWAYS stuff it up, so having someone go through that and check for correct formatting is huuuge help. These students have looked at their thesis for the last 6 months and are sick of looking at it and would appreciate help. As a PhD student, I think I'd pay between $100-200 for this service.

Good luck!

P.S I'm also learning spanish using duolingo and its great for learning nouns but I found it doesn't really teach you words like want, have, when (adverbs?) until very later on and they are the most useful ones imo.

• Locked thread