Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Benne posted:

I'm curious where Bruce will stand in the voting. His resume is certainly HOF-worthy, but I have a feeling he'll get stuck in the same logjam that plagues every WR of this current generation.
I could definitely see him falling through the cracks. He's been eligible for a few years already but only just made the finalist list. He was always a secondary name to Rice/Irvin/Moss/Owens, and it won't be a big gap before the big names afterwards start cropping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

qkkl posted:

How was Kurt not a 1st ballot HOFer? Guy went undrafted then went from stocking groceries to winning MVP and super bowl. Plus he married a single-mom before he was famous and didn't leave her after he found success.
Warner had such a bizarre career. Comes out of nowhere at 28 with the 99 Rams to win MVP and SBMVP. Has a great followup season in 2000 but gets hurt, and his backup does extremely well forcing a lot of questions about how important Warner really was. Warner comes back and wins the 2001 MVP with an outstanding year, and despite the loss he played really well in the Superbowl. Then he gets hurt, doesnt play well when healthy, Rams go with Bulger who looks good. At the same time, Trent Green does very well in KC which refutes some of the system talk. So for all that he basically looked really good for 2.5 seasons before turning back into a pumpkin, and over the next few years he's known for fumbling a lot and being the stopgap starter for the Giants before they went with Eli and the Cardinals when they were planning to go to Leinart. Leinart sucks, Warner has a total renaissance 6 years after his last good season and adds just enough . Still we're talking about a guy who was not good outside of 6 years, 2 of those seasons being ones where he only started 11 games, and benefited from a ridiculous offense around him in St. Louis with Faulk, Pace, Bruce and Holt, and then had a ridiculous receiver combo in Arizona with Fitzgerald and Boldin... but then it's the same guy who, if he doesn't get hurt in 2000, arguably has the best 3 year stretch of any player ever and is one of the more accomplished playoff performers of all time.

He's going to get in for sure. I don't think many people are deadset against him, but there's good reason why there's some apprehension, and I don't mind that he's not 1st ballot.

Elephanthead posted:

No one cares about kickers or pretending to care about kickers.
This!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lynch was maybe the 6th most important member of that defense. In general I think writers are pretty clueless to safety play the same way they are on offensive line play and will either go with the name (which is hard to get if you aren't a high draft pick) or just pick someone from a good defense. You can have guys like Roy Williams, Brandon Meriweather, etc. be highly rated while being negative value to their teams.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They haven't put in a safety after Lott, who started off as a CB himself. That's a lot of time in between him and Dawkins. You can count Rod Woodson who converted later in his career but that seems like cheating. So one Hall of Fame safety since the beginning of the 80's, although that's going to change in a hurry with Dawkins, Reed and Polamalu up soon.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Why would anyone want Tasker in the Hall. Do even Bills fans care? They already 7 guys from those 90's teams in

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Andersen and Davis are horrible choices.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think Moss is viewed a lot more positively than TO, both in hindsight of his playing career (which seems to get talked about quite a bit more than TO's) and personally (where I think him having a media gig has helped). Don't know if he gets in right away but I'm not worried about him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Urlacher shouldn't be in the hall let alone first ballot
He should be in the Hall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Durandal1707 posted:

HOF voters have a stick up their asses about WRs, more or less. Art Monk had every receiving record in history, three SB rings when he retired, and WASN'T a complete douchebag. He still waited forever to get in because he was a quiet dude who didn't play their media game. I'd guess TO waits 10+ years to get in.

And it's bullshit, because him and Moss are 2A/2B all time.
Art Monk should not be in the Hall of Fame.

• Locked thread