Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

thechosenone posted:

I guess this makes me want to ask, what is the failure state of the democratic party's strategy?

Since 2010, both 'yes' and 'more'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I too want idiots running the country.

Trump supporter spotted

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, this mostly comes down to issues of perception and messaging, Bernie was gonna have trouble with minority voters even if he didn't make the occasional unforced error because he was an ancient white dude from New England with no name recognition coming down to do a vanity presidential run he didn't think was going anywhere. Those are all still problems that can be fixed though.

:agreed:

Homeless Friend posted:

Thank god I live in Cali so I don't have to vote for Booker if it does happen, fuckkkk

Massively :agreed:

But again, I don't think he's going to get the presidential nomination, at least as far as things are going right now. I think he'll have a lot of support, and he may run and do not-terribly. But unless he pulls a 180 on Wall Street between now and then, he's going to have trouble.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Like that kind of rhetoric is populist poo poo. Come up with a policy behind it.

People don’t give a poo poo about policy

They care about ideology

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I do think a lot of Sanderistas failed to give Clinton the benefit of the doubt on enough things, yes. And some of them did that because they ascribed an unrealistic degree of mendacity and cynicism to Clinton personally. Having a tit-for-tat argument on who was more unfair during the primaries, Clinton or Sanders, doesn't serve the left-of-center/anti-Trump cause, though.

By Sanderistas I meant you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

People don’t give a poo poo about policy

They care about ideology

Ehhh...I think it's not even ideology, although it's closer to that. But if it were ideology, they would be consistent about the policies they support (limited government, limited foreign involvement, etc). Republicans really aren't, especially Trump-supporting Republicans. I think the more precise answer is that they care about tribalism.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I too want idiots running the country.

Writing policy /= being smart. The president isn't the head bureaucrat. They don't have time to write policy. The president's job is to lead the country and lead the party. They deliver propaganda and they make decisions.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

By Sanderistas I meant you.

Well, if you look at my posts during the campaign, you'll note that I gave Clinton credit when she moved to the left, and took a lot of flack from my fellow Sanderistas when I did so.

So...I'm not sure what you're thinking about here.:confused:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

thechosenone posted:

So you do not support the establishment wing of the democratic party?

I donated to Keith Ellison and signed Bernie's petition

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

thechosenone posted:

So you do not support the establishment wing of the democratic party?

Please tell me about what you perceive the difference between a professional and a member of an establishment wing to be

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Kingfish posted:

Writing policy /= being smart. The president isn't the head bureaucrat. They don't have time to write policy. The president's job is to lead the country and lead the party. They deliver propaganda and they make decisions.

They need to know how poo poo works and how policy affects people.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I donated to Keith Ellison and signed Bernie's petition

But you also post damage control paradoxes about how Perez and Keith are the same in support of the party establishment online.

BTW I think you are an ok guy and also a progressive. We have some differences but you aren't a bootlicking freak like effectronica or anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:agreed:, but even so, the President doesn't introduce legislation to Congress (and I know you know that). His or her biggest tool when it comes to domestic policy, by far, is the bully pulpit.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Ehhh...I think it's not even ideology, although it's closer to that. But if it were ideology, they would be consistent about the policies they support (limited government, limited foreign involvement, etc). Republicans really aren't, especially Trump-supporting Republicans. I think the more precise answer is that they care about tribalism.

I should be more precise. There wasn’t a single coherent message to coming out of the Hillary campaign. Trump had a very clear, simple message for his rust belt voters. Sanders attracted people, not on grounds on being charismatic or because of his policies, but because he was against what the rich were doing to this country.

People giving up on Trump voters is a mistake; Not when you’re perfectly capable of attacking him from the left and painting him as an enemy of the working class. Hillary could not adequately criticize the wealthy elite in this country. She was part of them. Trump was loathed by lobbyists, politicians from both parties, Wall St. types alike, and he used that image to make that distinction he needed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What Would LBJ Do?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah they ideally should. But it doesn't take a simpleton to phrase ideas and the party policy in a way that people can grasp and retain.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

What Would LBJ Do?

LBJ had a deep understanding of policy and also politics.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The policy section of Hillary's website is basically the most offensive thing ever, since it precisely detracts from the idea she was in any way capable of forming a coherent message out of it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Please tell me about what you perceive the difference between a professional and a member of an establishment wing to be

eh, association between bernie vs Hillary, So I guess you could call it as Left wing vs Right wing parts of Democratic party.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Since it's always vogue to compare government to business:

Think of the President as a contractor. You bring him in, say what you want/need, and he tells you if it can be done, how much it will cost, and how long it will take. He likely can't tell you why the pipe rusted, what kind of snaking will unclog the sink, how deep the trenching for the pipe needs to be, or why the basement floor isn't level. What he can do is effectively appropriate your budget to people the contractor has found dependable who DOES know all that, and can explain to the contractor what needs to be done to fix that, who then has his workersdo such.

Likewise, the president doesn't need to have 20 years in accounting, or a decade in city developing, or the ability to disassemble and reassemble an ICBM. What you need from him are:

- Can I trust him?
- Do I like his ideas?
- How genuine is his dedication to my needs?
- Does he know people/concepts that will perform a good job?

there's nothing here about people being stupid, or hating facts. What is here is that people want a leader who can lead, and more importantly lead them somewhere good. They say "free college!" And you say "hell yeah!", not "but can you tell me right now how to get this past a gridlocked congress convinced that govt debt is bad? What is your immediate strategy for transitioning college funding from the people to the state?". Because if he needs that, if he doesn't know that, he can find someone who does.

He finds these reliable experts and form some kind of....cabinet. and in 4 years you decide if you liked their work and want to commision a second term, or if you would rather have someone else.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The policy section of Hillary's website is basically the most offensive thing ever, since it precisely detracts from the idea she was in any way capable of forming a coherent message out of it.

Its honestly a mess:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I mean you can’t just throw policy at the public and demand to them to interpret what that means politically.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

A huge blow to the centrist team of this thread with the loss of noted sane person brainiac 5. My condolences

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

LBJ had a deep understanding of policy and also politics.

LBJ had an internal ambition around which he framed all else through a deeply pragmatic lens. LBJ understood whether a policy advanced, or hindered, his achievement of ambition.

Who now is the most craven Democrat? What Democrat can listen at a man and make them believe that he has their interest at heart, no matter the idea? What Democrat is strong enough to wipe the scourge of communism from asia?

Say what you will about me, I know what it takes to win. Democrats need once more to look at the lessons of history and reach bipartisan compromise in a manner which wins for us. To that end, I propose a two-state solution: Judea and Samarra, with full Congressional representation.

If the current electoral college dont win for democrats, expand the gently caress'n college

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
LBJ won for a myriad of reasons (he could campaign very effectively, for example), and policy was only one of him. That said, his success was also unique to the times in which he existed. I don’t think he would have won an election against Trump, especially if he were in the middle of defending an unpopular war.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

LBJ won for a myriad of reasons (he could campaign very effectively, for example), and policy was only one of him. That said, his success was also unique to the times in which he existed. I don’t think he would have won an election against Trump, especially if he were in the middle of defending an unpopular war.

Politics manifests as two tools: that of persuasion, and that of coercion. The benefit of a wartime draft is that the tools of coercion are magnified greatly. What better way to coerce a man than send his child to the frontline?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Free healthcare ain't hope, its entitlement. Crowsbeak, when I say that you are entitled to nothing, what do you feel? A majority of Americans sufficient to win the electoral college feel liberated; they feel inspired; they love freedom more than Barack Obama upon having his first slice of custard-covered apple pie since Michelle started the 'FLOTUS Your Moves' healthy lifestyle campaign.

The feel so entitled they are making the GOP not want to replace a Obamacare. Promise them better healthcare less beurocracy less dealing with insurance. No more Obamacare website.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lets suppose I am a working class man in Michigan. My family is struggling financially and I am economically anxious and I want to see what she will do for me. I go to HRC's website and click "issues" that takes me here:

I click on the "Economy and jobs" tab and there are literally twenty sub-catagories for me to chose from. These sub-categories are alphabetized. I choose the "An economy that works for everyone" sub-category because that seems like the one most likely to tell me what I want. That takes me here:

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/an-economy-that-works-for-everyone/

And this is the first thing I see:

HRC posted:

The measure of our success will be how much incomes rise for hardworking families. How many children are lifted out of poverty. How many Americans can find good jobs that support a middle class life—and not only that, jobs that provide a sense of dignity and pride. That’s what it means to have an economy that works for everyone, not just those at the top. That’s the mission, and I’m asking all of you to join me in it.
Hillary, June 22, 2016

That doesn't tell me anything, so I scroll down and read on:

"HRC posted:

Despite the progress we’ve made in coming back from the Great Recession, we face a set of core challenges to building an economy that works for everyone—including a political system that is doing too little to help working Americans, an economic system that encourages too many corporations to favor short-term profits over long-term investments, and outdated workplace policies that aren’t meeting the needs of modern families.

Ok now I'm starting to get pissed/bored, because obviously that doesn't mean anything either. I scroll down further:

As president, Hillary has a five-point plan to meet these challenges
  • A 100-days jobs plan: Break through Washington gridlock to make the boldest investment in good-paying jobs since World War II.
  • Make debt free college available to all Americans.
  • Rewrite the rules so that more companies share profits with employees—and fewer ship profits and jobs overseas.
  • Make certain that corporations, the wealthy, and Wall Street pay their fair share.
  • Enact policies that meet the challenges families face in the 21st-century economy.

Each of these bullet points has an accompanying paragraph that finally hints at actual policy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also keep in mind that long before you get to the issues page, you'll see an essay on how Pepe the Frog is an alt-right icon of terror

If the site were a person, and you asked it what its opinion on X is, they would preface it with the national threat of a webcomic frog that pees with his pants down

So, even if the voter is savvy enough to google ron paul hillary clinton for her positions, odds are they are also savy enough to recognize that their most visible page is utter insanity. Optics.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

Lets suppose I am a working class man in Michigan. My family is struggling financially and I am economically anxious and I want to see what she will do for me. I go to HRC's website and click "issues" that takes me here:

I click on the "Economy and jobs" tab and there are literally twenty sub-catagories for me to chose from. These sub-categories are alphabetized. I choose the "An economy that works for everyone" sub-category because that seems like the one most likely to tell me what I want. That takes me here:

Ok now I'm starting to get pissed/bored, because obviously that doesn't mean anything either. I scroll down further:

• A 100-days jobs plan: Break through Washington gridlock to make the boldest investment in good-paying jobs since World War II.
  • Rewrite the rules so that more companies share profits with employees—and fewer ship profits and jobs overseas.
  • Make certain that corporations, the wealthy, and Wall Street pay their fair share.
  • Enact policies that meet the challenges families face in the 21st-century economy.

Each of these bullet points has an accompanying paragraph that finally hints at actual policy.

When you use 23 points to communicate a stance, all ya communicate is nothin.

I support an import tarriff and end to NAFTA, and plan to force it through Congress by drafting all the congresscritters' children to be boots on ground in syria unless the bill passes.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I never thought I would ever be agreeing with MIGF on something

welp

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

there's only one minority group dems really care about

the 1%

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

also, nobody gives a poo poo about candidate websites. hell, the only part of the site the candidate concerns themselves with is the "click here" and the "submit"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

did someone ITT literally just suggest unironically that an undecided voter would go to a candidate's website, click around, and start reading up on policy proposals

That was thing #28 HRC did wrong all the time last year: always be telling people to go to her website. Nobody does that.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It was a thought experiment about how even if somebody actually did look at her website, all they would find is an unorganized mess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

It was a thought experiment about how even if somebody actually did look at her website, all they would find is an unorganized mess.

In my defense, a lot of the stuff in your post is very much like some of the stuff which the kind of person who would defend Hillary Clinton's website would say while defending Hillary Clinton's website, ironically enough

there are literally twenty sub-categories for you to choose from! How is it not getting through to you??!?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

also, nobody gives a poo poo about candidate websites. hell, the only part of the site the candidate concerns themselves with is the "click here" and the "submit"

welcome back migf you are so dreamy :trumppop:

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"You can check out my website", what better campaign message is there? Especially ones where you require voters to navigate carefully written policies because you are unable to articulate them?

The Kingfish posted:

Lol it's amazing. Seriously man I hope someone who is close to Perez is reading this thread and hires you to help their next campaign.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Sorry folks.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ugh so loving bad. Why the gently caress is it in alphabetical order?

• Locked thread