Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

I wouldn't say it should override everything they've done, skepticism doesn't necessarily mean total opposition, it just means you should be wary of why this candidate is getting the endorsements they are getting. In this case I think he's essentially the anyone-but-Ellison candidate and that elements of the democratic party who are resistant to giving ground to progressives are endorsing him for that reason.

But why would they back a progressive candidate like Perez if their goal is to forestall progressivism? This is, and I must admit being gleeful at the chance to use this phrase, "9-dimensional chess".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Helsing posted:

I wouldn't say it should override everything they've done, skepticism doesn't necessarily mean total opposition, it just means you should be wary of why this candidate is getting the endorsements they are getting. In this case I think he's essentially the anyone-but-Ellison candidate and that elements of the democratic party who are resistant to giving ground to progressives are endorsing him for that reason.

This is sort of how I feel when using a political candidate's wealth as a basis for judging them. I'm not going to decide who to vote for solely on that basis (unless everything else is equal) but I'm inherently going to be a little more skeptical of a wealthy person's commitment to fixing issues like income equality (especially if they were born into a wealthy family) than I am someone who isn't as wealthy. Obviously policy is more important, but it's still one of many factors I think are worth considering. Normally I wouldn't really care much about Perez's more direct involvement with Obama (and I still don't really care much about it for that matter), but given that he seems to be pretty much the same as Ellison when it comes to policy it's enough to tip the scales in favor of Ellison. The same also goes for Ellison being Muslim; not even close to a deciding factor, but it's a nice bonus to help tip the scales, since it's always good to have more people of minority faiths in leadership positions.

I think more broadly these issues are mostly related to how much you feel you can trust a candidate to pursue their stated goals. If you want a candidate to change the status quo, for example, someone involved more closely with the previous administration is inherently going to be at least a little bit less trustworthy than someone less involved (though don't confuse this with me saying they're not trustworthy; it's slightly less relative to the alternative).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

But why would they back a progressive candidate like Perez if their goal is to forestall progressivism? This is, and I must admit being gleeful at the chance to use this phrase, "9-dimensional chess".

supporting the TPP isn't progressive

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

supporting the TPP isn't progressive

So the sole litmus test should be: do they support trade deals y/n?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

So the sole litmus test should be: do they support trade deals y/n?

tpp is a poo poo trade deal. sorry if i think a guy who's for nafta 2: nafta harder isn't progressive. plus, perez has other problems like suggesting the "bernie is for whitey" meme during the primary, refusing to take a stand against dems taking mega-donor money, being in the pocket of the same establishment that has been screwing over the poor for 8 years, etc. All good reasons to support ellison over him, as well as ellison having actual election experience

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

tpp is a poo poo trade deal. sorry if i think a guy who's for nafta 2: nafta harder isn't progressive. plus, perez has other problems like suggesting the "bernie is for whitey" meme during the primary, refusing to take a stand against dems taking mega-donor money, being in the pocket of the same establishment that has been screwing over the poor for 8 years, etc. All good reasons to support ellison over him, as well as ellison having actual election experience

Okay, so Perez's sins are 1) he insulted Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington, 2) he refused to advocate running the Democratic party on no budget, 3) he held public office under the Obama administration which has been actively hurting the poor, unlike white presidential administrations, and 4) he distinguished between NAFTA and the TPP, which is another insult against Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, so Perez's sins are 1) he insulted Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington, 2) he refused to advocate running the Democratic party on no budget, 3) he held public office under the Obama administration which has been actively hurting the poor, unlike white presidential administrations, and 4) he distinguished between NAFTA and the TPP, which is another insult against Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington.

1) making false attacks against a primary candidate sucks, and i think he's not trustworthy because of it

2) bernie seemed to run his campaign well enough on small donors, ditto obama. maybe the dems should have to appeal to the general populace instead of taking billions from mega-donors only to lose.

3) yep, he's the pick of an administration that has been coddling bankers after they destroyed the economy and letting said bankers kick people out of their houses. obama letting the banks off with a slap on the wrist after they were caught forging ownership documents so they could evict people is hosed up, and I'd like as few people associated with that poo poo in control of the party

4) nafta is terrible and has been used to gently caress over the poor in all signing countries for the benefit of the upper class. TPP is nafta redux and is poo poo, and a supposed labor advocate and progressive should be against it.

got it?

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I don't think some of you even understand what the DNC chair does. Stop trying to apply a purity test to it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

1) making false attacks against a primary candidate sucks, and i think he's not trustworthy because of it

2) bernie seemed to run his campaign well enough on small donors, ditto obama. maybe the dems should have to appeal to the general populace instead of taking billions from mega-donors only to lose.

3) yep, he's the pick of an administration that has been coddling bankers after they destroyed the economy and letting said bankers kick people out of their houses. obama letting the banks off with a slap on the wrist after they were caught forging ownership documents so they could evict people is hosed up, and I'd like as few people associated with that poo poo in control of the party

4) nafta is terrible and has been used to gently caress over the poor in all signing countries for the benefit of the upper class. TPP is nafta redux and is poo poo, and a supposed labor advocate and progressive should be against it.

got it?

Well, to judge from the Bernie diehards, it wasn't a false attack at all. Furthermore, it's also possible for someone to be wrong about something without it being a nefarious conspiracy to destroy you.

Sure, let's rely on squeezing money from the people least able to afford it, because by god, we're gonna run this place on the cheap instead of taking advantage of the free money being handed to us by idiots.

Okay, let's blacklist everyone who held public office as a Democrat before 2016, except for the Blue Dogs who disavowed Obama and got their asses kicked in elections.

TPP isn't poo poo and latching onto it as a nefarious gambit by Haim Saban and George Soros to drain the blood of the poor is one of the many reasons why Bernie diehards can't be trusted with power.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, to judge from the Bernie diehards, it wasn't a false attack at all. Furthermore, it's also possible for someone to be wrong about something without it being a nefarious conspiracy to destroy you.

except he knew it was wrong. it was a smear campaign. also love that you are clinging to "bernie diehards" to try to win an argument

quote:

Sure, let's rely on squeezing money from the people least able to afford it, because by god, we're gonna run this place on the cheap instead of taking advantage of the free money being handed to us by idiots.

money from mega-donors is not free, it's always got strings attached. also, bernie didn't have to run his campaign cheap, and neither did obama. what did the excessive donations to the hillary campaign buy her? a loss to an orange clown who had half her money

quote:

Okay, let's blacklist everyone who held public office as a Democrat before 2016, except for the Blue Dogs who disavowed Obama and got their asses kicked in elections.

nah, just the ones being pushed by the obama administration. you can tell the difference right?

quote:

TPP isn't poo poo and latching onto it as a nefarious gambit by Haim Saban and George Soros to drain the blood of the poor is one of the many reasons why Bernie diehards can't be trusted with power.

yeah, i'm not gonna believe that after nafta was pushed the same way and then turned out to hollow out the poor and middle class.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

The only idiots are the people who think oligarch money is a gift rather than an investment to ensure that the party remains a watchdog of capital.

quote:

And yet only the mighty consider free trade an unequivocal good.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the mega donor thing is that ellison has stated that the dnc will not take lobbyist money under his watch. this hilariously enough was the policy of the dnc under the obama dnc until it was changed for a certain presidential candidate by debbie wasserman schultz!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/keith-ellison-ban-lobbyist-contributions-dnc_us_586cd2aae4b0d9a5945d2e4d

quote:

In a new video interview with The Huffington Post, Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) pledged to ban contributions from lobbyists to the Democratic Party if he’s elected as its next chairman.

“Yeah, I would,” Ellison told HuffPost when asked about banning lobbyist donations. “I think it’s important that people feel that the party is their party … There is a pragmatic, perhaps too pragmatic step that you can say, ‘We’ll just take whatever money from whatever source in whatever amount.’ But once you do that, I think you cross a line where people do not feel that the party is really theirs.”

President Barack Obama banned lobbyist contributions to the Democratic National Committee after winning the 2008 election, but the then DNC Chair, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) quietly lifted the ban during Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential run. In a December interview with HuffPost, Ellison’s chief rival for Wasserman Schultz’s successor, Labor Secretary Thomas Perez, refused to rule out lobbyist donations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I like Ellison better than Perez because he's a more effective and experienced organizer, but I don't see how Perez is meaningfully tainted by association with Obama or Clinton. He hasn't been part of Clinton's poorly-run campaigns, he favors the same sort of decentralized volunteer-led politics that Ellison (and Sanders) do, and he's not indebted to Clinton for his political career to date. I understand that he's not The Sanders Faction Candidate, and I don't like the DNC defeating Ellison just to symbolically punch left.

Other than that he's not Ellison, what's wrong with Perez?

Brainiac Five posted:

what the hell is this garbage

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

except he knew it was wrong. it was a smear campaign. also love that you are clinging to "bernie diehards" to try to win an argument

money from mega-donors is not free, it's always got strings attached. also, bernie didn't have to run his campaign cheap, and neither did obama. what did the excessive donations to the hillary campaign buy her? a loss to an orange clown who had half her money

nah, just the ones being pushed by the obama administration. you can tell the difference right?

yeah, i'm not gonna believe that after nafta was pushed the same way and then turned out to hollow out the poor and middle class.

You can't prove that, you are engaging in conspiratorial rhetoric. In fact, all your thoughts on the issue seem to be purely half-baked. You want to punish that uppity Obama because someone told you he personally destroyed the middle class with NAFTA, so you pretend that Democrats generally were all in favor of having wild horses tear all bankers apart on live TV and only oppressed into silence by B-Rock the Islamic Shock. You insist that Obama funded his campaign on small donors, but people donating the maximum legally made up a full third of Obama donors as compared to a quarter donating $200 or less. Bernie Sanders, meanwhile, also took money from PACs and large-scale individual donors as well. You basically are ignorant of a great many things and subsist solely on memes rather than actual thought. Your mind has been wasted.

Agnosticnixie posted:

The only idiots are the people who think oligarch money is a gift rather than an investment to ensure that the party remains a watchdog of capital.

And yet only the mighty consider free trade an unequivocal good.

Money doesn't allow people to mind-control you, moron.

Actually, the really rich don't like free trade as such, preferring trade rigged in their favor. It's academics who push for free trade as such.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Also if you're interested in hearing Ellison talk himself about his candidacy and not the arguments of nerds on a dead comedy forum, he did an interview on Keepin' It 1600.

25 minutes in if you want to skip everything else

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/keepin-it-1600/id1111751047?mt=2&i=378123779

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

Good thing there are no other ways to manipulate things and people besides physical coercion and telepathy.

quote:

Actually, the really rich don't like free trade as such, preferring trade rigged in their favor. It's academics who push for free trade as such.
Free trade is rigged in their favor.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Agnosticnixie posted:

Good thing there are no other ways to manipulate things and people besides physical coercion and telepathy.

Free trade is rigged in their favor.

The whole reason taking money is considered corrupting is because of the sense of reciprocity, which is not inevitable, and the worry of losing further money, which is an asinine thing to consider because it ignores why businesses donate money to politicians in the first place.

OK, well, if we want to play semantics games, I'll say that you're committing a foul by using hazy definitions that are whatever you want them to be to win the argument, which is against the rules and disqualifies you from speaking for the next three turns.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

For people wondering about Keith's election chops, this article makes him look like he knows what he is doing imo

http://www.startribune.com/how-to-get-out-the-vote-keith-ellison-demonstrates/284044361/

quote:

Now for some good turnout news: In the Fifth Congressional District, anchored by Minneapolis, turnout was up nearly 11,000 votes from the previous presidential midterm election, in 2010. That’s about a 0.5-percentage-point gain, compared with a 5-percentage-point turnout decline statewide.

In 2006, the Fifth District had the lowest turnout among the state’s eight congressional districts. This year it was in fifth place. In first place was the state’s most affluent district, the west-suburban Third; then came the Eighth, Second and Seventh, all of which saw livelier congressional races than U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison had in the Fifth.

Ellison was elected to a fifth term with more votes than only eight of his fellow Democrats in the U.S. House, even though 46 of his caucus-mates represent districts with higher Democratic-voting indices. [...]

Ellison is a DFLer in a safe DFL seat. He could coast through campaigns.

Instead, he and his staff set turnout goals for each of the 12 state Senate districts included in CD5, and communicated those goals to the DFL Party’s officers in those districts. Together, they charted plans to make face-to-face contact with the quota of potential voters needed to reach their goals.

“It’s a team approach,” Ellison said, enlisting community leaders and clergy as well as politicians. Special efforts were made to knock on doors in apartment buildings. At least one North Side church chartered a bus to take “souls to the polls” for early voting. Events featured a song about voting written by Minneapolis songwriter André Cymone, a former guitarist for Prince.

That work is grounded in Ellison’s belief that old-fashioned retail campaigning is more effective than phone blitzes and reputation-smearing ad campaigns. “Money is hard to overcome, but I believe that somebody at your door talking to you can defeat a scurrilous TV ad. The real key is door-to-door politics. That’s how you create a culture of engagement. That what can restore democracy.”

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I feel like a goddamn O'Malley supporter here, but can we talk Buckley for a second? Just so people will stop trying to rip each other's throats out.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Brainiac Five posted:

You can't prove that, you are engaging in conspiratorial rhetoric. In fact, all your thoughts on the issue seem to be purely half-baked. You want to punish that uppity Obama because someone told you he personally destroyed the middle class with NAFTA, so you pretend that Democrats generally were all in favor of having wild horses tear all bankers apart on live TV and only oppressed into silence by B-Rock the Islamic Shock.

first, bill clinton signed nafta into law against the wishes of unions. he also hosed up welfare among other things so yeah, he seemed to be p anti-middle class. second, barack obama definitely shielded bankers from prosecution. we could've sent a poo poo ton of them to jail for the stuff they did in the leadup to the 2008 recession, and we could've sent more to jail after the robo-signing scandal, but we didn't because obama and his DoJ was banker friendly.

quote:

You insist that Obama funded his campaign on small donors, but people donating the maximum legally made up a full third of Obama donors as compared to a quarter donating $200 or less. Bernie Sanders, meanwhile, also took money from PACs and large-scale individual donors as well. You basically are ignorant of a great many things and subsist solely on memes rather than actual thought. Your mind has been wasted.

meanwhile, nearly half of hillary's primary donors gave the legal maximum. definitely something we need to shrink

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Obama, Holder, and Clinton are not running for DNC chair.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Buckley is pretty good, stayed neutral during the primary, the NH democratic party has been pretty successful in all of it's races. He just can't get any oxygen in room due to the heavyweight and the mediumweight "duking it out" (it's actually super tame compared to the immediate comparison of UK labor). Maybe he'll get traction from the debate!

He won't

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Please don't relitigate the Primary in this thread, which is for discussing the Democratic National Chairperson election 2017.

Brainiac Five posted:

latching onto it as a nefarious gambit by Haim Saban and George Soros to drain the blood of the poor

Brainiac Five posted:

You can't prove that, you are engaging in conspiratorial rhetoric. In fact, all your thoughts on the issue seem to be purely half-baked. You want to punish that uppity Obama because someone told you he personally destroyed the middle class with NAFTA, so you pretend that Democrats generally were all in favor of having wild horses tear all bankers apart on live TV and only oppressed into silence by B-Rock the Islamic Shock. [..] You basically are ignorant of a great many things and subsist solely on memes rather than actual thought. Your mind has been wasted.

Cut this poo poo out

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cease to Hope posted:

Obama, Holder, and Clinton are not running for DNC chair.

the obama admin's pick is though. i don't want his wing of the party in control anymore

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I feel like a goddamn O'Malley supporter here, but can we talk Buckley for a second? Just so people will stop trying to rip each other's throats out.

Buckley is a blue dog who owned this car.

Condiv posted:

the obama admin's pick is though. i don't want his wing of the party in control anymore

Ellison is endorsed by Schumer and many other DNC "establishment" figures I don't especially like. There is no path to DNC chair that doesn't at least require the assent of these people.

I still want to know what quality Perez has that makes him and his policies undesirable. What are you worried he's do as DNC chair? What connection does he have to Obama and why does that connection make him undesirable? Is it just that he's not the Sanders-endorsed guy?

Help me out here. I favor Ellison but I just don't see the problem with Perez.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 5, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

imo, perez isn't the worst thing ever for a DNC chair pick but his lack of election experience as opposed to ellison makes him strictly inferior to ellison, as well as ellison having called trump's ascendancy better than most dems.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

imo, perez isn't the worst thing ever for a DNC chair pick but his lack of election experience as opposed to ellison makes him strictly inferior to ellison, as well as ellison having called trump's ascendancy better than most dems.

gonna have to be more specific, because calling his ascendancy better could mean "was willing to entertain a .01% possibility"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Yinlock posted:

gonna have to be more specific, because calling his ascendancy better could mean "was willing to entertain a .01% possibility"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Condiv posted:

While Perez may not have experience running for elections Ellison doesn't have experience running institutions. I also don't like the idea of having a 53 year old Chief Deputy Whip resign from Congress when we have a 76 year old minority leader and a 77 year old Minority Whip. You know what I like better then DNC Chairman Keith Ellison, Speaker of the House Keith Ellison.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

karthun posted:

While Perez may not have experience running for elections Ellison doesn't have experience running institutions. I also don't like the idea of having a 53 year old Chief Deputy Whip resign from Congress when we have a 76 year old minority leader and a 77 year old Minority Whip. You know what I like better then DNC Chairman Keith Ellison, Speaker of the House Keith Ellison.

:laffo: ellison is one of nine chief deputy whips, so reaching speaker is not a clear line of succession for keith ellison

i'd rather have him take the position of power he's closer to taking than a longshot that may take 10-20 years for him to reach.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Why oh why would you ever favor Ellison over Perez, at least in results-oriented terms on the national level?

quote:

MAHER: Then why doesn't your party come out against the Second Amendment? It's the problem.

ELLISON: I sure wish they would. I sure wish they would.

That's on tape. Not background checks, not assault rifles. The Second Amendment. Are the people supporting Ellison, like, congenitally incapable of learning from past results?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Ellison isn't running for a popular election. Being a gun control hardliner isn't a liability in this case.

The fact that you're trying to treat opposing Heller as a bad thing probably means you're just concern trolling though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

DeusExMachinima posted:

Why oh why would you ever favor Ellison over Perez, at least in results-oriented terms on the national level?

That's on tape. Not background checks, not assault rifles. The Second Amendment. Are the people supporting Ellison, like, congenitally incapable of learning from past results?

not particularly worried about it. it's not like perez is gonna be much better. the full quote from that interview:

quote:

MAHER: Why doesn't your party come out against the Second Amendment? It's the problem.

ELLISON: I sure wish they would. I sure wish they would.

MAHER: Really? Because I never hear anybody in the Democratic party say that. But they say, 'I am also a strong supporter.'

ELLISON: You have got to check out the progressive caucus. We have come out very strong for common-sense gun safety rules.

and here's perez pushing for common-sense gun safety laws

i'd prefer the dems give up on gun control, especially after the terrible no-fly list sit-in, but neither candidate is really gonna be the NRA's friend and i don't think gun control was the deciding issue this election.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'd follow Bernie off a cliff but I kind of wish Dean hadn't dropped out. He can get people elected, which is what the job entails.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'd follow Bernie off a cliff but I kind of wish Dean hadn't dropped out. He can get people elected, which is what the job entails.

Dean's plan was to get blue dogs elected, and he did, and it's part of how the Democrats ended up in the mess they're in now.

It's part of why DNC leadership agenda doesn't neatly map into political record. Dean the politician was progressive, Dean the DNC head envisioned a big-tent Democratic Party that managed to somehow include everyone from progressives like himself to southern conservatives. I'm honestly not sure how Ellison or Perez are going to decentralize Democratic control while also effectively promoting a consistent progressive agenda! (The need to do so is the subtext of all of those pseudocontroversial "we need people devoted to equality but also the economy" Sanders speeches, incidentally.) Dean didn't do a very good job of it, and arguably didn't even consider it a priority.

Also, Dean and Sanders don't get along, and Dean has been working as a lobbyist in the interim.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He tried everything to get people to like him. He was the only person to have the balls to call Bannon an out and out nazi.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Cease to Hope posted:

Ellison isn't running for a popular election. Being a gun control hardliner isn't a liability in this case.

The fact that you're trying to treat opposing Heller as a bad thing probably means you're just concern trolling though

I really, really think that putting him at the wheel would open up the Dems as a whole to being defined by a soundbite that will be played over and over. The law that was overturned by the Heller decision can and did punish people for having an assembled gun in a safe so you're definitely opening yourself up to a "regulating poo poo out of existence" attack angle. I know Perez is against the NRA too but typically almost everyone has the brains to deliver it with a "I support the 2nd but..." and/or a "we don't have to choose between gun rights and gun safety" pitch. Ellison really didn't have to put that out there in the way he did, like, at all. It's baffling.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 5, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Is the job of the DNC chair primarily policy, or strategy around election organization (ie sending money places, directing how money is spent at the state level)?

The job of the DNC chair is primarily strategy around election organization. To be specific, their main jobs are fundraising and soliciting donations, directing the usage of those resources to protect incumbent Dems and elect new ones, and so on. They have no real say over policy; at best, they can somewhat guide national-level messaging and ad buys. Their ability to change the party is fairly limited - they're not in any position to tell centrist Dems to gently caress off and back primary challengers against them, or anything like that.

And most importantly of all, the chair is not a dictator, and is very limited in their ability to do something that the DNC's 400-plus members disagree with. For example, the initial draft of the 2016 Democratic platform was composed by a committee of 15 DNC members, and was finalized by a committee of 187 DNC members. Even on executive decisions, the chair's power is nowhere near absolute - the DNC also has five vice-chairs and a National Finance Chair, all of whom are elected by the entire DNC membership. There's not much info out there on the day-by-day workings of the DNC, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't much matter who wins the chairman battle - both viable candidates have pretty much the same plan for the party anyway. It's mainly just a proxy battle being waged by various factions intent on getting a symbolic victory to demonstrate their power over the future of the party.

What matters far more for changing the direction of the party is changing the composition of the DNC as a whole, which mostly means putting new people in high positions in state-level DNCs - which we should be doing anyway as part of reversing Dems' heavy losses in state governments. Honestly, the focus on the national DNC chair might be damaging that effort - both because people are directing resources and attention at that rather than at the far-more-important state races, and also because progressives are directing their attention and resources toward a guy who's actively undermining state-level progressive efforts. The Sanders folks in Florida are not happy with Ellison, who endorsed an establishment megadonor against their preferred candidate in the race for Florida DNC chair, and I can say from personal experience that being a Florida progressive is discouraging enough already without being outrighr betrayed like that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

The job of the DNC chair is primarily strategy around election organization. To be specific, their main jobs are fundraising and soliciting donations, directing the usage of those resources to protect incumbent Dems and elect new ones, and so on. They have no real say over policy; at best, they can somewhat guide national-level messaging and ad buys. Their ability to change the party is fairly limited - they're not in any position to tell centrist Dems to gently caress off and back primary challengers against them, or anything like that.

And most importantly of all, the chair is not a dictator, and is very limited in their ability to do something that the DNC's 400-plus members disagree with. For example, the initial draft of the 2016 Democratic platform was composed by a committee of 15 DNC members, and was finalized by a committee of 187 DNC members. Even on executive decisions, the chair's power is nowhere near absolute - the DNC also has five vice-chairs and a National Finance Chair, all of whom are elected by the entire DNC membership. There's not much info out there on the day-by-day workings of the DNC, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't much matter who wins the chairman battle - both viable candidates have pretty much the same plan for the party anyway. It's mainly just a proxy battle being waged by various factions intent on getting a symbolic victory to demonstrate their power over the future of the party.

What matters far more for changing the direction of the party is changing the composition of the DNC as a whole, which mostly means putting new people in high positions in state-level DNCs - which we should be doing anyway as part of reversing Dems' heavy losses in state governments. Honestly, the focus on the national DNC chair might be damaging that effort - both because people are directing resources and attention at that rather than at the far-more-important state races, and also because progressives are directing their attention and resources toward a guy who's actively undermining state-level progressive efforts. The Sanders folks in Florida are not happy with Ellison, who endorsed an establishment megadonor against their preferred candidate in the race for Florida DNC chair, and I can say from personal experience that being a Florida progressive is discouraging enough already without being outrighr betrayed like that.

Perez isn't popular with Bernie voters because he supported Hillary
Ellison isn't popular with Southern minorities because he supported Bernie
Jaime Harrison isn't popular with voters because they have no idea who he is and, if you google him, the first thing you find out after that he's the SC Party chair is he's a lobbyist

People are going to have to put their delicate opinions to the side and largely forget who supported who in the primaries if they want to find the right candidate for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

I really, really think that putting him at the wheel would open up the Dems as a whole to being defined by a soundbite that will be played over and over.

You mean, moreso than the fact that Ellison is a black Muslim? Anyway, nobody outside of the party knows or cares about the particular political positions of the DNC head.

"Who the gently caress is Tim Kaine?"

• Locked thread