Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

tadashi posted:

Perez isn't popular with Bernie voters because he supported Hillary
Ellison isn't popular with Southern minorities because he supported Bernie
Jaime Harrison isn't popular with voters because they have no idea who he is and, if you google him, the first thing you find out after that he's the SC Party chair is he's a lobbyist

What's your basis for saying this?

quote:

People are going to have to put their delicate opinions to the side and largely forget who supported who in the primaries if they want to find the right candidate for the job.

Why? There's symbolism at play here. You can't really escape the fact that Bernie and Warren are putting their chips behind one candidate and that a lot of people who are still pissed off over the primary are mobilizing around stopping that candidate. There's a factional power struggle going on here and that power struggle is likely to have implications for how the party interprets it's defeat in 2016.

It sounds very high minded and mature to posture about the need to let bygones be bygones but is that really reflective of how political power operates in practice? A win for Ellison presumably emboldens the Bernie Bros. His defeat suggests the party is still resistant to handing them more power. I guess you could argue that it would be better if these overtones weren't projected onto the race for chairman but that's not really avoidable at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I love how liberals alternate between excusing their behavior by talking down to people about realpolitik and then demand this Imperial Cult-like veneration of the political process and it's offices.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DeusExMachinima posted:

I really, really think that putting him at the wheel would open up the Dems as a whole to being defined by a soundbite that will be played over and over. The law that was overturned by the Heller decision can and did punish people for having an assembled gun in a safe so you're definitely opening yourself up to a "regulating poo poo out of existence" attack angle. I know Perez is against the NRA too but typically almost everyone has the brains to deliver it with a "I support the 2nd but..." and/or a "we don't have to choose between gun rights and gun safety" pitch. Ellison really didn't have to put that out there in the way he did, like, at all. It's baffling.
Right, because there is no way that the NRA would just attack every Democrat, ever, as wanting to destroy the 2nd amendment with no proof at all. I'm sure that if we go with Perez, Wayne Lapierre will go out and immediately say "actually, Democrats are fine with guns and single issue voters do not need to oppose them".

The NRA IS an extension of the GOP. The reality of how dems approach guns is completely and totally irrelevant, and they will be painted as wanting to give MAAAH GUUUURNS to those filthy inner city urban ferals even if they make Micheal goddamn Bay the chair. May as well own that poo poo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Fulchrum posted:

Right, because there is no way that the NRA would just attack every Democrat, ever, as wanting to destroy the 2nd amendment with no proof at all. I'm sure that if we go with Perez, Wayne Lapierre will go out and immediately say "actually, Democrats are fine with guns and single issue voters do not need to oppose them".

The NRA IS an extension of the GOP. The reality of how dems approach guns is completely and totally irrelevant, and they will be painted as wanting to give MAAAH GUUUURNS to those filthy inner city urban ferals even if they make Micheal goddamn Bay the chair. May as well own that poo poo.

Remember, Obama didn't make a peep about stricter gun regulations until the Sandy Hook shooting, which happened after the 2012 election.

Before that, NRA President Wayne LaPierre said the utter lack of gun control efforts was part of a "massive Obama conspiracy" to lure us into a false sense of security.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 6, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm at the point that with guns, I'm not sure it's worth fighting.

Guns on their own don't cause any problems, they just make other problems worse by an order of magnitude.

I think we'd have better luck combating inner city violence without addressing guns than losing elections while getting sidetracked on guns.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Guns are not one of the major issues in the DNC chair election.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To Keep The Fight Alive, I Think Having A Dedicated Place To Discuss Ideas And Strategies Is In Order. If You Don't Like How The Trump Presidency Looks, Consider Joining Here And Figuring Out Methods To Fight Back!

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Guns on their own don't cause any problems, they just make other problems worse by an order of magnitude.

They really don't though, thinking gun control matters is the left wing version of "climate change isn't real"... a gut based reason that isn't backed up by science!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Gun control is not one of the major issues facing the DNC chair election.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

They really don't though, thinking gun control matters is the left wing version of "climate change isn't real"... a gut based reason that isn't backed up by science!

Well maybe it is, but we can't do the science thanks to the NRA, so six of one.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Cease to Hope posted:

You mean, moreso than the fact that Ellison is a black Muslim?

Alright, you got me there. That'll make him Satan incarnate automatically and I really should've considered that.

Fulchrum posted:

Ehhh, I'd analogize it to the Democratic perception of Republicans on abortion being completely untrustworthy (because they are). If the Republicans came to you tomorrow and said "hey this whole abortion thing, big whoopsie on our part, let's just move on," you wouldn't suddenly stop donating to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood because hey, it's totally over now. You'd wait to see if they repeal their restrictions in deep red states on their own, and then you'd wait a generation or two before you really started to believe they'd changed. Going straight on gun control for the first half of Obama's presidency while still banning scary-looking rifles in certain deep blue states isn't going to get anyone off your case. In their shoes you wouldn't either.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Helsing posted:

What's your basis for saying this?

Why? There's symbolism at play here. You can't really escape the fact that Bernie and Warren are putting their chips behind one candidate and that a lot of people who are still pissed off over the primary are mobilizing around stopping that candidate. There's a factional power struggle going on here and that power struggle is likely to have implications for how the party interprets it's defeat in 2016.

It sounds very high minded and mature to posture about the need to let bygones be bygones but is that really reflective of how political power operates in practice? A win for Ellison presumably emboldens the Bernie Bros. His defeat suggests the party is still resistant to handing them more power. I guess you could argue that it would be better if these overtones weren't projected onto the race for chairman but that's not really avoidable at this point.

This poo poo feels like a Christopher Nolan movie in which it's like we aren't really electing people, but rather we are electing ideas. It feels as if it isn't about the person but rather who they represent.

Main Paineframe posted:

The job of the DNC chair is primarily strategy around election organization. To be specific, their main jobs are fundraising and soliciting donations, directing the usage of those resources to protect incumbent Dems and elect new ones, and so on. They have no real say over policy; at best, they can somewhat guide national-level messaging and ad buys. Their ability to change the party is fairly limited - they're not in any position to tell centrist Dems to gently caress off and back primary challengers against them, or anything like that.

And most importantly of all, the chair is not a dictator, and is very limited in their ability to do something that the DNC's 400-plus members disagree with. For example, the initial draft of the 2016 Democratic platform was composed by a committee of 15 DNC members, and was finalized by a committee of 187 DNC members. Even on executive decisions, the chair's power is nowhere near absolute - the DNC also has five vice-chairs and a National Finance Chair, all of whom are elected by the entire DNC membership. There's not much info out there on the day-by-day workings of the DNC, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't much matter who wins the chairman battle - both viable candidates have pretty much the same plan for the party anyway. It's mainly just a proxy battle being waged by various factions intent on getting a symbolic victory to demonstrate their power over the future of the party.

What matters far more for changing the direction of the party is changing the composition of the DNC as a whole, which mostly means putting new people in high positions in state-level DNCs - which we should be doing anyway as part of reversing Dems' heavy losses in state governments. Honestly, the focus on the national DNC chair might be damaging that effort - both because people are directing resources and attention at that rather than at the far-more-important state races, and also because progressives are directing their attention and resources toward a guy who's actively undermining state-level progressive efforts. The Sanders folks in Florida are not happy with Ellison, who endorsed an establishment megadonor against their preferred candidate in the race for Florida DNC chair, and I can say from personal experience that being a Florida progressive is discouraging enough already without being outrighr betrayed like that.

This I think cannot be stated enough. Because what is the endgame? Even if we push through a dnc chair, what can they really do, and another question is what if they fail, what will the narrative be then? I feel as if people love talking up grass roots stuff, but when it comes to local things people suddenly go silent.

The great thing about internal party politics is that you usually will know most of the people involved on a somewhat personal level if you are even slightly involved.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Helsing posted:

Close, but not quite. This isn't a struggle over who controls the party - that's fantasy talk (the people voting for DNC chair are the same ones who voted for Hillary). It's a struggle over which demographic the Dems should focus on the hardest right now. Should they seek to shore up the left side of the Democratic coalition and motivate young voters with Ellison, or should they focus on rebuilding their collapsing support among unions and the Rust Belt with Perez? Obviously they plan to do both, but which group should they consider most important? That is the issue that Ellison vs Perez is playing proxy war for, and that is also why they're going to such lengths to drag what's normally a backroom process in front of the cameras with a televised debate and everything. They're hoping the winning pick will help them motivate a demographic now, even without actual policy changes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

should they focus on rebuilding their collapsing support among unions and the Rust Belt with Perez?

Ellison is endorsed by the AFL-CIO and is from Minnesota.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Have we discussed the possibility about physically fusing the two together and creating one super liberal?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Have we discussed the possibility about physically fusing the two together and creating one super liberal?

Yeah, but we got hung up on whether to call them Thomas Ellison or Keith Perez.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the fusion dance isn't permanent and we can't get a potara without the gods

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

Could we Velvet Room it? Or would we just end up with a giant penis riding a chariot as DNC head. Cause among other things, that's gonna make fighting for womens rights look real awkward.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 6, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Quote is not edit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Condiv posted:

Even if we did, Potara between two non-kais only lasts 1 hour, anyway.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think we'd have better luck combating inner city violence without addressing guns than losing elections while getting sidetracked on guns.

"Sensible Gun Safety Laws" AKA Gun Control AKA Ban Guns is the shiny electrical socket that Democrats just can't seem to stop shoving their dicks into every couple years.

Dr Christmas posted:

Remember, Obama didn't make a peep about stricter gun regulations until the Sandy Hook shooting, which happened after the 2012 election.

Before that, NRA President Wayne LaPierre said the utter lack of gun control efforts was part of a "massive Obama conspiracy" to lure us into a false sense of security.

He didn't make much of a peep as president, but shortly before he was elected he had stated he was in favor of banning posession of all handguns, and most rifles. Mind you this was while he was in Chicago so that probably played well there, but it's not like his feelings were unknown on the topic before sandy hook. (source: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008_Dems_Philly.htm )

Someone pointed out that gun control is not one of the major issues for the DNC Chairperson election, but right now, on a left-leaning forum, we've just been sidetracked by gun control.

The Democratic party allowed a Reagan Republican (brady) to hang a nice albatross around their neck, and because in the eyes of many the party can Do No Wrong, nobody can admit it was a major mistake that's helped lead to countless lost elections and pointless disunity by defending it to the hilt.

It's depressing as gently caress to watch.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Alright, you got me there. That'll make him Satan incarnate automatically and I really should've considered that.

Ehhh, I'd analogize it to the Democratic perception of Republicans on abortion being completely untrustworthy (because they are). If the Republicans came to you tomorrow and said "hey this whole abortion thing, big whoopsie on our part, let's just move on," you wouldn't suddenly stop donating to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood because hey, it's totally over now. You'd wait to see if they repeal their restrictions in deep red states on their own, and then you'd wait a generation or two before you really started to believe they'd changed. Going straight on gun control for the first half of Obama's presidency while still banning scary-looking rifles in certain deep blue states isn't going to get anyone off your case. In their shoes you wouldn't either.

This is very accurate.

Derail aside, yes, the DNC chair does not specifically make policy apart from "how to build a network of people to help run campaigns", and Ellison is really good at that. I hope he wins.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Gun control is by a pretty sizeable margin the most popular thing Democrats do, with 93% of Americans in agreement about it. This is higher than the social safety net, a liveable minimum wage, minority rights, police reform, virtually everything. If you think gun control is a loser issue, loving every single other issue is too.

Young leftists scoff at Democrats not fighting hard enough on issues, but then you have leftists who will just start the conversation from "we need to give the NRA everything they want or they'll be mean to us. Ahh, screw the shooting victims, this is about getting elected". The hypocrisy is stunning.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 6, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unfortunately, however, America's government is broken and give that remaining 7% unlimited power to oppress and rule us. So, yes, all those issues are loser issues because it's not what the 7% who own us want.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Why care about anything ever, I guess.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Why care about anything ever, I guess.

Kind of the opposite, really. Should make you rage and scream more and get out there and try to force those 7% to change their mind or not vote so the views of the silent majority can be heard.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't know why Dems are so obsessed with gun control and oh hey, look, another mass shooting

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Are you guys really going to let gun control derail this thread before it even hits four pages?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Fulchrum posted:

Gun control is by a pretty sizeable margin the most popular thing Democrats do, with 93% of Americans in agreement about it. This is higher than the social safety net, a liveable minimum wage, minority rights, police reform, virtually everything. If you think gun control is a loser issue, loving every single other issue is too.

Young leftists scoff at Democrats not fighting hard enough on issues, but then you have leftists who will just start the conversation from "we need to give the NRA everything they want or they'll be mean to us. Ahh, screw the shooting victims, this is about getting elected". The hypocrisy is stunning.

This is disingenuous as gently caress. One sub issue, universa background checks Of Some Form (generally opening up NICS to the general public), has universal support. The actual plans that are put out, (generally requiring all sales go through an ffl with a substantial fee causing used items to be more expensive than new ones) do not get anywhere near that sypport, shockingly, and when you start delving into other issues, (awb, bans based on secret lists, handgun bans, etc) that support turns negative. You know this, and yet you still try to pass it off as "widely popular" for everything.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 6, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Helsing posted:

Are you guys really going to let gun control derail this thread before it even hits four pages?

Keith or Perez! Who wins! You don't decide! We're the democratic party and we know better!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doccers posted:

This is disingenuous as gently caress. One sub issue, universa background checks Of Some Form (generally opening up NICS to the general public), has universal support. The actual plans that are put out, (generally requiring all sales go through an ffl with a substantial fee causing used items to be more expensive than new ones) do not get anywhere near that sypport, shockingly, and when you start delving into other issues, (awb, bans based on secret lists, handgun bans, etc) that support turns negative. You know this, and yet you still try to pass it off as "widely popular" for everything.

Yes, because loving everything gets way less popular the more you go into the details and specifics. Exactly how popular is a prison system that focuses on rehabilitation and attempts to minimize all punishment aspects. But the order remain the same - with an equivalent level of detail, gun control is still ahead.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Noted pornography watcher Josh Marshall of TPM interviewed Keith Ellison on his show:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/why-does-keith-ellison-want-to-be-chair-of-the-dnc

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Covok posted:

Keith or Perez! Who wins! You don't decide! We're the democratic party and we know better!

DNC chairman doesn't need to be popularly elected and it'd be pretty loving stupid to do so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sorry, wrong thread.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nevvy Z posted:

DNC chairman doesn't need to be popularly elected and it'd be pretty loving stupid to do so.

Yeah, I think this is blowing up into something much bigger than it should be, considering what the DNC chair actually does.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Zikan posted:

Noted pornography watcher Josh Marshall of TPM interviewed Keith Ellison on his show:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/why-does-keith-ellison-want-to-be-chair-of-the-dnc

After about 15 minutes or so they get into the nitty gritty in a way I think is useful.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pete Buttiegeg, an Indiana Mayor, is entering the fray, with a bold and unique vision - doing what everyone else running for the job already wants to do.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/pete-buttigieg-vision-positions-dnc-chair-2017-1?r=US&IR=T

Also, Keith Ellisson has picked a press secretary.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/313883-keith-ellison-picks-ex-dnc-latino-as-press-secretary

I'm unclear if that is a press secretary for his campaign for the position, or someone he'll pick as press secretary if he gets it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I think this is blowing up into something much bigger than it should be, considering what the DNC chair actually does.
The person chosen as the DNC chair is a representation of how the DNC is going to respond to criticism of their crappy awful dogshit party and whether or not I should have even a sliver of hope that they learn a single loving lesson from this election. Changing the leadership of the party, even in trivial roles is important as a signal to me and many other progressives who think that the weak-rear end bullshit of the party will continue and whether we can continue to not give a poo poo about anything they say and continue to have miserable midterm turnout.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I like Ellison better than Perez because he's a more effective and experienced organizer, but I don't see how Perez is meaningfully tainted by association with Obama or Clinton. He hasn't been part of Clinton's poorly-run campaigns, he favors the same sort of decentralized volunteer-led politics that Ellison (and Sanders) do, and he's not indebted to Clinton for his political career to date. I understand that he's not The Sanders Faction Candidate, and I don't like the DNC defeating Ellison just to symbolically punch left.

Other than that he's not Ellison, what's wrong with Perez?

There's no point to his campaign.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

The person chosen as the DNC chair is a representation of how the DNC is going to respond to criticism of their crappy awful dogshit party and whether or not I should have even a sliver of hope that they learn a single loving lesson from this election. Changing the leadership of the party, even in trivial roles is important as a signal to me and many other progressives who think that the weak-rear end bullshit of the party will continue and whether we can continue to not give a poo poo about anything they say and continue to have miserable midterm turnout.

Yeah. Look at 2014 and the miserable showing in that election which almost directly led to where we are now. Think about how if the Senate was still controlled by the Democrats when Scalia died and how different it would be right now or if Trump was president and the Senate was 51-49 in favor of the Dems. Basically giving up on midterms because "well Democrats don't vote in midterms so why bother" is a defeatist attitude that came from the top down and was parroted here by the Democrat faithful. Or how about how when people ask why certain state Democratic operations (like Wisconsin or Florida) are a mess and the response is "well that's the way it is :shrug:" and there's no follow up on how to fix those. The DNC chair matters even if it's totally symbolic because it shows that the party maybe gives a poo poo instead of just being the party of "hey those other guys are jerks right (but not really that big of jerks since we go and have drinks with them after work)." You can't look like you don't care because everything is fine and then expect people to believe you when suddenly you start campaigning as the only way to stop Republicans from loving us all.

The previous DNC chair was standing up for loving payday lenders which is outrageously shameful for the supposed left leaning party. That alone should have disqualified her but even after her failure in 2014 there were still defenders saying that people are being too hard on her and then welp a SCOTUS seat was stolen so yeah it really matters.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
A while ago I talked to somebody and they said something interesting.

They said that it seems increasingly likely that Dems will be unable to fully galvanize a Hispanic voting base to their side, and that Perez, with his ties to Hispanic and Chicano communities, has the best chance of reversing that and (presumably) establishing a solid Latinx/Hispanic/Chicanx coalition on the level of African-American Dem support.

Personally, I'd be pretty happy with either Perez or Ellison becoming DNC chair. I definitely think that electing Ellison would be a real cool and positive message by the DNC regarding Muslim voices. In a vague, general sense I just find him more interesting!

Chelb fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread