Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Condiv posted:

imo, perez isn't the worst thing ever for a DNC chair pick but his lack of election experience as opposed to ellison makes him strictly inferior to ellison, as well as ellison having called trump's ascendancy better than most dems.

While Perez may not have experience running for elections Ellison doesn't have experience running institutions. I also don't like the idea of having a 53 year old Chief Deputy Whip resign from Congress when we have a 76 year old minority leader and a 77 year old Minority Whip. You know what I like better then DNC Chairman Keith Ellison, Speaker of the House Keith Ellison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

rscott posted:

Anyone know how Warren's speech was received amongst the Democratic establishment? It doesn't matter terribly much who is the DNC chair as long as their sentiments match up to what she said

Warren, being the Senior Senator from the State of Massachusetts, is the Democratic establishment.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, not quite. It wasn't an investment, I lived in it and had to take a loss because I moved.

I assume you've never owned a home and experienced the fun of being over 150k upside down on your mortgage for years on end and knowing that your rear end is hanging out. I'll tell you this: it's not pleasant. At least I didn't get evicted.

Also stop pretending I'm saying "TARP shouldn't have happened" or "the banks should have catastrophically melted down" because I'm not saying that at all. What I'm saying is that the lion's share of TARP helped banks (they even paid themselves BONUSES) while the rest of the country got hung out to dry. And everyone knows that, even people like me who have brain farts and think that Obama was responsible for it.

If it wasn't an investment then you wouldn't have cared that you were upside down on your mortgage because it would still be better to pay the mortgage then to rent. Whats really impressive is being down 150k. Did you buy a home for 500k with 20% down that was only worth 250k?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

fsif posted:

I really hope Keith just gets this tomorrow and I never have to hear about this stupid thing ever a-loving-gain.

You know that if Keith gets it eventually he will do something that will piss off the burnouts and they will demand his head.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

If he fucks up then I hope they do! ☺️

That's the thing though, any political leader will make mistakes. Risks are good and not all of them will hash out. People are going to be expected perfection from either Ellison or Perez and neither of them will deliver it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

If he promptly apologizes and corrects course after receiving feedback then I'm sure we'll be merciful. It's kinda how politics works.

But again, these are risks. Some of them will take years to produce fruit, many of them will not. A 50 state strategy for example is going to lead to a bunch of Reps more like Colin Peterson then Keith Ellison everywhere between the Mississippi River and the Rockies. You are already starting to hear grumbling with Senator Heitkamp. So whats going to happen when the DNC has to work with her to get reelected?

Calibanibal posted:

its important that politicians be able to make decisions w/out worrying what constituents want or think

When your constituents want tax cuts, increase spending and a decrease in the deficit then yes, politicians have to be able to ignore some aspect of their constituents demands.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Tell me more about how we need to rake leftists over the coals for trying too hard to push the party left, but folks like Manchin and Heitkamp are A-OK for doing whatever the gently caress they want.

There isn't any leftists in West Virginia and North Dakota to push Manchin and Heitkamp to the left. University of North Dakota is basically all of District 42, they elected a Republican State Senator and two Republican State Reps and voted against Berniecrat Chase Iron Eyes for Federal House Rep. You have college students voting for Republicans and you think there is a going to be a rising leftist tide in North Dakota?

If you want a 50 state strategy you are going to have accept a hell of a lot more people like Manchin and Heitkamp. If you want to target someone go after Senators Feinstein and Caper, go after the 50 or so Rep's who are more conservative then their district. Don't go after Collin Peterson, after he is gone that seat will always go red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I'll take it in trade for Ellison 2028. :getin:

Speaker Ellison

• Locked thread