Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Considering all the talk from him about caucusing with the Republicans if Clinton won they should just cut him loose altogether

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone know how Warren's speech was received amongst the Democratic establishment? It doesn't matter terribly much who is the DNC chair as long as their sentiments match up to what she said

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

karthun posted:

Warren, being the Senior Senator from the State of Massachusetts, is the Democratic establishment.

She is part of one wing of it, but she's a first term senator. How much support does this have with the insiders who were backing Clinton all the way back in 2012 and 13? That will tell you which way the party is going to be steered.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

While there are long-time Clinton insiders in the DNC race (e.g. Greene), only Perez and Ellison are likely to win, and neither of them fit that description.

The power in the party doesn't lie with the chair though, it lies in the hands of the various cliques who control state/county parties. If they're on board with the narrative Warren put up then it will be far easier to get progressive candidates in local elections to build the bench.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Zikan posted:

i'm the biggest keithomanic on the board and the fact that schumer has been able to hold together his caucus to do the mass no votes on trump nominees after the public pressure hit should give him some slack imo

The only one so far has been DeVos though? There's like what one or two Democrats who haven't voted for a Trump cabinet candidate and over a dozen iirc who voted for every one up until DeVos.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I hope to see something like an initiative to have a democrat candidate for every state level election in every state of country. If they want to take corporate money they need to at least use it in a way that is meaningful. It's like Wayne Gretzky says, you miss all the shots you don't take.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The plan that Ellison and Perez put forward for the future of the party weren't very different in the debate they had so it's probably a good idea to see what they're actually gonna do before you throw your hands up and say gently caress it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So how is this neoliberal dipshit going to get younger people who despise what Hillary did to run for office, huh?

The serving Democrats are literally dying out while being significantly older than members of the GOP wing.

How was Keith Ellison gonna do it and how is that different from what Perez is going for do?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Condiv posted:

problem #1, my local party is skeletal, and the dnc doesn't give a poo poo.
problem #2, i'm not local to my local party, so my ability to contribute is limited, and last time I asked and begged they told me to come back in 2017 when they're getting ready for 2018 elections.
problem #3, my local party is already pretty well aligned with me (which is loving sad considering the state is blood red). you centrists are loving everything up for us.

If your local party is aligned well with your views, if you join it should be easy to get someone who represents your views in positions that determine which candidate gets party backing, if it's skeletal right now then helping to flesh out the party will make your opinion more valuable to other members of the party and you will help create a lefter democratic party

Taking over existing power structures and bending them to your wishes is always easier than building your own from scratch, so you should always try to do that first if you can

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

Good ol' Chuck "We'll gain two suburban republicans for every working-class voter we lose" Schumer, that guy really knows what's up.

You know he endorsed Ellison right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

Good for him. I'm still not going to piss on him if he's on fire.

OK but if he is dumb and bad when it comes to electoral strategy then shouldn't it matter who he endorses for a position that is supposedly controlling the direction the party travels in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Rodatose posted:

The tea party after 2008 did not follow this advice and republicans were rewarded with all three branches of federal government.
If supposedly liberal, progressive wealthy people put their money where their mouth is to the extent right wing radicals funded the tea party then of course you'll see massive changes, but I'm not holding my breath on that happening

• Locked thread