Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I don't get the fascination with the DNC Chair position. It's a terrible job that progressives should want nothing to do with. Ellison's primary role would be kissing up to donors up and down the coasts to ensure Democrats have half the funding of their GOP counterparts, instead of 1/3rd the funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

But didn't the Democrats outspend the Republicans by some tremendous margin in this past election?

Trump had alienated a lot of the GOP donor base, and most importantly the Koch network. I wouldn't be surprised to see them dump over $1b into defending GOP control of all three branches of government in the next 4 years. Whoever the next DNC chief is, will practically be camping out on the couch of every celebrity and Silicon Valley millionaire.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Chelb posted:

On the other hand, I'm not sure if there's much solid evidence regarding black people being more apathetic in 2016.

I definitely remember seeing a lot of interviews in black communities by different journalists to gauge their feelings about the two candidates, and there was a lot of apathy towards Hillary and Democrats in general. A lot of respondents didn't like Trump but felt the Democrats didn't do anything for them so they were not going to vote.

Unfortunately, they seemed to forget that minimizing the ability of others to do harm to them is doing something. I can only imagine the reaction of BLM the next time there is a shooting, and the entire federal government is siding with the police.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would prefer him to win, but on otoh if you can wrangle the votes of these assholes, idk how you're going to make the wheels of power turn.

Ellison needs to stay away from the DNC. Let Perez deal with the sausage making, and step forward to become the de facto leader of the entire party instead.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WampaLord posted:

I'm not angry at them, I'm angry at you for calling $150,000 "only" in any sense.

Even if you live in a high CoL area, that is a lot of money. You will have every need fulfilled. You will not struggle to survive. To say "only $150k" is out of touch as gently caress.

I make $40k, there are millions more making less than that and you want their votes too.

A family making 150k in NYC/SF/DC is fulfilling their needs about as much as a similar family in the middle of nowhere making half that.

• Locked thread