Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
I was actually really impressed with Pete Buttigieg's interview on Pod Save America. Though admittedly, that could just be in comparison to the interview afterwards, with the ex-lobbyist arguing how not all lobbyists are corrupt shills. I still think Ellison is the right choice for DNC chair, but I hope Buttigieg doesn't just fade away after the leadership race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

axeil posted:

All lobbyists aren't corrupt shills though? :confused:

Or are you arguing that Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, the ASPCA, etc. are big money corporate shills?

Sometimes lobbying can actually be good! making GBS threads on lobbyists in general seems to be code for "people with money advocating for something I don't like" which...fine but don't smear all of lobbying just because you don't think interest groups should have a say at the table. That way leads to groups that you probably agree with being shut out of the process.

And honestly, lobbying isn't really the problem, it's campaign contributions. If all races were 100% publicly financed there wouldn't be the corruption issue when say, the family of a Secretary of Education nominee donates money to the Senate campaigns of those who have to confirm her.

I think that both are huge problems. It might be that I'm Canadian, and we have really stringent laws on fundraising and spending on the public dime (though how effective they are is questionable, we're kind of in the middle of a pay-for-access scandal).

As I understand them, Washington restrictions are really weak, so the ACLU lobbying is great, but any given hedge fund or massive industry can outspend them ten to one and block out any suggestion the decent lobbyists could make that would be bad for their business. But I am not entirely familiar with lobbying in Washington, and concede I could be perceiving it wrong and that it's actually more fair than I think it is.

• Locked thread