Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

You know who really hates those things tho, the Republicans.

Yeah they love things and I hate them with a passion for it. Now why should I support a party that days Oh we believe in the exact same thing, only slightly less racist. If you run as the diet version of your opposition, their base isn't going to turn out for you cause they can just go vote for the original and you're going to alienate your base because they're going to wonder why bother voting for you if you're just going to behave like the people they wouldn't vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But yeah one of the things Perez wants I am most excited about is a paid legal taskforce to combat and challenge restrictive voter laws, since Grand Wizard Sessions has made it clear he doesn't give a gently caress, it's going to fall to non-government forces to fight this poo poo.

As awful as it is that Perez was the pick the conservative wing went with because "Ellison was too far left." The things he has been saying had been giving me hope that just loving maybe he at least learned something useful this past election. Sadly we will have to wait and see.

But now that Party leadership is over maybe the Democrats can actually start organizing against Trump.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Confounding Factor posted:

Anything you can tell me what Perez has said that gives you hope? I'm still suspicious of the Democratic Party.

There was the thing about making the Democrats actually run in elections which is a huge boost. I could have sworn he said something Sunday as well but I don't remember what it was

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Voters are not that stupid. People do, however, want a simple coherent message and that is what Bernie's main appeal was.

No everything must be means tested and weighted and on a grade. All the benefits of Democrats governing must be hidden behind miles and miles of red tape. People love paperwork

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Man, it sure will be great when we get rid of means-tested bullshit like SSDI and affirmative action! Color-blindness for everyone!

How the gently caress do you make this assumption when the problem is people aren't seeing the benefits of these programs or they are set up to be too hard to actually help people. Like there are people on disability who don't qualify for ACA Medicaid subsidized plans for some goddamn reason. You can have Universal programs as well things like Affirmative Action. What doesn't help is means tested bullshit that cuts off the second you make a penny more than the line says. You know like the part where I said people love paperwork (they actually loving don't and hiding how to apply for Medicaid subsidized plans on the New York State of Health site is all part of that bullshit. Hide the things that people benefit from, because Democrats are idiots that think this is a winning strategy.)

And a double gently caress you for disparaging people with mental health issues while trying to claim some moral high ground

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Targeted programs need to actually hit their targets, my man.

They're all gaps though, Democrats design these programs with huge loving gaps. Maybe the idea should be programs that apply to everyone and than special programs on top of those to give oppressed people's a better leg up. Call me crazy but I think that's a better set up than programs that have gaps of tens of millions of people.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Ruh-roh, there it is. The DNC changing party rules to reduce transparency is a bad sign, even if you don't think the Democrats need to reform it's a good way to alienate progressives. Maybe the thinking is progressives weren't going to turnout in 2018 anyway.

The parallels with the UK Labour party are getting really uncomfortable. In 2016 the Labour establishment even changed a bunch of NEC votes to secret ballots in an ultimately futile attempt to keep Corbyn out of the leadership race. I suppose it's expected existing power structures will try to resist challenges to their power, but it's a shocking to see in the leadership of massively defeated political parties. You'd think in that case there'd be universal acceptance that reform is necessary but nope.

The Iron Law of Institutions. They'd rather hold on to their authority in a failing institution than lose influence in a successful one

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_methods_in_deliberative_assemblies

It seems like Signed Ballots are just a way of recording ballots and has nothing to do with it being a secret ballot

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Secret ballot means that no one knows who voted for whom.

Which is against the bylaws. Glad you could finally be honest

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

But people do know who voted for whom, it's just not publicized, and it shouldn't be publicized because it could put the people who voted in danger.

So we should make all congressional votes secret right? That could put people's lives in danger.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Someone cant tell the difference between a government and a political party

You mean one of the two political parties that control our government. Yeah the Democratic party is just like the Shriners, no loving difference there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

As a white male, Trump would have done much better than he did historically, if he had made a dull website and instead of touring the country kept making references to it.

No don't you see her disappearing for the whole month of August was a tactical stroke of genius. That's why Democrats need to keep silent now when the media is attacking Trump, it's the only way to defeat him

• Locked thread