Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I have bad news for you about people who voted for Bernie: a lot of them weren't going to vote for him in the general.

why is such a great and powerful oracle wasting his time derailing the thread about the DNC chair election

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Why is a living human being with a brain in their head convinced that they can eliminate this discussion instead of backgrounding it into passive-aggressive sniping?

There's a perfectly good election thread.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Medicare Part E - for "Everyone"

There's a DNC chair debate on CNN this Wednesday. They haven't announced who will be attending yet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Hang on, isn't the election Wednesday? I thought we were finally done with this goddamn festering infighting and could finally present a unified front.

It's being held at a DNC meeting, which lasts from Thursday to Sunday this week.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If the public can believe that, for example, universal healthcare, prison reform and and end to the drug war are short term, achievable goals, then I think we can easily beat that proposal. The problem is that the Democratic establishment has lost all credibility for being able to act on these policies, which is why an outsider like Sanders was so compelling. We need a better message, but we also need candidates that aren't tainted by the last 20 years of talking a big game for your campaign, accomplishing nothing and offering free blowies to the MIC instead.

This describes Perez but not Ellison.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The problem with Manchin types - and the 50 state strategy that installed others like him - is that installing conservative Democrats creates the illusion that a Democratic majority can do anything but fend off Republicans, which just generates more disillusionment when they can't.

This is less about Manchin than it is about Lieberman, but it's even worse at the state and city level, where conservative Democrats - especially mayors - are often openly campaigning on stymying any leftward shift.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

The thing is that you could instead go for people who are less republican lite. But still not be fully in support of the democratic party line if only there was more attempts to interact with the rural states populations this would be pretty obvious.

I am referring specifically to Dean's 50 State Strategy, which did seek to elect blue dog Democrats on the presumption that they were the only ones who could get elected in "red" states.

Those Democrats didn't stick, and they depressed Democratic support and turnout in the states where any Democratic role in government was most at risk. I think supporting Democrats everywhere is important, but I haven't yet seen how either Ellison or Perez plan to gain ground and prevent more Liebermans and Manchins.

That's why all of this noise about not giving in to the "hard left" is so obnoxious: one of the would-be Democratic rising stars is running black sites for the city police to torture people. There does need to be a reckoning, for justice, for optics, and so Democrats can govern at all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So we're cutting Bernie off now and going to run someone against him?

Sanders ran in the Democratic primary and won it. It's part of his agreement to caucus with Democrats.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Bernie ran as an independent in 2012, not as a Democrat. He got DSCC funding.

He ran in the Democratic primary, after we cleared the field for him so that no one would run against him.

Sanders was funded by the Democrats, won their primary, caucuses with them, sits on a committee in one of their seats, and votes with them.

Knock off this "not a REAL Democrat" garbage.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 21, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Really? I thought Dean's fifty-state strategy was based around building up the party at the state and local levels, leading to gains not only in Congress (where the Dems were able to pick up districts in places like Kansas and Arizona) but also in governorships and state legislatures.

We are standing in the remains of that strategy. Fighting in Kansas and Arizona and Virginia and Ohio is important, but "a Democrat is anyone who isn't a Republican" is not an inspiring rallying cry.

I am curious to see how Ellison and Perez plan to expand the party out of the cities without electing more Manchins that undercut everyone else.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

axeil posted:

Aw boo hoo, you didn't get everything you wanted. No one ever gets everything they wanted. That doesn't mean you take your ball and go home.

I mean, when the news runs stories about someone setting up black sites using the local police, I have a lot of trouble seeing that guy as the lesser evil, even if his opponent is really, really evil.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

No I loving didn't you insane blathering rear end in a top hat. I said that being pure leftists is not the instant win condition you seen to be utterly convinced it is.

nobody thinks this

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Ellison's organization is devoted to getting out the vote and energizing progressives even when the rest of the ticket isn't backing him. His experience is exactly what the Democrats need right now. That was the most convincing case I've heard for Perez's experience, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The CNN debate is tonight at 10 ET. Looks like all of the candidates are going to be there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The first vote is tomorrow. It may go all weekend.

Technically it doesn't even have to be resolved this weekend, but it almost certainly will be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

I think Buttigieg's main goal is to raise his profile, but with Dean supporting him he may emerge as a compromise candidate in the Adlai mold if hardliners do dig in and this poo poo gets brokered.

This is extremely unlikely because, as you said, there's no much difference between Ellison and Perez.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
spry?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's ellison's gumption versus perez's moxie, and buttigieg is gonna have a gay old time if it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Remember when everyone wanted Perez to be Hillary's VP and usher in a golden-era of progressive change and union-friendly advocacy? 5 months ago before he became a corporatist Manchurian candidate.

the fact that he was shortlisted as Clinton's VP is a large part of why this is so contentious.

• Locked thread