Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Why oh why would you ever favor Ellison over Perez, at least in results-oriented terms on the national level?

quote:

MAHER: Then why doesn't your party come out against the Second Amendment? It's the problem.

ELLISON: I sure wish they would. I sure wish they would.

That's on tape. Not background checks, not assault rifles. The Second Amendment. Are the people supporting Ellison, like, congenitally incapable of learning from past results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Cease to Hope posted:

Ellison isn't running for a popular election. Being a gun control hardliner isn't a liability in this case.

The fact that you're trying to treat opposing Heller as a bad thing probably means you're just concern trolling though

I really, really think that putting him at the wheel would open up the Dems as a whole to being defined by a soundbite that will be played over and over. The law that was overturned by the Heller decision can and did punish people for having an assembled gun in a safe so you're definitely opening yourself up to a "regulating poo poo out of existence" attack angle. I know Perez is against the NRA too but typically almost everyone has the brains to deliver it with a "I support the 2nd but..." and/or a "we don't have to choose between gun rights and gun safety" pitch. Ellison really didn't have to put that out there in the way he did, like, at all. It's baffling.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 5, 2017

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

You mean, moreso than the fact that Ellison is a black Muslim?

Alright, you got me there. That'll make him Satan incarnate automatically and I really should've considered that.

Fulchrum posted:

Right, because there is no way that the NRA would just attack every Democrat, ever, as wanting to destroy the 2nd amendment with no proof at all. I'm sure that if we go with Perez, Wayne Lapierre will go out and immediately say "actually, Democrats are fine with guns and single issue voters do not need to oppose them".

The NRA IS an extension of the GOP. The reality of how dems approach guns is completely and totally irrelevant, and they will be painted as wanting to give MAAAH GUUUURNS to those filthy inner city urban ferals even if they make Micheal goddamn Bay the chair. May as well own that poo poo.

Ehhh, I'd analogize it to the Democratic perception of Republicans on abortion being completely untrustworthy (because they are). If the Republicans came to you tomorrow and said "hey this whole abortion thing, big whoopsie on our part, let's just move on," you wouldn't suddenly stop donating to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood because hey, it's totally over now. You'd wait to see if they repeal their restrictions in deep red states on their own, and then you'd wait a generation or two before you really started to believe they'd changed. Going straight on gun control for the first half of Obama's presidency while still banning scary-looking rifles in certain deep blue states isn't going to get anyone off your case. In their shoes you wouldn't either.

• Locked thread