Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

It doesn't matter. Thats one of the reason Trump won.

You don't win elections based on reality you win them based on rhetoric and lies. This is Politics, what part of this do you not get?

Well then poo poo, might as well get started on murdering and robbing people since I can just lie about doing it and no one will be able to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

Noted accelerationist bernouts Chuck Schumer, John Lewis, Elizabeth Warren, and, uh, Bernie Sanders.

This is baldly dishonest and I don't know why you lie so poorly.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

No you simply don't run campaigns or policies based on truths you run them on lies that sound good.

Bernie got this 80% right. At least the policy that sounded good part. If he had used lies he would have run.

Us: "Were the richest nation on earth and super special, God has choosen us. Because of that magical ability of America we can give everyone in this country healthcare, and balance the budget and destroy the deficit, without increasing taxes for anyone, and we'll make Russia pay for it! Because we are America!"

Them: "Wtf, no you can't"

Us: "America! USA, USA USA! Make America Exceptional Again!"

Them: "your lying."

Us: "no your lying and you hate America's exceptionalism. USA USA USA."

Thats loving politics 101

No it's not. Like, this is poo poo even the most blatant apologists for tyrannical dictatorships (Legalism, etc. would condemn). Because it's birdbrained.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey is effectronica going to explain how I am a anti Semite for wanting money spent on middle eastern countries instead spent on free college ?

I will if you tell me about BOFA.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't know what the even is.

BOFA DEEZ NUTS

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

OK, and clearing the field in that manner got a terrible candidate nominated who lost to an insane reality TV star. Maybe we should be looking towards an alternative for Dem primaries.

Ah, yes, caucuses. Smoke-filled back rooms. Or maybe banning campaign staffing?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Maybe we should have all open primaries and not allow for backdoor scheming that clears the field for a uniquely weak candidate because she shook the correct hands.

We definitely should go back to brokered conventions and also eagerly welcome Operation Chaosing of critical primaries by Republicans. These are smart loving ideas.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Keep in mind that winnowing candidates via multi-round primaries would further depress participation in primaries (leaving aside the extent to which this would be practical under the basic system of winning delegates) and IRV/AV systems have not worked quite as advertised when implemented.

Fiction posted:

I'm glad your fear of trolling Republicans overshadows your desire for the Democrats to be able to run candidates for an increasingly unaligned electorate.

The electorate is increasingly polarized, actually. Party membership declining probably has more to do with why membership in Elks Clubs has declined than with childish fantasies about how the evil neoliberals will all explode by 2019.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Does open primary mean that you don't have to be a registered member of the party to vote?

I believe we have that in Wisconsin, it doesn't seem awful. Is brigading/outside sabotage by conservatives a meaningful problem?

It handed Michigan to George Wallace. It happens, especially when there's an incumbent president running for a second term.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I see. On balance, would we gain more from having open primaries than we'd lose?

I think that depends on the state, to be honest. Which is why letting state parties decide is probably the best idea.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Careful, if you kneejerk any harder you might kick yourself in your own face. What's so offensive about "we should talk to actual people to find out what they think about gun rights and how their individual lives are affected by them, rather than having party leadership dictate a Washington consensus down onto people"?

I'd answer but the dog next door is barking like crazy every time I read the letter.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Frankly, it's about time the Democratic Party endorsed the right to engage in autoselfdefense with a gun.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

I'm sure you have Pete down perfectly. That or you just have preconceived notions about how people and politicians should view the 2nd.

I agree that as many people as possible ought to have the most effective means of autoselfdefense available. The disparity in autoselfdefense rates between men and women is attributable almost entirely to women having disproportionately less access to effective means.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Sorry you cannot comprehend that most Americans want to defend themselves.

That's right, defend themselves against themselves. They rationally conclude, at high rates, that they are the greatest threat to their own well-being and that of the people around them, and Messrs. Smith and Wesson are just one of the many organizations dedicated to assisting them in their moment of need, unlike fascistic hotlines and psychiatrists.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Psychiatry is neoliberal fascism because it attempts to impose this consensus on people's brains, dictating that feelings of misery and despair be drugged and behavior-modified away, to be replaced with capitalist bullshit like self-esteem and happiness. As leftists, we must stand up for the goodness of panic attacks.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

No you don't understand. If you squint really hard at one sentence while ignoring the other 99% of what he said his statement is mildly objectionable. Therefore he is literally Hitler and will give shotguns to your toddlers.

Toddlers should have guns with which to defend themselves from other toddlers and their parents and themselves.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember everyone defending one's self is the same as being a member of the anti psychiatry movement.

Do you disagree that psychiatry is neoliberal imperialism on the mind? Telling people they should be "free" from anxiety attacks and mood swings and intrusive thoughts?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Did you decide to have another mood swing to third world maoism?

Speak English please, I am not fluent in the language of "Gibbering Idiot".

Sapozhnik posted:

How many layers of irony are you two even on

Can you just say "I strongly disagree with [policy x] because [reasons]" without all this nauseating sarcastic condescension

Also, of all the issues around gun ownership, their contribution to suicide rates is an awfully odd thing to get wrapped around the axle about. I'd suggest that we should combat the stigma around mental illness and provide much much greater funding (i.e. greater than what is basically zero) for support services instead.

Friend, it sounds like you believe in telling people what to do. Telling them it's wrong to defend themselves against themselves, that they should receive "cognitive"-"behavioral" "therapy" and "selective" "norepinephrine" "reuptake" "inhibitors" if they feel that desire.

Quite simply, much like how it's neoliberal evil for a politician to do that, to be political, it's even eviller for psychiatrists to exist and impose on our fundamental rights to self-defense and to make monkey love to firearms.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I believe class is more important than race, he said, ignoring the racial history of the labor movement in America.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

maybe make socialized medicine and psychiatry a thing so people can both arm themselves and not be driven to suicide by a system that prioritizes profit over what's best for people?

That's neoliberalism, not populism, you're spouting there. Claiming there's such a thing as "what's best for people" is politicizing politics, whether you're using it as a means to eliminate people's right to autoselfdefense or banning smoking, another neoliberal crime true leftists must oppose.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

do you base all of your political positions on your staunch refusal to seek therapy?

Hahaha, but seriously, if we insist that it's wrong to ever try to convince people of something and politicians should have no beliefs of their own, why does that apply to guns and not the noble and ancient practice of autoselfdefense? Is it because "populism" is an abject act of cowardice for when you have a love of gently loving a surplus Mosin-Nagant but are unwilling to directly defend that love and so must make it via appealing to the popularity of stuffing your genitals in a Remington and calling it self-defense? Or is it because someone else told you you should say these things and you, little toucan that you are, eagerly echoed? The world wonders.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah I think we from now on should rely on grassroots not the data driven cucks. There are a lot of racist shits in the states. There is also a lot of badly ran but entrenched democratic parties that have no desire to turn their states around. Purge the parties of the useless centrists and organize.

The triumph of the will, eh?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

There are no single issue voters in favor of new jersey level gun regulations but the national party seems to believe that even now

Do you have a particular favorite among your guns, one that receives extra Cosmoline lube?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

I don't own any guns I just understand the concept of representative democracy

The part where enthusiasm is more important than percentage of the electorate, the part where safeguarding against Breiviks and Roofs is via medicalizing racism, or the part where we treat depression by restricting people's rights?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Not sure where you're getting 1 and 3 but you're just not making guns unavailable to the degree that you suggest, even with common-sense regulations which most of the nation supports. Just a few Dems have a serious hard-on for going beyond those to the point where they're disarming their own constituents.

You're saying that there aren't any single-issuer voters on the issue so we've got to cater to well-off suburbanites who collect every variant of the M1911 and desperately fantasize about killing people, and that we can solve the problem of guns making suicide more effective by increasing the number of people in treatment. Maybe you are ignorant on the latter issue?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

you don't have to cater to anybody except your base, and anybody not based in a firmly Blue State has a decent chance of owning a gun.

I see, you need to cater to racism and homophobia. Or you need to define your base so that it includes people opposed to any gun control no matter what. Intriguing, intriguing.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The population of Detroit, Inkster, Southfield, etc. is on average extremely concerned about big government taking their guns.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

No? You need to define your base based on the message your party wants to have. If one of those messages isn't popular, though, like say "let's make it basically impossible to buy a gun," and you want to bend everyone's arm to have full deference to that message, then you'll be in trouble. Just like the Democrats are right now!

So this election was actually about gun control, and the majority of Americans own guns and love guns. Uh huh. You can take that foot out of your mouth any time now.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

do you know what it means to not do something versus doing the opposite of it? i'm just commenting on how ferociously it seems you defend the party orthodoxy on something that's not high on the list of problems for most people right now.

No you're not. You're lying about Democratic gun control policies, fetishizing firearms, and obsessing about hurting possible neoliberals but in an ineffectual way, like you couldn't just burn down your county Democratic office or something to get them urges out.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

i don't have or want to hurt any possible neoliberals on this. they lose their elections just fine on their own.

So you post for joy of hearing yourself talk? Not surprising.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

whatever the gently caress they have going on in new jersey

and that's all i'll say on the matter

In Joisey, if they catch you en flagrante delicto with a gun, it's criminal sexual conduct 3. Fash af.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I think you're misreading that, Perez does have that # of votes. The Ellison camp is, naturally, peeved.

I do not foresee the Democrats succeeding any time soon.

Ellison wouldn't have hacked Pelosi and Schumer to pieces with an axe either, nor would the Indiana mayor with the funny name. Sorry.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Does he? Or is he claiming that?

Given that he's an Obama/Clinton surrogate, and what happened with the superdelegates during the election, I'm not too ready to believe him.

Oh my loving god dude.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Democrats won't represent their REAL base, white Soylent-chugging tech workers who speak for the minorities, and until they do I'll be voting Trotskyist in every election.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My god, the Democrats might lose terminally whiny white men... Again!!!!

Clearly we are fteaking doomed.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes Keith Elllison is a noted panderer to white supremacists. I love th elogic of centrists. Its kind of why of the past five elections counting mid terms they have lost three.

Your narrative is out of date, Ellison is bad because he didn't grow crocodile jaws and bite Chuck Schumer's head off.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
SEIU are counter-revolutionary kulaks and labor aristocrats! Down with their Luxemberg-murdering marionette Perez! He's a farking tankie!!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Neither Perez nor Ellison has the guts to march the coastal elites of West Hollywood, the Castro, and Greenwich Village out to the killing fields. Vote Buttigieg for a real Year Zero!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

You have it backwards. Democrats' inability to play to any base other than wealthy urban professionals will continue to depress turnout against most of the country who are not that. Which is also why they lost the election in the first place, by chasing those votes. So I won't blame anyone who isn't doing fine in a white collar office job for not voting for them.

Shut up, Hillaryman entryist pigdog. Thy efforts to interrupt my Stirnerite Egoist Meditation Technique will avail thou naught, for Nihilist Communism shields me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

So you agree that the Dems' attempts to nickel and dime demographics into victories by portraying themselves as fiscal conservatives to court suburban Republican voters (as they tried in 2016) have failed miserably?

Your Bolshevik Hitleryistite efforts to dilute my raw hypersexual purity are as liberal as rejecting NAFTA for its imperial inclinations rather than its corruption of our precious bodily fluids with Canado-Mexican semen.

• Locked thread