Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm at the point that with guns, I'm not sure it's worth fighting.

Guns on their own don't cause any problems, they just make other problems worse by an order of magnitude.

I think we'd have better luck combating inner city violence without addressing guns than losing elections while getting sidetracked on guns.

"Sensible Gun Safety Laws" AKA Gun Control AKA Ban Guns is the shiny electrical socket that Democrats just can't seem to stop shoving their dicks into every couple years.

Dr Christmas posted:

Remember, Obama didn't make a peep about stricter gun regulations until the Sandy Hook shooting, which happened after the 2012 election.

Before that, NRA President Wayne LaPierre said the utter lack of gun control efforts was part of a "massive Obama conspiracy" to lure us into a false sense of security.

He didn't make much of a peep as president, but shortly before he was elected he had stated he was in favor of banning posession of all handguns, and most rifles. Mind you this was while he was in Chicago so that probably played well there, but it's not like his feelings were unknown on the topic before sandy hook. (source: http://www.ontheissues.org/2008_Dems_Philly.htm )

Someone pointed out that gun control is not one of the major issues for the DNC Chairperson election, but right now, on a left-leaning forum, we've just been sidetracked by gun control.

The Democratic party allowed a Reagan Republican (brady) to hang a nice albatross around their neck, and because in the eyes of many the party can Do No Wrong, nobody can admit it was a major mistake that's helped lead to countless lost elections and pointless disunity by defending it to the hilt.

It's depressing as gently caress to watch.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Alright, you got me there. That'll make him Satan incarnate automatically and I really should've considered that.

Ehhh, I'd analogize it to the Democratic perception of Republicans on abortion being completely untrustworthy (because they are). If the Republicans came to you tomorrow and said "hey this whole abortion thing, big whoopsie on our part, let's just move on," you wouldn't suddenly stop donating to the ACLU and Planned Parenthood because hey, it's totally over now. You'd wait to see if they repeal their restrictions in deep red states on their own, and then you'd wait a generation or two before you really started to believe they'd changed. Going straight on gun control for the first half of Obama's presidency while still banning scary-looking rifles in certain deep blue states isn't going to get anyone off your case. In their shoes you wouldn't either.

This is very accurate.

Derail aside, yes, the DNC chair does not specifically make policy apart from "how to build a network of people to help run campaigns", and Ellison is really good at that. I hope he wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Fulchrum posted:

Gun control is by a pretty sizeable margin the most popular thing Democrats do, with 93% of Americans in agreement about it. This is higher than the social safety net, a liveable minimum wage, minority rights, police reform, virtually everything. If you think gun control is a loser issue, loving every single other issue is too.

Young leftists scoff at Democrats not fighting hard enough on issues, but then you have leftists who will just start the conversation from "we need to give the NRA everything they want or they'll be mean to us. Ahh, screw the shooting victims, this is about getting elected". The hypocrisy is stunning.

This is disingenuous as gently caress. One sub issue, universa background checks Of Some Form (generally opening up NICS to the general public), has universal support. The actual plans that are put out, (generally requiring all sales go through an ffl with a substantial fee causing used items to be more expensive than new ones) do not get anywhere near that sypport, shockingly, and when you start delving into other issues, (awb, bans based on secret lists, handgun bans, etc) that support turns negative. You know this, and yet you still try to pass it off as "widely popular" for everything.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread