Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
- Grand Palace and Wat Pho
- Wat Arun (this was being repaired a few months ago, not sure if it's finished)
- Take a day trip to Ayutthaya, one of the ancient capitals of Thailand
- Jim Thompson's house
- Chatuchak markets (aka weekend markets)
- There's an aeroplane graveyard out in the eastern suburbs if you're interested in that. Google it for more details
- If you like WW2 history the train up to River Kwai Bridge is nice, and there's a good museum (though the bridge itself is horribly touristed)
- There's a market in the south-west which is basically built on train tracks, and every couple of hours the train rumbles through and everyone ducks out of the way. Forgotten the name, sorry!
- Lots of great shopping malls, my personal favourite is Terminal 21 but Siam Paragon is ultra-nice as well
- One street over from Khao San Road is Soi Rambuttri, it's quieter and has better food options. Less sleaze in front of a 14 y/o as well.

Not sure about an elephant sanctuary but I'm sure there's one around as they're common in Thailand. Just make sure it doesn't include elephant riding as it's a horrible practice. You can do short trips to the beach from BKK (it's inland but not too far from the sea), but I didn't do that as we'd been through a bunch of islands on the way to Bangkok. Just avoid Pattaya as it's the worst beach spot in Thailand (dirty, crowded, sleazy, sexpats).

Head on over to the SE Asia thread as well, there's a bunch of BKK goons who will have better recommendations than me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah you can do all that and if you enjoy it then more power to you. But frankly I couldn't be hosed doing that every time I wanted to go somewhere. As I've said, you just go to a road and flag down a cab then ask for the meter. The ones driving rather than waiting will almost always do meter rather than haggling and in my experience are honest.

Although that's just reminded me of a friend who arrived in BKK and immediately got suckered into a "free" tuk tuk ride. At the second suit shop he got his own back as his stomach was playing up, he used their bathroom and had absolutely rancid diarrhoea, which of course then wouldn't flush. Not the most popular tourist in Bangkok that day :laffo:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

GrabTaxi is the most common app I think. Uber is popular, dunno about Lyft.

Honestly though I didn't have great experiences with taxi apps in Bangkok, as most drivers would accept your pickup request, then call and ask you to cancel so they can dodge fees and stuff.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If you're going to use an ATM, withdraw a few days cash at a time, as all Thai ATMs now charge something stupid like 200 baht (about $6 USD) per withdrawal. That's on top of whatever your own bank charges you (it might be a flat fee plus a percentage commission).

• Locked thread