Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Ride a Tuk-Tuk or 10.

There's a cool 'car engine' market somewhere where there's like, engines loving everyyywhere, and people fixing them. If you're into that.

Some of the best rub-and-tug places in the world are in bangkok, or so they say. 14 is cool in asia. right? Definitely win points with him, dont know about the wife though. lol just kidding. (or am I?)

You absolutely have to get a Thai massage, even if it feels like your getting your rear end whooped. Make sure you get someone experienced doing it. Usually hot girl=bad.

Also a foot massage. Get these everyday, you're gonna be walking a lot.

beer: I like Chang, but some people disagree. Probably gonna want to drink at all times because its HOT. Also you're on vacation, live a little! Make mistakes! its Thailand, nothing bad can happen!

Watch out for scams. If your a beginner traveler or a beginner in Asia you might want to google "bangkok scams" and read, read, readdddddd

want a suit for $150(ish?) you can do it here! just ask any tuk-tuk driver and watch their face light up, lol.

shopping, do you like to shop? there's tons of markets and malls that will have anything you could imagine, at a price you cant imagine. Just be sure to haggle. Foreigners pay double unless you know what you're doing!

Food: Pad Thai, duh. But also try the noodle soups. I didn't eat at fancy places but they do exist, and are supposedly worth it. The street food is killer, though. try it all. Eat the bugs, too. They aren't as bad as they look!

Language. Learn how to say: Hello, Thank you, How much?, and TOILET. I also recommend carrying around a small little thing of tissues/TP in your back pocket. You can buy these nice little packs at any 7/11. 7/11's are everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If you didn't know.

Day 1 in Bangkok should look like this;

1. Get off plane
2. wait in line for visa on arrival
3. go to atm, withdraw Thai Baht
4. Taxi/train to hotel/hostel (hostels are way more fun, I don't care if you're married) (also; insist on meter. INSIST)
5. 7/11 to buy Loperamide* and poo poo loads of water bottles and snacks. (*please, please take my advice on this.)
6. Unpack and unwind from the long(?) flight. Dont plan on doing poo poo but relaxing/getting massages or walking around outside near the hotel. Bangkok can be intense, and everyone wants to jump right in. I recommend chilling out at first and dealing with the jetlag.
7. go to sleep early, wake up early!
8. Welcome to Bangkok!

but for real, get the Loperamide. Theres different bacteria or whatever in Asia and you will get a little sick at first, and maybe poo poo your pants. Loperamide will stop the pants making GBS threads. Also, the toilets are different, which is an adventure in itself! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Well I think riding Tuk Tuks is fun, personally. I've never gotten ripped off by one. I did go to a suit place once on a Tuk Tuk where I had to go in and pretend to be interested in buying a suit so the driver could get a gas card, but that ride was free and I only did it because one of the people I was with had never been on one before.

Don't let the possibly of getting scammed deter you, many Tuk Tuk drivers are honest. Just make sure the price is set before you get in.

I did get ripped off by a moto taxi in Bangkok, though. Definitely learned my lesson that time. Just don't let people take advantage of you. If they sense your naive or new to the region they'll all try to separate you from your money, its just the name of the game.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Tuk Tuks and taxis were always about the same price for me, mototaxis (the only choice when going alone) are cheaper.

The problem I have with with being on the meter is I never know if they're just driving me around in circles or going the long way to run up the cost. So when I take a taxi I like to set a price before I get in anyways. Before I ever get a taxi/tuk tuk/mototaxi I always have the price I want to pay in mind before I start looking. If I make a miscalculation and the price in my head is too low, I'll know after getting scoffed at by like 10 different taxi/tuk tuk drivers. Only then do I start offering more. After a while you start to get a feel for the real price and getting rides gets much quicker. Arranging a ride should take no more than 30 seconds imo. If your haggling longer than that then its time to walk away.

Mototaxis are always the way to go for speed/cost but are only viable when your alone.

Taxis have the AC advantage (most of the time) and Tuk Tuks have the advantage of being more exciting.

Its hard for me to give exact prices since the distance always varied, I've paid from 20 baht to 200 baht, but a typical short ride is around 40 if I recall. The Thai girls who worked at my hostel would always come outside and haggle in Thai if you were struggling.

Its all in the strategy. for instance, if I'm going from KSR to my hostel ill just go down to the end of the street where all the tuk-tuk and taxis are. show a driver the card with my hostels address, and let them give me a price. They always say like 300baht or something. Laugh in their face and go up to the next tuk tuk and do the same routine. The first one will get desperate and come at you with a more reasonable price. Rinse and repeat until you get a price your willing to pay. If theres a bunch of em all standing in a circle Dont be afraid to have fun with it. Do it auction style lol. If you don't have a goofy personality like me they might get mad, so tread lightly

On the flipside, if I already know the price (because the hostel workers got that price for me before) Ill just say "take me to blah blah blah 30 baht." If they don't say yes I simply move on to the next one. There's so many different drivers and it literally takes 10 seconds to ask.

Works great. smile and be polite, but show them that you mean business and aren't loving around. Be offended at their price, or be taken aback. Its hard to explain but After you stay in a country/region where you dont speak the language you get really good at using expressions to get a message across.

If that didn't make any sense then the best advice I can give is to just watch how locals engage with each other, and mimic them.

and if your only talking to 1 driver your doing it all wrong, you have options. The worst thing that can happen is they simply say No.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2017

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

webmeister posted:

Yeah you can do all that and if you enjoy it then more power to you. But frankly I couldn't be hosed doing that every time I wanted to go somewhere.

My favorite part of traveling is getting to know the local people any way I can, I really do enjoy it. It can definitely take time though. I had unlimited time and limited money, so negotiating made sense for me. If your on a week long trip or are in a hurry it absolutely does not make sense to hit up 10 different drivers to save 15 baht. But when your alone and the only thing you have planned for the week is to drink beer and wander around, haggling with Tuk Tuk can be a lot of fun.

Man Im starting to miss Bangkok

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Chales Schwabb has a card where they reimburse all ATM fees worldwide, it owns. Plus its so easy to link it the card to your actual bank account. Transfers take 3 days but its all doable through an app which is super convenient when traveling. Might only be for Americans though, i dunno.

• Locked thread