Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

railroad terror posted:

If one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble, I can't even imagine what ten days would do!
Someone in here mentioned staying on Sukhumvit, but I really don't think that would be too wise with a kid and wife in tow. Your choice. (But Sukhumvit does have a lot of good places to stay, that is certainly true.)

OP, if you can I would suggest bringing some cash and then converting it at one of the many money exchangers, to get a little bit better rate. (Usually wherever there is a bank, there is a money exchanger.) I forget the names. Bank of Siam is one (Purple) and then there is some kind of light blue bank.

ATMs are good too. I've never had an issue with my card (make sure to notify your bank ahead of time) but I do like having extra cash in case I need it.

For luggage, if you're staying at a place with later check in, get something you can actually carry. I use this, personally I don't like wheeled luggage.

On laundry you can usually find a laundromat near most major hotels/motels that will charge you on a baht/kg basis. This works a lot better than hotel laundry.

As has been mentioned there are lots of places to get a suit in Bangkok, usually they will want to see you about 3 times. (First measure, second measure/adjustments, final fit.)Try to stick with places with lots of reviews as there are also scams.

Learn how the bus system works for getting from Bangkok to regional areas if you want to save some money. (Take the air condition bus which is already pretty cheap and not the super cheap ones.)

Ayutthaya is definetly worth spending a day over there. If you go to the grand palace, you will need to wear long sleeves and pants or women will have to wear a dress if I remember correctly.

Haggle with the street vendors but don't do it too excessively.

Scams scams scams, learn a few of them. If something sounds too good to be true it probably is.

TukTuk, overrated and unsafe. I have had better luck with motorcycle taxis though. (Still not super safe when you're wearing shorts.)

Don't point your bare foot at people, and don't talk about the king or politics. Don't be "That Guy" that ends up getting thrown into Thai jail.

Getting a sim card for your phone. (Or even a cheapish burner phone) is well worth it. (MBK mall at National Stadium on BTS skytrain has a lot of selection.)

Use a cheap small camera, not a huge fancy DSLR. I brought mine and it was just un-necessary dead weight. I should have used something I could fit in my pocket.

Its going to be hot so, bring sandals and a short sleeved shirt. But you may want a few long sleeve shirts and pants.

There are some really awesome Sunday breakfast/lunch/brunch in Bangkok. My boss used to swear by the one at JW Marriott. Also some seafood place that had like everything. (You choose it they cook it.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread