Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Record your cover of any song with something about SPACE in the title: Mars, Stars, Space, Sun, Moon, Black Holes, Pluto, yes, EVEN URANUS.

Rules are simple: Record a cover. Post it.

If you have questions about a song title, it's simple: does the title have a planet, a galaxy, a noun that refers to space, anything like that? Fine then.

Need a list of songs about space?
http://bit.ly/2j5VvBS

Deadline: Juvember Eleventeenth.

Your choices for songs will be updated in this post, so people see what's what. We'll establish a real deadline soon. How does mid-Feb sound for errybody?

treasureplane posted:

Calling Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine."

Alternative pants posted:

Tentatively calling Supermassive Black Hole by Muse.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Calling Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine."

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tentatively calling Supermassive Black Hole by Muse.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMQza8xZCc

Here. Get inspired hippies.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got this done. Now to nitpick and mess with it until a day before the deadline and submit something totally different.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I've learned that if I call a song before I actually record it, I never end up being able to finish it.

That said, I'm calling "Walkin' on the Sun" by Smash Mouth, because I just spent the past three hours recording it. :v:

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Seconding the "not calling anything before recording anything" sentiment. Except I don't have anything at all yet. With some help, I've narrowed the list of potential covers down to three candidates (with three backups, so six candidates.) Hopefully by the time I've narrowed it down to one, it hasn't been called.

nh fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2017

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I will play Stardust by Hoagy Carmichael.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right maplesnacks.

CHILDREN OF THE SUN by Billy Thorpe. I realize none of you tweener millenials never heard of it, but that's fine. It's only the greatest song to hotbox in a Datsun 260z to.

Or something.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

All right maplesnacks.

CHILDREN OF THE SUN by Billy Thorpe. I realize none of you tweener millenials never heard of it, but that's fine. It's only the greatest song to hotbox in a Datsun 260z to.

Or something.

People of SA can you hear me?

E: It's a great hotboxing song.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Just purchased an Audiobox USB complete with the Artist Edition of Studio One!

...and now to go on a business trip for two weeks where I won't have access to a keyboard. If it's not one thing, it's something else.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Five hours of dicking around and I've discovered that Children Of The Sun can't be improved. It's just that great, and/or simple. Three chords and nonstop whining about aliens.

I'll be delighted to post the turd I polished when I get back to Mag7 Studios. It's quite astounding. Like, imagine if somebody bought a new keyboard and found the "weird space poo poo" setting, and then Chet on guitar said, "hang on bro I can noodle over that motherfucker" and the drummer, while riding out a xanax binge, found the drums.

Oh, it's astounding. It's huge.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
NO, YOU'RE WELCOME.
https://soundcloud.com/beauregard-hall/10-pounds-of-turd-in-a-20-pound-bag

OH those vocals. This is what you get when errybody is asleep and I gots to belt out the most amazingSHITPILE.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I probably won't do Considering the UFO Sighting Near Highland Illinois, but I might.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Been sketching some style ideas for Black Sun.

Trying to decide whether to go Americana: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-americana-excerpt

Or electro: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-electro-excerpt

These were thrown together quickly, so the playing is rough and they're basically unmixed with the exception of some reverbs that I wanted to use to emulate the character I'll be going for.

Americana's more straight forward, but faster and will likely end up punchier and more natural sounding because it'll be using mostly acoustic instruments. Acoustic instruments always means easy mixing, but also means I have to get all my arranging done in advance and have to practice my dick off. Electro's darker and is a more original interpretation, but slower. Using a lot of synthesizers always means lightning fast recording and arranging, but super a lengthy mixing process. I'm leaning towards the slower one because my brain is broken, but feel like either direction is going to be a nightmare.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I have a few ideas but I'll have to play around with which one will work the best before officially claiming a song. I need to get over this cold I've had for what seems like forever first.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Koivunen posted:

I have a few ideas but I'll have to play around with which one will work the best before officially claiming a song. I need to get over this cold I've had for what seems like forever first.

That's why I haven't finished mine, either, I just got over a cold that stuck around foreeeeever. Hopefully I'll be able to record some vox by the end of the week

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's no deadline yet.

Any suggestions? July 4th.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

End of February maybe? I think I'll have it done by then.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
omg can i do magic fly by S P A C E ?

all their songs gotta count, right?

plus if i play chords on my Mono/Poly in the video itll even make a little sense :regd09:

idk when ill be able to finish, might be a spring break project so how about we wrap this poo poo up by hitlers birthday and all jamm on 4/20 ? seems appropriate for the year america goes nazi :smugdon:

byob historian fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2017

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I down for this being due whenever. I just gotta mix when I can get back to my studio space.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
SUBS DUE MARCH 3.
Post on Soundcloud before that date.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Looking forward to another alt pants-mag 7 showdown.

edit: I still have some work to do on it, but I think it's finished enough where I can throw it down as a tentative submission: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-electro-full-scratch-w-test-vox

nh fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 10, 2017

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Very good submissions all around. I feel closer to the cosmos already.

I am having fun trying to record a song, but it is requiring a lot of technical troubleshooting.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/walking-on-the-sun

Here's this!

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/user-95178703/stardust

If I don't submit anything else, this is my entry. Feels good to figure out midi recording.

e: re-recorded the rushed introduction

e2: basically redid the whole thing

e3: final submission

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 9, 2017

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Supermassive poo poo Pile

Still not happy with this.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-death-cab-for-cutie-cover

This is my entry. All I have left is to fix the vocals and I'm not sure I care that much. If I do, I'll just be replacing the file in the Soundcloud post.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
We have five entries. At least it's not a face-off, but it'd be nice if we could get a couple more.

Calling treasureplane, Trig Discipline, Koivunen, and mrbradlymrmartin to the thread:

With your entries, we can make Rockstar GREAT AGAIN.

You have TWO DAYS.

BUTTS.

thx

p

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I'll probably have to wait until the next go-around., unfortunately. I'm currently dealing with a eustachian-tube-related issue that has basically shut off my left ear, so it's been difficult to do anything recording-related lately.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

treasureplane posted:

I'll probably have to wait until the next go-around., unfortunately. I'm currently dealing with a eustachian-tube-related issue that has basically shut off my left ear, so it's been difficult to do anything recording-related lately.

Condolences on your ear.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm actually moving to Japan in seven days so I ain't doing poo poo, sorry.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll finish off my Children of the Sun now that I've completely failed at RPM this year.

Or maybe I'll just do two more covers and submit them under fake names. Or all of that.

DEADLINE IS THIS SUNDAY THEN, and WE WILL POST THE POLL ON MONDAY MORNING. It will be amazing. It will be huge.

EDIT: I'll gather up all of the submissions and put them in the OP, so, if you submitted something and I got the wrong version, it's totally your fault not mine.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Just kinda thinking out loud.

Here are the ways I can identify to improve my entry.
1. Become a better pianist. What annoys me the most is that my playing seems to lag behind the beat, especially in my left hand.
2. Increase the dynamic contrast across the song (it's pretty flat dynamically right now). I blame my recording setup for this. I could try adjusting the keyboard sensitivity in my daw, adjusting the keyboard sensitivity in the keyboard's settings, or using a better midi keyboard.
3. Use a better piano vsti and better effects in my daw.

I'll try to improve the problems which can be solved without spending money. But even something as simple as "use a different free piano vsti" seems expensive to solve because I need to purchase the non-trial version of my daw to be able to use third party plugins. I could switch to one of the free daws like LMMS but those are limited in the vstis that work with them.

E: well now I fixed #3 and started to fix #1. Feels good.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 5, 2017

nh
Feb 2, 2003

blaise rascal posted:

I'll try to improve the problems which can be solved without spending money. But even something as simple as "use a different free piano vsti" seems expensive to solve because I need to purchase the non-trial version of my daw to be able to use third party plugins. I could switch to one of the free daws like LMMS but those are limited in the vstis that work with them.

I recently got a Keystation 88 to replace my old tattered Keystation 49 and it came with a key for the lite version of Ableton Live that I have no use for and should have all the functionality you need. I'll send it your way when I'm done pooping. I haven't used Ableton for anything but electronic work, mash-ups, and sample extraction so I have no idea what their native piano plug-ins sound like (assuming they have them), but they're probably decent.

edit: Sent you a message.

nh fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 2, 2017

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Supermassive Blue Hole
Final submission.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay fine, based on public demand, I'll extend the deadline to Wednesday or whenever I finish my turd, by wednesday.

There.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Here's, um, something I made for this round:

Rush - Cygnus X1

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012