Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I will play Stardust by Hoagy Carmichael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Just purchased an Audiobox USB complete with the Artist Edition of Studio One!

...and now to go on a business trip for two weeks where I won't have access to a keyboard. If it's not one thing, it's something else.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Very good submissions all around. I feel closer to the cosmos already.

I am having fun trying to record a song, but it is requiring a lot of technical troubleshooting.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/user-95178703/stardust

If I don't submit anything else, this is my entry. Feels good to figure out midi recording.

e: re-recorded the rushed introduction

e2: basically redid the whole thing

e3: final submission

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 9, 2017

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Just kinda thinking out loud.

Here are the ways I can identify to improve my entry.
1. Become a better pianist. What annoys me the most is that my playing seems to lag behind the beat, especially in my left hand.
2. Increase the dynamic contrast across the song (it's pretty flat dynamically right now). I blame my recording setup for this. I could try adjusting the keyboard sensitivity in my daw, adjusting the keyboard sensitivity in the keyboard's settings, or using a better midi keyboard.
3. Use a better piano vsti and better effects in my daw.

I'll try to improve the problems which can be solved without spending money. But even something as simple as "use a different free piano vsti" seems expensive to solve because I need to purchase the non-trial version of my daw to be able to use third party plugins. I could switch to one of the free daws like LMMS but those are limited in the vstis that work with them.

E: well now I fixed #3 and started to fix #1. Feels good.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 5, 2017

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Hawklad posted:

Here's, um, something I made for this round:

Rush - Cygnus X1
Thank god. Thank god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

Let's take this moment to appreciate the BADEFFINGASSNESS of space.

Footage from the Space Telescopes. just Incredible.

Not many people know this, but millions of years ago, space was discovered to be a billions of miles of space.

And you think space is boring? WELL there's aliens

The total weight of all of space comes out to be....zero. Because space is empty. That's why they call it "Emptyspace". Moron.

Wow... space. Is it mysterious? We may never really know

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 12, 2017

• Locked thread