Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nh
Feb 2, 2003
Seconding the "not calling anything before recording anything" sentiment. Except I don't have anything at all yet. With some help, I've narrowed the list of potential covers down to three candidates (with three backups, so six candidates.) Hopefully by the time I've narrowed it down to one, it hasn't been called.

nh fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Been sketching some style ideas for Black Sun.

Trying to decide whether to go Americana: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-americana-excerpt

Or electro: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-electro-excerpt

These were thrown together quickly, so the playing is rough and they're basically unmixed with the exception of some reverbs that I wanted to use to emulate the character I'll be going for.

Americana's more straight forward, but faster and will likely end up punchier and more natural sounding because it'll be using mostly acoustic instruments. Acoustic instruments always means easy mixing, but also means I have to get all my arranging done in advance and have to practice my dick off. Electro's darker and is a more original interpretation, but slower. Using a lot of synthesizers always means lightning fast recording and arranging, but super a lengthy mixing process. I'm leaning towards the slower one because my brain is broken, but feel like either direction is going to be a nightmare.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Looking forward to another alt pants-mag 7 showdown.

edit: I still have some work to do on it, but I think it's finished enough where I can throw it down as a tentative submission: https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-electro-full-scratch-w-test-vox

nh fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 10, 2017

nh
Feb 2, 2003
https://soundcloud.com/stepwisecliche/black-sun-death-cab-for-cutie-cover

This is my entry. All I have left is to fix the vocals and I'm not sure I care that much. If I do, I'll just be replacing the file in the Soundcloud post.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
We have five entries. At least it's not a face-off, but it'd be nice if we could get a couple more.

Calling treasureplane, Trig Discipline, Koivunen, and mrbradlymrmartin to the thread:

With your entries, we can make Rockstar GREAT AGAIN.

You have TWO DAYS.

BUTTS.

thx

p

nh
Feb 2, 2003

blaise rascal posted:

I'll try to improve the problems which can be solved without spending money. But even something as simple as "use a different free piano vsti" seems expensive to solve because I need to purchase the non-trial version of my daw to be able to use third party plugins. I could switch to one of the free daws like LMMS but those are limited in the vstis that work with them.

I recently got a Keystation 88 to replace my old tattered Keystation 49 and it came with a key for the lite version of Ableton Live that I have no use for and should have all the functionality you need. I'll send it your way when I'm done pooping. I haven't used Ableton for anything but electronic work, mash-ups, and sample extraction so I have no idea what their native piano plug-ins sound like (assuming they have them), but they're probably decent.

edit: Sent you a message.

nh fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 2, 2017

nh
Feb 2, 2003

Hawklad posted:

Here's, um, something I made for this round:

Rush - Cygnus X1

UNDER THE WIRE, now for mag7 to remember he has responsibilities.

nh
Feb 2, 2003

magnificent7 posted:

I never finished my magnum turdpus, so, everybody wins.

You have to finish your song.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
Happy birthday, mag7. My birthday was on Tuesday which means I'm still celebrating.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
I messaged a mod about stickying the vote thread. Maybe we can get St. Patrick's Day drunkvotes.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
GBS really is the loving worst.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
NMD is fine. We'd probably get the same turn out with more constructive feedback and fewer trolls.

When did GBS get like that? I've barely browsed GBS in the last five or six years, so when we started getting shitposts, I checked some of the other threads and holy poo poo, did FYAD spring a leak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nh
Feb 2, 2003
It's looking pretty close between Hawklad and Alt pants. Are you guys thinking about a new theme?

• Locked thread