Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I only realised I might have dyscalculia about two years ago when I took a job working with a lot of numbers. I'd always known I wasn't very good at math and had issues like you've described, deathbot, but it took a job where I was working with numbers and needing to perform math in my head that made me realise I simply couldn't do really basic calculations in a timely or efficient fashion. It was actually a really scary feeling and I felt horrible when I had to explain to my employer that I simply couldn't do the work.

For example, I also can't work with cash. I'm Australian, so we have those awesome notes, and that does help a lot, but it just doesn't stick in my mind. Like you, I neurotically check my balance. I can't hold even simple numbers in my head for even short amounts of time. I can't remember any phone number that isn't my own, and even then I double check. I'm horrible with dates (which made my time as a history teacher kind of difficult). The only date I can recall is my birthday - everything else, including my partner of six year's birthday, I have written down and would not have any idea if I didn't have that piece of paper. Transposing numbers is a big problem for me, particularly 4s and 7s. If I don't have a calculator, I'm probably unable to do any sort of math. I generally need to write everything down and hope I haven't messed something up between receiving the initial information in my head and writing it down on the paper.

My partner used to think I was just joking until she sat me down and attempted to teach me some basic math - fractions and such - and found that I simply couldn't do it. I did some work at a school and had to help Year 7 students with their math and realised I couldn't do that, either.

What I find very interesting is Thuryi's comment, though. I almost drowned when I was a young kid, too.

I also had to play piano when I was younger and could never, ever comprehend the scales. I know how to find middle c, but that's about it. I had a teacher for three years and, no matter what he tried, I still had no idea how to determine what key something was being played in.

I've also got no ability to judge distances in my head.

The best way I can describe dealing with numbers is like intense static in my head when I try to work with them. On the other hand, anything with words - English, history, media studies, drama - that's the stuff I excel at. I'd sweep through things like that with near perfect marks, and then struggle to avoid failing maths or sciences.

Anyways, that's my bit to throw into the thread. I'll keep watch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread