Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Have you been exposed to any other math subjects that seem easier or harder? Like in grade school you just get the types of math that seem to be the most difficult for dyscalculics (counting, arithmetic, geometry) while in university you can do things like boolian logic, and uhhh, weird knot theory stuff? I didn't go far in the weird math part of my schooling. Probably makes it stupidly hard if you have trouble with quantities/numerals even if the subject itself is something you could process.

Ever try learning another language? If so, how'd it go?

Have you had any problems with sexist comments? I think you mentioned that you are a woman if BFC and I wonder if you've had any issues.
I'm asking partially because I'm an engineer and had a lot of experiences in uni about how since I was "the girl" I should do all the writing... when in fact I had to take the uni's English literacy test ... and failed it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

deathbot posted:

I've avoided maths as much as possible since the minute I could drop it, so I have no exposure to higher level maths. Imagine me throwing up the sign of the cross and hissing "Back, devil!" at the sight of anything with numbers in it, and you've got about my attitude to getting near them. Unlike what I know of some American universities, most Australian universities assume you have a general knowledge from high school. There's no general, unrelated-to-your-degree first year courses you have to take, so I jumped right into English and History units and didn't touch a single maths or science course in my entire time there.

I can read middle English smoothly, and I've been meaning to pick up Latin. I have no head/tongue for accents (unrelated to dyscalculia, I'm just bad at it) but I have good recall of foreign words I've read as long as I don't have to learn a new alphabet.

I figured you'd have that response, to math in Uni, haha. I'm Canadian so I have no idea how university compares to either Australia or the United States, either. I remember reading an article a long time ago about someone who couldn't add/remember number like you, but could do high level math as long as it didn't involve numerals... but I could be greatly misremembering.

Neato on middle english. It always looks so cool but I haven't had the time to try to read any.
Ever do any courses in linguistics?

• Locked thread