Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

deathbot posted:

A great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If it's possible to do it seamlessly, I'll try and make the other person enter their own phone number into my phone, or have them text me. Otherwise I'll just do my best and make sure to repeat it back to them, slowly, in case I've hosed up. Which I do, a lot. Many a random company or person has received a call from me asking for a completely different business because I transposed a number.

I use email and websites, and avoid phone numbers, wherever possible.

For what it's worth you can look up a company through Google and copy and paste or directly click on their phone number for calls. That's generally my go to system for making calls to businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

deathbot posted:

I couldn't read or judge my own speed or the speed signs, I kept getting confused on which street was the right side, and how far I was from objects/the angles I was on.

Do you have a hard time judging distances at all, like telling if an object is close by or far away? I've never had much of a problem with estimating when I'll be able to safely pull into traffic, for example, even if I couldn't begin to guess how fast or how far away a given car in terms of numbers.

legsarerequired posted:

- Do you enjoy playing music or listening to music? I've heard that musical ability (keeping time, counting beats, etc) is sometimes linked to math, and a few parents online have said that music therapy helped their children manage dyscalculia. I do not have dyscalculia (despite definitely struggling with reversing numbers and basic computations) and have always found music theory/keeping rhythm very frustrating--I constantly lose track of where I am even with simple rhythms and I basically have to picture a game piece in my head moving up and down guitar tabs. I think this is part of why I struggle with memorizing music but it's the most effective way I know to do it since I'm not great at remembering rhythm or melodies, even after a year of guitar lessons. At this point it's more about forcing myself to be challenged than about any actual hope I'll become good at it.

I have a much milder case than deathbot, but I have a hard time with music. I can follow along songs that I know pretty well and I usually have music playing in my head, but heaven forbid you ask me to read musical notes. I can understand the theory of how they're supposed to work, and that higher symbols on the scale mean higher notes, but it all ends up looking like gibberish to me in practice. I tried to learn an instrument when I was younger, but I found sheet music absolutely incomprehensible and had to give it up because I was so far behind the rest of my class.

So I have basically the exact opposite problem as you, from the sounds of it.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 27, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does anyone else with dyscalculia have problems with sequences that combine both letters and numbers? I've been writing a lot of codes that combine both over the last few weeks, and while I consistently get sections with only letters correct, when letters are adjacent to numbers I mix them up about as often as I do numbers adjacent to numbers.

• Locked thread