Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I looked this up a while back and realized it described a lot of issues I have, but at this point have never felt the need to get tested to make it official. I have all sorts of trouble with basic math due to transposing numbers without noticing, but in school once I got past arithmetic and into algebra and whatnot as long as I was doing formulas with letters I had a lot less trouble oddly enough.

Mostly I just avoid math whenever possible -- I use my phone's calculator for even the most basic stuff and never try to do any mental calculation. At work I use excel or write everything down that I need to calculate so that I can check my work rigorously and since I have to double or triple-check everything it takes me a long time to do anything dealing with numbers and unfortunately I get stuck with a lot of light accounting. I can't handle being interrupted when I'm working on that kind of stuff either, there's no way I can go back to where I was and always have to start over from the beginning :negative:

I also have trouble with left and right -- I was giving someone directions and he kinda knew that the next turn was a left turn but asked me to verify, and I pointed directly at the road coming up on the left and said "yeah it's on the right" :cripes: Now I don't even try I just point, because generally I can point at the right direction even though something gets mixed up when I have to verbalize it. Spatial recognition is definitely an issue; I can't handle landmark directions at all. I can picture the individual landmarks but can't organize them in relationship to where I am or to each other. I can however read maps and am fine as long as I have street names, but I do get turned around very easily and cardinal directions are practically meaningless to me.

I think recognizing it as an actual disorder was helpful for learning to cope, I'd always just thought I was bad at math and kind of silly/airheaded about the other stuff but finding out that they're connected finally made things make sense and it was easier to learn how to manage and work around it. It also helps when I make an embarrassing mistake to have a way to explain it. I do wish I'd learned about it earlier in life, I think it would have helped a lot when I was in school to have had a diagnosis because my parents just thought I needed to study more and didn't understand why I could do things like have a perfect ACT score in English and have a math score that barely qualified for college.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

deathbot posted:

Well, for example, if I look at a clock I can see 1-4-5 and NOT notice I've skipped 2. But I have a much better sense if I look at the arrow and I go 'the arrow is pointing to this area.'
This definitely helps! I have trouble with analog clocks as well and looking at the hands makes more sense than looking at the numbers.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

turn off the TV posted:

Do you have a hard time judging distances at all, like telling if an object is close by or far away? I've never had much of a problem with estimating when I'll be able to safely pull into traffic, for example, even if I couldn't begin to guess how fast or how far away a given car in terms of numbers.

I'm a terrible judge of distance and size and am completely incapable of giving someone an estimate of how far away or how long something is, but I suspect most of my distance/speed judgement problems with driving are from being extremely nearsighted because my glasses jack up my depth perception . Possibly the two things are working together though, who knows lol. I annoy my passengers when people ride with me because I refuse to pull out in front of oncoming cars if I don't have a good feel for how far away/how fast they're coming so I miss opportunities that they can see. It helps if I let a few cars go by first though, and I see no reason to be unsafe so I don't mind waiting!

As for music I was in band all the way through middle & high school and into college so I had to memorize music, learn marching routines, etc. I've heard that stuff is helpful but I dunno if it was giving me any benefit, I never really saw a translation to being better at the stuff I had trouble with but maybe it kept it from being worse?

• Locked thread