Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What is the maths form of dyslexia?
It's called dyscalculia, and it works similarly. You swap numbers, you get them wrong, you occasionally do 2+2=5 without any interrogation being involved. Depending on the severity of your condition, it can screw with a lot more, from telling left and right apart, forgetting the orders of the months and getting your own age wrong for over a month. It's also known as mathematical disorder, and it's far less known than dyslexia. It's not even in chrome's spellcheck, the bastards.

Wait, what’s that about your age?
Yep, I thought I was a year younger than I was for over a month until my mother realised it and corrected me. I’m one of the most severe cases you can get!

I’m bad at maths! Do I have dyscalculia?
No clue! I’m not a qualified professional. But if my answers sound familiar, and you find your inability to maths is interfering with some bit of your life, go get tested! At worst you will be told you are completely normal, and what goon doesn’t desire that once in life?

If people with this or other forms of dyslexia want to pitch in for the education of the masses and/or commiseration, I think that’d be a great!

Ask away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Thuryl posted:

What kind of therapy or treatment is available for this, and has it helped you much?

For dyscalculia, I haven't heard of many treatments available over here or abroad since it tends to be shoved to the side for dyslexia. I was lucky just to stumble into an which picked up on it while undergoing other testing. Unfortunately, there's no medication or magic cure, but tutoring can help a little in drilling some of the concepts in. I had tutoring every year prediagnosis just to try and get me through school, and although it didn't help very much, I'm able to use basic mathematical terms and understand them in the broadest sense. I can tell you what a minus sign is, etc., I just can't use them properly.

However, with me personally that's about my limit. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but the closest way for how I see numbers is I show you these two squares:

❏ ❏

And then I tell you one of these is a triangle. You go: "Uh, they're loving squares, mate."

But I'm definite one of those is a triangle, and I describe to you a triangle and a square. I show you pictures of triangles, and discuss the long history of triangles, and possibly the symbolic impact of triangles in art. In the end, you understand what a triangle is and how it functions, but you still see two identical squares. That's me. All numbers are interchangeable and meaningless squares in my head, so sometimes I'll get it right and sometimes I'll get it wrong when I try to use numbers because I can never quite work out what symbols I'm meant to be seeing and using.

Especially 6 and 9, and 3 and 8. Those are especially bad and easy to reverse for me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Per posted:

If you see seven apples on a kitchen counter, can you count them?

What about roman numerals, can you deal with them?

You mentioned in the BFC thread that you have a history degree. How do you deal with all the years and dates there?

1) I can try, and most of the time I'll get it right, but sometimes I'll get it wrong. The more items there are the harder it is. I don't really get two wrong when it comes to counting physical items, but once you get above five there's the risk I'll start skipping or reversing numbers.
2) Roman numerals work the same, as do foreign numerals. It's easier for me to write numbers than digits: I read two better than 2.
3)

It was a bit messy in the first year, as it took me a couple of semesters to master the methods I'd need to deal with it. A lot of it was just proofreading over and over again to spot any obvious mistakes. I avoided any courses which relied on quizzes or multiple choice, and instead focused on those which used essays for assessments. This let me rely on my understanding of essay structures and thoroughness over my ability to regurgitate on-the-spot timelines.

I may end up telling you a war started in the year 30000, or get the date wrong, but to make sure that I could prove I knew what I was talking about I was careful to describe both the event itself and the circumstances preceding it or following, even if sometimes it read as padding, which generally cancelled out any lost marks. In a straight quiz of 'Give the date of this event' I'm hopeless, but I can do 'Describe what happened in this event and the causes.'

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanks for making this thread! I hope I don't get too personal. Please feel free to ignore any question you don't want to answer.

I always assumed that even without this abstract naming system, if I gave someone who couldn't count ten apples and then they ate a few, they can still know how many are left. If I take a few away, you'd realise some where missing.

My question is, can you differentiate between amounts visually? Can you differentiate between something that is heavy and something that is large? Have you ever seen this experiment called conservation task: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o?

I have trouble with differentiating 69 from 96, especially in larger numbers (369 vs 396) but that's because I think I have reading dyslexia. Can you read them though either out loud or in your head? Can you recognise the "6" shape character as equaling the name "six"?

This might be a weird question but when you read a book, do you hear words or do you see words? This is in regards to sub-vocalisation. How fast are you at reading?

How do people react when they find out about your condition? (Do they ask a heap of questions like me?)

Thanks!

Ask everything you want! That's why I made it.

1) I can visually differentiate between large and heavy, and a lot of items versus a small amount of items. However, anything that relates to translating visual information into spatial reasoning in my head is a lot more difficult. I walk to 'The building down the road', but I can't properly estimate the length of distance between myself and the building. I actually can't read maps at all, because I can't translate the 2D images to a 3D understanding in my head. If you look at a map and want to be able to use it, you have to be able to get a sense of the proportions of the buildings and your own position, but I can't place myself or analyse the length of the street or count the buildings.

This also applies to video games, and I loathe any game with a minimap or a map which doesn't have a dot representing where you are and arrows pointing in the right direction. I can't use directions like "in three streets, turn left," so for using GPS, I just follow the arrow to my destination and I'm never actually looking at the map itself: Arrow says go this way, I walk that way until it moves again.

2) I understand the concepts of the numbers in the vaguest sense. It's similar to being able to see a foreign script and recognise 'That's Chinese!' without being able to actually read it. So, if you pointed at the number 6 and said 'Read this,' I might read it right, or I might say 8, since they're basically identical symbols to me... Sorry if this isn't a useful answer, it's a difficult concept to try and communicate. A bit like a colour blind person discussing purple, I imagine?

3) I sight-read rather than read the voices in my head. My condition is laser-targeted directly into numeracy and spatial reasoning, and I'm above-average in all literacy and articulation in everything that doesn't involve numbers. I'm actually an incredibly fast and accurate reader, and I can easily burn through a long book in a small amount of time. Reading's a good hobby of mine!

4) I try to avoid discussing it whenever possible in real life, because a lot of people go from 'politely interested' - which I don't mind at all!- right into 'Starting to talk really slowly and use small words, and otherwise acting as though I just admitted to being two toddlers stacked up in a coat.' I also face being dismissed a lot, since I present as otherwise neurotypical, with lots of accusations of not trying hard enough or just being lazy, or exaggerating my condition and difficulties. However, my friends do know, and I don't mind talking about it so much online where I can just call people motherfuckers and be impolite!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

MettleRamiel posted:

How do you go buy things? What I mean is, how do you know that you have enough money or what to hand the cashier?

How do you handle things like your personal budget? Just something simple like looking for an apartment you can afford sounds impossible with your diagnosis.

Have you ever had to negotiate a wage and if so, how do you do it?

I use a card for everything about $5, and this prevents me from handing over the wrong amount of cash. Before I worked purely with cards, especially as a teenager, I did get ripped off a bit by more than one person and made some taxi drivers very happy.

I rely a lot on familiarity and auto-deductions/benefits for all my bills, so instead of knowing I have $5 for a doughnut, I know I can buy a doughnut on this day because I buy one every week. Since everything is electronically done, I get emails on certain days reminding me that a bill is being paid, or that I have a payday so I can at least check and make sure it's functioning normally. Any unexpected costs do gently caress with my day to day life immensely since I rely so much on habit, and if I'm buying anything I don't usually buy it's a bit of a hassle. I'll neurotically and constantly check my balance between purchases because I can't track in my head how much I have spent/how much I have left. I don't keep a proper budget because my attempts at doing so failed pretty much out the gate.

I haven't had to negotiate a wage. If I do in the future, I'll likely go to a financial adviser and try to get all the paperwork done with them/work out what my wage should be/etc. based on the market so that I can rely on something written by someone else.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanks for answering.

What are your favorite books? Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books?

I've read Snow Crash by him. Lemme see. My favourite books that I read in 2016 would be:

For fantasy, it's a toss up. N. K. Jemisin's Fifth Season duo are books so very depressing that I had to put them down at times, make myself a cup of tea and shout "Come the gently caress on!" at my cats gently before resuming. It's a long series of gut punches, and if you like examinations of institutional racism and abuse, child abuse and murder, holocausts, oppression, discrimination and misery under a thin facade of well-written fantasy, it's definitely a ride. For non-misery fantasy, I like all of Catherynne M. Valente's books that I've read except for Palimpset. That one was self-indulgent to the point of boredom: Pretty imagery is nice, but it needs substance! Her YA fairyland series is good for all ages, she's got the writing chops and turn of phrases to make it enjoyable on a lot of levels, and I've really been digging Radiance.

The long way to a small, angry planet by Becky Chambers was probably my favourite soft sci-fi book of the year, with some imaginative aliens and a proper adventure romp across the galaxy. I think I described it to a friend as similar to Firefly, only without Joss Whedon's women issues and foot fetishes? Ann Leckie's Ancillary series would be the runner up with the way it challenges pronoun norms and gender identity, but it's a lot meatier and cerebral. I read the Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee and The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu, but both contained enough hard science/maths that I couldn't properly enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

I didn't read much horror in 2016 but 'In the Miso Soup' by Ryu Murakami is an older favourite, and it's one of those rare books capable of building a creepy atmosphere and horror tone without resorting to cheap tricks. Non-fiction is Mary Roach's Spook book, since I enjoy a good educational comedy.

Honestly I could go on all day about books.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Whitlam posted:

Could I ask about what the testing is like...

I know the feeling about that! My mother's a medical coder, so all she does is input numbers all day long. That sounds very familiar to what I have, especially the credit card numbers.

Mine took about five or six hours, and it was a full day long neuropsychological test, but don't be intimidated by that. They gave me a lunch break in the middle. They tested everything from attention span via clickers and computer programs (click here when you see this, those type of activities), reciting word lists, completing mazes, weird logic puzzles, do you know the meaning of this word, can you tell these symbols/colours apart, etc. A lot of it you'll likely recognise from school tasks: Completing mazes, attempting basic english and maths work, can you remember these facts after five minutes?

Imagine a semester's worth of school exams shoved into one day. On top of that, they were judging my psychological state and how I reacted to the puzzles, how long my attention span and patience lasted, my fatigue, etc. A little, but it was mostly as part of my mental functioning. All up it worked out my dyscalculia to a tee and the co-morbid problems, gave me a full set of official documents explaining my condition and a formal diagnosis. It picks out ADHD and other conditions, too, if you have them.

To make it cheaper, I did it as part of a student training program on the side of the neuropyschs, so see if your local universities have that option. The senior students need someone to test to be examined, and you like spending less money! It's the 'letting a hairdresser trainee do the work' of psychological trauma, and they're supervised by a fully qualified professional the entire time, so it's just a discount on the process.

Subhu Man posted:

I am a fan of word puzzles and word games, note I say fan rather than any good at.

As you are good at written comprehension do you have an easier time spotting the problem with

one two three five six seven eight nine

than

1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9

for example?

A little better, but tbh I had to count on my fingers to work out the problem with your list because it looked fine when I read it, so still not exactly winning.

Boksi posted:

So you're bad at numeracy and mathematical operations, but what about logic? Stuff like: "You have three groups, X Y and Z. Group Y contains all things in Group X that aren't in Group Z. All things in Group Z are in Group X. What does Group X contain?" There were some fancy methods and terminology to write this stuff but I don't remember it and all it did was add to my confusion anyway.

Logic's mostly fine as long as it doesn't rely on 'There's seven thousand dogs in this paddock.' I can do word riddles, the sheep/wolf eating puzzle, and I even actually did fine on some of the logical parts of economic theory in highschool. However, if the end result is working out how much there is of something, or how much is left of something, or anything like that, there's a good chance I'll get the logic right but the answer wrong. I'll follow the steps but fail to make it to the end as I start to forget what amounts I'm dealing with.

Per posted:

Maybe I've missed it, but do you drive? Would you be allowed to if you wanted to? (I'm thinking of all the numbers on signs, like speed limits).

There was no official "THIS WOMAN MUST NEVER BE ALLOWED TO DRIVE!" But when I tried to learn with a professional learner agency, it went, well, poorly. I couldn't read or judge my own speed or the speed signs, I kept getting confused on which street was the right side, and how far I was from objects/the angles I was on. So after a few lessons of disasters I decided to save a life (possibly my own) and swap to public transport. I really wish I could drive, but it's just too dangerous.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I understand the concept, but there's a chance I'll mishear the numbers involved. So you might say 'Pick up a 6-pack,' but by the time I reach the store what I remember is 'Pick up a 12-pack.' You'll get your beer, but in the wrong pack!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Do you know anything about the neuroscience behind this phenomenon? You having problem with spatial thinking/distances and numbers suggest that these two things rely on the same mechanisms in the brain, right?

It reminds me of how kids are usually thought numbers and addition/subtraction on a number line first.

I'm afraid I don't, and I wish I did! I'm not familiar with the neuroscience field, and I never really stumble across it in the media or news. I admit sometimes I still hope a scientist will kick in the door and go: "We fixed it! Take this pill and learn your timetables!"

If anyone is familiar, chime in and I will appreciate it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

God Over Djinn posted:

Could you say more about what methods and exercises have helped you learn (even a little bit of) math in the past, if any? I'm curious because I'm a teacher and I've had a student with dyscalculia before - it seemed much more mild than yours, but I still always wondered if I was working with her in a way that helped her.

I'll try my best! Focusing on the theories first worked better with me, because I couldn't learn easily via examples. The method of say how thing works briefly > give examples to underline didn't work, because I couldn't follow the examples. The most successful teacher I had tried to avoid numbers as much as possible and instead focused on logic as the base work. Without her, I wouldn't have any grasp whatsoever because by the time I hit high school it was firmly in the case of briefly explain thing > do a bunch of worksheets. For example, with teaching how to read an analogue clock, focusing on what the arrows represented rather than what numbers they were pointing to, and even using a numberless clock so I'd get the feel of 'which direction they're pointing' to start with rather than 'this is the number they're pointing at.'

Well, for example, if I look at a clock I can see 1-4-5 and NOT notice I've skipped 2. But I have a much better sense if I look at the arrow and I go 'the arrow is pointing to this area.'

Although I'm not sure if that's any help. I had a lot of schooling problems because maths teachers thought I was lazy and unmotivated, or stupid, especially as I failed every maths class from year 3 onwards, and with tutoring I was just taught the same things over and over again at a much slower pace until theory lodged in my head. So, if you can, try to make sure they realize they're not idiots if they can't keep up with the rest of the class or by the end of highschool it's likely they'll skip constantly and never even try. cough.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Suspicious Lump posted:

Same author but this looks to be a scientific review article:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-0017.00154/pdf

Not sure if the above link is accessible if you're outside of a university.

deathbot: Let me know if you want to read the above article but can't

I can't read it, alas! My university apparently isn't with them.

PT6A posted:

Could you do a Sudoku if, instead of using numbers 1-9, it used letters A-I, or any set of symbols that aren't numbers?

twodot posted:

I'm curious about the answer to this, and if you a Windows computer, Microsoft Sudoku is free and has symbol Sudoku:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/microsoft-sudoku/9wzdncrfhv60
(Personally I find symbol Sudoku much more annoying than with numbers, since it's much more difficult to know what symbols are missing from an area.)

I played a little bit of the symbol Sudoku. It was definitely easier than the number version (in that I wasn't immediately incapable of doing it) but I wasn't very good at it! IDK if that's dyscalculia, or me just sucking at sudoku.

married but discreet posted:

Do you have trouble reading single letters? For example, O, G, g, I, b, Z, they all look like numbers.

Nope, I have zero trouble with any letters and I'm well above average in reading. They don't look or feel like numbers at all to me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Scudworth posted:

You need to add someone's phone number into your phone or make a call to a new number. What happens in this situation?

A great wailing and gnashing of teeth.

If it's possible to do it seamlessly, I'll try and make the other person enter their own phone number into my phone, or have them text me. Otherwise I'll just do my best and make sure to repeat it back to them, slowly, in case I've hosed up. Which I do, a lot. Many a random company or person has received a call from me asking for a completely different business because I transposed a number.

I use email and websites, and avoid phone numbers, wherever possible.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Jyrraeth posted:

Have you been exposed to any other math subjects that seem easier or harder? Like in grade school you just get the types of math that seem to be the most difficult for dyscalculics (counting, arithmetic, geometry) while in university you can do things like boolian logic, and uhhh, weird knot theory stuff? I didn't go far in the weird math part of my schooling. Probably makes it stupidly hard if you have trouble with quantities/numerals even if the subject itself is something you could process.

Ever try learning another language? If so, how'd it go?

Have you had any problems with sexist comments? I think you mentioned that you are a woman if BFC and I wonder if you've had any issues.
I'm asking partially because I'm an engineer and had a lot of experiences in uni about how since I was "the girl" I should do all the writing... when in fact I had to take the uni's English literacy test ... and failed it once.

I've avoided maths as much as possible since the minute I could drop it, so I have no exposure to higher level maths. Imagine me throwing up the sign of the cross and hissing "Back, devil!" at the sight of anything with numbers in it, and you've got about my attitude to getting near them. Unlike what I know of some American universities, most Australian universities assume you have a general knowledge from high school. There's no general, unrelated-to-your-degree first year courses you have to take, so I jumped right into English and History units and didn't touch a single maths or science course in my entire time there.

I think we've all faced sexist comments! But yeah, if I don't explain and I struggle with something around guys, I have had people go "Oh right, you're a GIRL," to explain to themselves why I can't do the task, or reassuring me that women are just bad at maths naturally, etc.

I can read middle English smoothly, and I've been meaning to pick up Latin. I have no head/tongue for accents (unrelated to dyscalculia, I'm just bad at it) but I have good recall of foreign words I've read as long as I don't have to learn a new alphabet.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Can you elaborate on how you mix up left and right? I can't really imagine what it's like. Do you look on the right side and mistakenly think it's the left? What happens, if someone asks you to raise your right hand?

They're just the same to me. Mostly I raise the right hand, but that's because I'm raising my dominant hand, not because I recognise it as my right. If you asked me to point, plenty of times I've pointed the wrong way to turn on a street towards a home I've lived in for five+ years. Left and right are just easily muddled for me!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

man in the eyeball hat posted:

How are you at video games? I'm guessing FPS and platformers are a no go

For platformers, I'm not ~expert~ and there are certain platformers I struggle with, but most don't require me to really translate 2d to 3d so they're easier to judge than IRL judging. I wouldn't play on ultra-hard mode but unless they're designed to be super hardcore, I manage. I just don't prefer them.

The only FPS I've played is the borderlands series and I just run around blowing things up with hacked-in purple weapons for kicks, so N/A.

My preference is towards visual novels, turn-based RPGs and action games. For MMORPGs, I play FFXIV, and for the most part I do okay! There are mechanics I can't do properly, for example a boss called Sophia has a mechanic where you have to count to work out which direction to run, but I just rely on groupthink for those moments, and I play classes that are flexible rather than having a strict rotation. I'm not a hardxcore raider, but I've cleared extremes on release. If I play a puzzle game and I hit a number puzzle, I just check the guides.

My favourite games are Odin Sphere, ICO, Digital Devil Saga, Bastion, FFXIV and Dragon Age: gently caress that Solas guy.

One game I couldn't play is the final fantasy series with Lightning. I tried the first game, but it was nothing but numbers flying everywhere and I couldn't work out how much damage I was doing, etc.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ancillary Character posted:

I've never been to AUS or handled money from there, but according to Wikipedia, the banknotes for AUS money are different sizes, colors, and have different historical figures for different denominations. Usually stuff like this is done to help out people with impaired vision to differentiate their cash on hand. Is it helpful for you to take advantage of those traits and think of money not as five dollars or hundred dollars, but "the purple bill", "the green bill", "the one with the Queen's face on it", etc and then to order them that way? It looks like the size of each bill increases with increasing denominations, so could you use that as a guide to help you not make major mistakes giving or accepting change? Like you wouldn't give/get a bill that's physically larger than the one you were accepted/gave out? Or does your dyscalculia even prevent you from seeing cash in these more abstract ways?

It does help a lot! I went to America last year, and the identical money completely ruined me what with having to give tips. But if I buy something worth say, $15 and they say $20, or I think it's $20, I'll just hand over a $20 without realising I've made a mistake. In those cases, it's not that I didn't recognise the rainbow, it's just that I'm giving the number I THINK it is rather than what it actually is.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

MF_James posted:

US Currency has different presidents on them depending on which denomination they are, everything from pennies (lincoln) to 100 dollar bills (Ben Franklin)

It's not nearly as helpful as for working it out quickly, especially in dim lighting or by feel. Plus, ours is water proof!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
See, at least some of ours are easy to tell apart! It's easy to tell the difference between a platypus and a human being, for example.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

dirby posted:

Have you (or anyone else with similar issues) every tried those number games designed to help people with Dyscalculia, like The Number Race and the harder Number Catcher?

I've never even heard of them! I'll try them out.

Jyrraeth posted:

I figured you'd have that response, to math in Uni, haha. I'm Canadian so I have no idea how university compares to either Australia or the United States, either. I remember reading an article a long time ago about someone who couldn't add/remember number like you, but could do high level math as long as it didn't involve numerals... but I could be greatly misremembering.

Neato on middle english. It always looks so cool but I haven't had the time to try to read any.
Ever do any courses in linguistics?

It's possible you read an article like that, since dyscalculia covers a gigantic spectrum of issues!

I did a grammar unit for English lit! The teacher wasn't... great... But I didn't have any problems, and came away with one of the highest marks in the class. I shouldn't have a problem with languages, since I did okay in the little Latin I had and I can handle English variations well enough, but I have an odd accent. I've lived in Sydney all my life, but people constantly ask me where I'm from??? It's something to do with my mother raising me with a heavy kiwi accent.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

legsarerequired posted:

Thank you so much for creating this thread!

- Do you have personal experience with face-blindness?
- Do you enjoy playing music or listening to music? I've heard that musical ability (keeping time, counting beats, etc) is sometimes linked to math, and a few parents online have said that music therapy helped their children manage dyscalculia. I do not have dyscalculia (despite definitely struggling with reversing numbers and basic computations) and have always found music theory/keeping rhythm very frustrating--I constantly lose track of where I am even with simple rhythms and I basically have to picture a game piece in my head moving up and down guitar tabs. I think this is part of why I struggle with memorizing music but it's the most effective way I know to do it since I'm not great at remembering rhythm or melodies, even after a year of guitar lessons. At this point it's more about forcing myself to be challenged than about any actual hope I'll become good at it.

Nope, no experience with face-blindness. I love listening to music, and warbling along, and rhythm games too - but I am AWFUL at keeping a beat and will easily go off-beat or lose my count.

turn off the TV posted:

Do you have a hard time judging distances at all, like telling if an object is close by or far away? I've never had much of a problem with estimating when I'll be able to safely pull into traffic, for example, even if I couldn't begin to guess how fast or how far away a given car in terms of numbers.

Yes, I'm a bad judge of distance. It's not impossible for me, but I'm slow at it and sometimes get it wrong in telling how far/close things are - especially moving objects like cars. If I'm looking at a map or something says 'in 500 meters,' I have no ability to estimate how long/far 500 meters is.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

nielsm posted:

Do you deal differently with symbols depending on whether you recognize them as numbers or not?

E.g. if I tell you 百 means 'cat' and 千 means 'horse', are they easy to tell apart? Does it make a difference if I then tell you they actually mean respectively 'hundred' and 'thousand'?

I can tell the difference between the symbols, however I wouldn't be able to keep the associations clear in my head! I wouldn't be able to keep the 'hundred' and the 'thousand' attached to the right symbols, or in the right order.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Thanks for doing this, really enlightening + interesting!

A few more questions:

How do you do with relationships between concepts like eg grandparent - parent - child, or cousin/niece/aunt? It seems like these sorts of semi hierarchical relationships are a bit like quantities maybe but I dunno?

Are qualitative descriptions of quantities useful? For example, if you just had a bank app which said "you're spending more than usual, but it's ok to keep spending some" or "you're spending way too much, slow it down" or similar statements, would that be intelligible/useful?

Are numbers hard even if they aren't being used as numbers/indications of quantity? Some potential examples:
- band names like death from above 1989, two doors down, third eye blind, where it's more part of a proper name than really a number
- fifty caliber rifle, .22 rifle (maybe doesn't work if you grew up in Australia ie not around guns)
- idioms like "two is company, three is a crowd" where the specific numbers don't really give the meaning so much as the phrase as a whole

No problems with the conceptual relationships there! If you ask me to count from one person up their ancestry to a certain point, I'll probably end up at the wrong relative, but I have no issues understanding relationships and concepts.

Yep, those would be intelligent/useful. It's raw data that trips me up: I can understand if I'm spending too much, but if I look at a bank statement I might not be able to understand how much, or my repayment details. God do I love online banking, let me tell you, because I would have been hosed in the paper days. Now I just let auto-payments take care of everything and don't have to try and remember dates or write down numbers.

If you asked me to google those bands, I know who third eye blind is, but I might type two eye blind without realising I've done the wrong number.

I'm too Australian for that, since I have no knowledge of guns so even without the numbers involved.

Yep, I understand the idioms! If it relies on understanding a concept that isn't at all mathematical (emotions, situations, etc.) I have zero issues. I might just muddle up saying it, or writing it down. Hilariously this sometimes applies to lyrics. Incredibly nerdy example: Steven Universe has a song called "Stronger than you," with the line "Let's go, just one on two." Sometimes I sing it right, and sometimes I reverse the lyrics and say "Let's go, just two on one."

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Super interesting, thank you for the answers! Not a question, but if you're using cards to make purchases you might like the app Mint -- you'd probably have to have someone help set it up initially with budgets for different categories etc, but once you've set it up it can automatically track spending and give you color/graph-based representations of how well you are doing with the budget.

Actually, I guess that's another question: do you have issues with graphs as well? Like, if you saw a bar graph and one column was larger than the other, would you be able to tell? E.g. on this little lovely bar graph I made below, is it easy for you to tell that red is larger than blue?

red |============================

blue |============

Was curious because it sounded like some of the issues you had w/ directions -- e.g. judging distances, translating sizes of shapes, could apply to this as well?

I can tell one is longer than the other, but I struggle to tell by how much. I can't really estimate whether that's a half or a quarter more than the other one. As for actually reading graphs, I'm really, really bad at it. Fun fact: I enjoy art, but I consistently draw very long rectangles instead of cubes because I can't measure the side lengths properly.

nielsm posted:

Related to this, are there different "grades" of dyscalculia? E.g. grading by how large a difference you need between two quantities to be able to reliably tell there is a significant difference.

Also, not sure if someone else already asked this, but if you have an itemized list, is it easier for you to follow if points are given as A, B, C rather than as 1, 2, 3?

There are! I'm not sure of the grading system in its entirety, but checking my medical documentations, I have superior verbal intellectual skills, average to above average in some others, and then really jesus loving christ poor in maths and maths related subjects. Not everyone has it to the same extent, and it's on a spectrum. (Actual number of mine is 1.3% of the normative population. I am literally in the bottom percent.)

Alphabetised lists are much easier than itemised lists. I'm less likely to skip letters or make mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Hate Fibration posted:

As someone who is going to be working in mathematics education for the foreseeable future, what are signs to watch out for if i suspect someone has dyscalculia?

Consistent mistakes I made in class:

- Basic concepts don't seem to stick even when the student is obviously listening/trying, and they can't memorise formula or even basic timetables. For example, I would get taught one thing, seem to grasp it, and the next day be completely incapable of doing it and need to be taught again.
- Mistakes based in number swapping. Jumbled numbers repeatedly, or they seem to get the right numbers but in the wrong order even when otherwise successfully following a formula.
- Reads the signs wrong, for example dividing in a problem which has a minus symbol instead.
- Working much slower than the rest of the class.

Also, depending on where you're at, you may need to deal with the student's different methods of covering up the above problems. By the time I hit late high school without being diagnosed, I would do anything to avoid actually working in maths class and would rather have been seen as lazy/not trying than admitting I couldn't keep up or understand a thing. If a student is otherwise some level of dutiful in other classes, but completely shuts down in maths-based classes and refuses to do group work, or any work, or shows extreme levels of stress, or otherwise behaves oddly but only in those types of classes, maybe take them aside and check for the above.

Oh, and if the words "You're being lazy," "You need to try harder and study more," "You're not paying enough attention," "She's a smart student who needs to apply herself more," or the like come out of your mouth, I will find you, I will print out 100 copies of this A/T thread, and then I will hit you with them. I'm sure you won't, given you're actually asking, but I learned very early on not to try and discuss my issues with teachers because every time I did it in late primary/early high school, when they were becoming more and more obvious as I went from 'bad' to 'completely incapable of doing any of the work,' I would get dismissed with something along the lines of the above, and I ended up convinced I was actually just an idiot instead of anyone testing me for the problem. It's a mistake I don't want anyone else to suffer through.

• Locked thread