Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Thanks for doing this, really enlightening + interesting!

A few more questions:

How do you do with relationships between concepts like eg grandparent - parent - child, or cousin/niece/aunt? It seems like these sorts of semi hierarchical relationships are a bit like quantities maybe but I dunno?

Are qualitative descriptions of quantities useful? For example, if you just had a bank app which said "you're spending more than usual, but it's ok to keep spending some" or "you're spending way too much, slow it down" or similar statements, would that be intelligible/useful?

Are numbers hard even if they aren't being used as numbers/indications of quantity? Some potential examples:
- band names like death from above 1989, two doors down, third eye blind, where it's more part of a proper name than really a number
- fifty caliber rifle, .22 rifle (maybe doesn't work if you grew up in Australia ie not around guns)
- idioms like "two is company, three is a crowd" where the specific numbers don't really give the meaning so much as the phrase as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

deathbot posted:

No problems with the conceptual relationships there! If you ask me to count from one person up their ancestry to a certain point, I'll probably end up at the wrong relative, but I have no issues understanding relationships and concepts.

Yep, those would be intelligent/useful. It's raw data that trips me up: I can understand if I'm spending too much, but if I look at a bank statement I might not be able to understand how much, or my repayment details. God do I love online banking, let me tell you, because I would have been hosed in the paper days. Now I just let auto-payments take care of everything and don't have to try and remember dates or write down numbers.

If you asked me to google those bands, I know who third eye blind is, but I might type two eye blind without realising I've done the wrong number.

I'm too Australian for that, since I have no knowledge of guns so even without the numbers involved.

Yep, I understand the idioms! If it relies on understanding a concept that isn't at all mathematical (emotions, situations, etc.) I have zero issues. I might just muddle up saying it, or writing it down. Hilariously this sometimes applies to lyrics. Incredibly nerdy example: Steven Universe has a song called "Stronger than you," with the line "Let's go, just one on two." Sometimes I sing it right, and sometimes I reverse the lyrics and say "Let's go, just two on one."

Super interesting, thank you for the answers! Not a question, but if you're using cards to make purchases you might like the app Mint -- you'd probably have to have someone help set it up initially with budgets for different categories etc, but once you've set it up it can automatically track spending and give you color/graph-based representations of how well you are doing with the budget.

Actually, I guess that's another question: do you have issues with graphs as well? Like, if you saw a bar graph and one column was larger than the other, would you be able to tell? E.g. on this little lovely bar graph I made below, is it easy for you to tell that red is larger than blue?

red |============================

blue |============

Was curious because it sounded like some of the issues you had w/ directions -- e.g. judging distances, translating sizes of shapes, could apply to this as well?

• Locked thread