Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for making this thread! I hope I don't get too personal. Please feel free to ignore any question you don't want to answer.

I always assumed that even without this abstract naming system, if I gave someone who couldn't count ten apples and then they ate a few, they can still know how many are left. If I take a few away, you'd realise some where missing.

My question is, can you differentiate between amounts visually? Can you differentiate between something that is heavy and something that is large? Have you ever seen this experiment called conservation task: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLEWVu815o?

quote:

Especially 6 and 9, and 3 and 8. Those are especially bad and easy to reverse for me.

I have trouble with differentiating 69 from 96, especially in larger numbers (369 vs 396) but that's because I think I have reading dyslexia. Can you read them though either out loud or in your head? Can you recognise the "6" shape character as equaling the name "six"?

This might be a weird question but when you read a book, do you hear words or do you see words? This is in regards to sub-vocalisation. How fast are you at reading?

How do people react when they find out about your condition? (Do they ask a heap of questions like me?)

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for answering.

quote:

3) I sight-read rather than read the voices in my head. My condition is laser-targeted directly into numeracy and spatial reasoning, and I'm above-average in all literacy and articulation in everything that doesn't involve numbers. I'm actually an incredibly fast and accurate reader, and I can easily burn through a long book in a small amount of time. Reading's a good hobby of mine!
What are your favorite books? Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

slap me silly posted:

This is a good read if you're interested - gets into a distinction between quantitative sense - which based on your clock story, yours might be fine - and counting, which obviously you have a lot of trouble with. No pills though :) https://www.amazon.com/Number-Sense-Mind-Creates-Mathematics/dp/0195132408
Same author but this looks to be a scientific review article:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1468-0017.00154/pdf

Not sure if the above link is accessible if you're outside of a university.

deathbot: Let me know if you want to read the above article but can't

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
deathbot try this link:
http://docdro.id/dC9DPEh

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My wife has a possibly milder form of this. She very regularly mixes up numbers and there is about even odds if she goes to pay for a parking space in the machine she will mix around numbers and pay for 4553 instead of 4535. The biggest problem is she has basically no conception of left and right, and all of the attempts to get her to make an 'L' with her left hand to figure out which way is left backfire because both hands make Ls. I've never seen her write an L character backwards, so obviously there is some connection that works differently when you trigger the spatial reasoning part, and she claims she has zero problems with traditional word dyslexia which I can believe because she was a professional writing editor for years and that would probably have come up.
My girlfriend is the same, there has to be some genetic factor involved... Anyway the way she does it is to flick-click her hand, which everyone makes a noise is her right. As a kid whatever hand I right with is my write, it also helped that in the religion I grew up in sometimes would beat you for using your left hand.

• Locked thread