Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bummer, NYT just called it for Northam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In the event of Northam's likely and unfortunate victory, keep an eye on a live stream of his victory party ; )

Are... are you at the party? Don't do something dumb and goony.

EDIT: Primaries are hard for me to understand.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 14, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, Northam is currently leading by over 13% with about 40% of the vote in, so it looks like he won

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/virginia-primary-elections

So it seems, but that's the trouble with campaigns like Perriello's that try to convince people who don't vote in primaries to vote in primaries. For some reason, they rarely work. It's still possible that he could have reservoirs of votes in late counting areas, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

corey stewart might pull it off and give us an interesting Republican candidate

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/874778429304049664

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's really strange how much of the "heartland" seems to be going to the liberal dem. There's something to take away from that but hell if I know what it is.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
If Corey Stewart pulls this one out.... that could be an indicator of one chaotic 2018. I rejected out of hand the idea that demotivated establishment conservatives would see their asses kicked in primaries by the Trump wing but if that becomes a trend, next year will be one hell of a year.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

JosefStalinator posted:

Are... are you at the party? Don't do something dumb and goony.

EDIT: Primaries are hard for me to understand.

Haha no. Looking back on my post it does seem really dramatic. I just know that people are going to try stuff.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's really strange how much of the "heartland" seems to be going to the liberal dem. There's something to take away from that but hell if I know what it is.

The thing to take away from it is that the matchup isn't exactly what you imagine it to be. it's hardly equivalent to the Clinton Bernie matchup, in that both of them have fairly spotty records. How they differ is mostly in their style of politics, and it's that what you're seeing on the map. Unfortunately, like I said above, appeals to infrequent voters are very risky. There's a reason why Democratic politicians campaign as they do in Democratic primaries, and that calculus really won't change until the demographics of who votes in the primaries changes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Unfortunately it looks like Gillespie is going to hold out over Stewart. That would have been an interesting race that could have really shook up the calculus for the House of Delegates.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
AP has called the race for Northam :smith:

Well he should still win by a million against Gillespie or Stewart.

Hello to everyone quoting this in November 2017 to laugh at me.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 14, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

axeil posted:

AP has called the race for Northam :smith:

Well he should still win by a million against Gillespie or Stewart.

Yeah, that's still true, 538 still holds that the fundamentals are strongly in Dems favor. I'm still sad because I feel that Tom had a better chance to energize folks who really need to be energized in off year elections, but if he couldn't do that in the primaries, it's a bit of a wash, I suppose.

We certainly have not seen the last of Tom, either, on the state or even the federal levels. On the basis of his showing here, I suspect he'll make a strong run for either governor next time around or federal office.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Yeah, that's still true, 538 still holds that the fundamentals are strongly in Dems favor. I'm still sad because I feel that Tom had a better chance to energize folks who really need to be energized in off year elections, but if he couldn't do that in the primaries, it's a bit of a wash, I suppose.

Yeah I'm bummed too because Perriello seemed like he would really aggressively make a play for the House of Delegates and Northam seems content to just deal with it instead of actually fighting to change the calculus in Richmond. We're a blue state, we can take back the House of Delegates if only people gave a poo poo and tried.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I found it interesting you had to choose which primary you voted in today. Reports I've read say far more chose to do the Democratic ballot than Republican. I wonder if that is what is leading to the Gillespie-Stewart race being as close as it is.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

axeil posted:

Yeah I'm bummed too because Perriello seemed like he would really aggressively make a play for the House of Delegates and Northam seems content to just deal with it instead of actually fighting to change the calculus in Richmond. We're a blue state, we can take back the House of Delegates if only people gave a poo poo and tried.

If he couldn't get people to vote in the primary why would he be able to get people to vote in November? The liberal bastions have all gone for Northam, there is no intra party divide here.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think Tom did a fantastic job given that unusual circumstances of his candidacy and natural voting base, and I really hope he doesn't bow out of VA Dem politics after this. Northam appears to be a lab-created centrist VA Dem so can't say it's unexpected.

I don't live in VA anymore and I'd like to point out that Tom's campaign called me a few times (after telling them I didn't live there anymore twice) and Ralph's just texted me, the jerks.

Johnny Walker posted:

I found it interesting you had to choose which primary you voted in today. Reports I've read say far more chose to do the Democratic ballot than Republican. I wonder if that is what is leading to the Gillespie-Stewart race being as close as it is.

I'm very curious about this as well, the current numbers have the Dems with 100k more votes total than the GOP. Sign of an enthusiasm gap?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

FWIW, Perrillo was a flawed candidate for a lot of reasons unrelated to his populism. I've heard from a number of people who know him personally and are involved in state-level politics that he's basically a huckster who is trying to latch onto a sentiment, and Northam would make a good governor.

And state-level stuff isn't going to flip until redistricting. The districts in Richmond for example are atrocious.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/874784547489165312

the boy might do it

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm definitely the one harping on how this primary cycle is not the same as last primary cycle, but oh my God if we actually are stuck in a groundhog day style Loop repeating 2016 over and over again, I think I may begin setting fire to things

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Fingers crossed that Stewart pulls it out. There's no way he pulls down votes from NoVA or Richmond. Worth noting that the turnout for Republicans was way lower than Democrats.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

If he couldn't get people to vote in the primary why would he be able to get people to vote in November? The liberal bastions have all gone for Northam, there is no intra party divide here.

Well presumably had he won it would've been on the backs of voters in districts where we need to pick up Delegate seats, so he might be able to push some folks across the line.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

FWIW, Perrillo was a flawed candidate for a lot of reasons unrelated to his populism. I've heard from a number of people who know him personally and are involved in state-level politics that he's basically a huckster who is trying to latch onto a sentiment, and Northam would make a good governor.

And state-level stuff isn't going to flip until redistricting. The districts in Richmond for example are atrocious.

Oh yeah despite my grousing about negative campaigning, I'm really happy with how he's done as Lt. Gov and I'm very confident he'll be good in the big chair.

Anyone know anything about this Justin Fairfax fellow? Now that he appears to have won the Lt. Gov primary I hope we hear more about him. He seems alright.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Care to share any more about this? Some of the endorsements have been head-scratchers, like Levar Stoney coming out strongly for Northam. I might just be out of the loop.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Care to share any more about this? Some of the endorsements have been head-scratchers, like Levar Stoney coming out strongly for Northam. I might just be out of the loop.

Well, a couple general things: Perriello has basically no elected experience (2 years in the House), made a lot of enemies in the state-level party -- which isn't good, issues with the party aside -- and his tilt towards the far left came out of nowhere. Basically, from what people who know him personally have said is that he saw how popular Bernie was, figure "gently caress it, I can say that same poo poo", and doesn't actually believe what he says.

I know people don't like how Northam was a Republican not long ago, but he'll be a good Governor.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fingers crossed that Trump pulls it out. There's no way he pulls down votes from the Upper Midwest or New South.

This is my fear, given that the Dems just nominated a very middle of the road guy.

Well, a couple general things: Perriello has basically no elected experience (2 years in the House), made a lot of enemies in the state-level party -- which isn't good, issues with the party aside -- and his tilt towards the far left came out of nowhere. Basically, from what people who know him personally have said is that he saw how popular Bernie was, figure "gently caress it, I can say that same poo poo", and doesn't actually believe what he says.

I know people don't like how Northam was a Republican not long ago, but he'll be a good Governor.

I know he got all the state-level endorsements because he's been a good fundraiser/surrogate/supporter for everyone, I just hate how he doesn't seem to be focusing on the House of Delegates and taking back that chamber from the GOP. Maybe he is and I'm just not paying attention or seeing it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

axeil posted:

This is my fear, given that the Dems just nominated a very middle of the road guy.

Hillary won VA, why would a candidate who has already alienated local members of his own party somehow do better than Trump? Yes I know shades of Trump and all that, but theres no way a pro-Confederation douchebag is gonna play well outside of a limited primary with terrible turnout.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

With 2/3rds of fairfax and half of Loudon outstanding it'll depend if they narrow or end up looking more like Arling/Alex.

Stewart is doing far better in NOVA than I thought he'd do.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

axeil posted:

I know he got all the state-level endorsements because he's been a good fundraiser/surrogate/supporter for everyone, I just hate how he doesn't seem to be focusing on the House of Delegates and taking back that chamber from the GOP. Maybe he is and I'm just not paying attention or seeing it.

Serious question: how do you take back the house with this district map? https://www.onevirginia2021.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/VA_State_Senate.jpg

I live in a nice part of Richmond City, and my vote is basically worthless

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

potential reason why stewart is doing so well, the only people voting in the republican primary think trump is awesome

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/874785457137176576

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

farraday posted:

Unfortunately it looks like Gillespie is going to hold out over Stewart. That would have been an interesting race that could have really shook up the calculus for the House of Delegates.

https://twitter.com/Messina2012/status/727861322075922433

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zikan posted:

potential reason why stewart is doing so well, the only people voting in the republican primary think trump is awesome

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/874785457137176576

So Trump depressed moderate republican turnout/spurred democrat turnout?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! Northam does seem genuine so I'll have faith, having another Warner-type ain't a bad thing.

Also holy poo poo he murdered Perriello in Tidewater, just lol

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Well of course, it's right there in the name.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Also Northam is keeping the seat warm for our savior Levar Stoney

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kevin DuBrow posted:

And check out how well Justin Fairfax did in Fairfax

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

And apparently he is actually from the Eastern Shore. Alright, I'm surprised he didn't get MORE of the Tidewater vote.

^^ lmao it's the only Nova county that went for him, haha

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Loudoun in now and half of Fairfax. Looks like Gillespie is holding. There are still a bunch of precincts left but I'm not sure there are enough outstanding votes to make up the gap.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/874791065353637888

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I wonder how many Gillespie supporters would rally behind Stewart in the general. I'd assume that Stewart supporters would vote for Gillespie in a heartbeat.

Also lol @ sensible Wagner supporters possibly preventing a Gillespie victory.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:stare:

That ain't good. There might be enough votes from the rural areas to put him ahead.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The Republican vote totals are so low..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Even if Stewart wins, I'm not that worried; "Clintonist moderate vs. crazy right-winger" is what got us McAuliffe, and Northam isn't a corrupt carpetbagger and Stewart would be crazier than the Cooch.

I voted for Perriello and Fairfax, but honestly there was so little difference between the candidates' platforms I'm not clear it was worth the sticker. At least the blazing hot day meant that there were no canvassers to brush past.

• Locked thread