Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If the dems take the chamber, can they immediately redistrict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aliquid posted:

If the dems take the chamber, can they immediately redistrict?

No, Republicans control the state Senate which was not up for election this year.

Also:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943216518413811714

There is ONE SINGLE PROVISIONAL BALLOT LEFT

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Right now the best shot is a 50-49-1 dem/rep/undecided split so the best the dems can do in the situation where the court case flips against them sometime during the sessions is

A. Elect a speaker (must be done first for anything to be done)
B. Cram every single committee with as many dems as possible
C. Confirm as many appointments as possible
D. Maybe pass legislation like a straight Medicaid expansion if it can be written quickly enough

It’s going to be insane

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943220966217408518

so wild

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Holy loving poo poo.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
so what was the actual vote share in the house of representatives for each party

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Virginia politics are kinda wild

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Quorum posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this is why you vote

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
:aaa:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Venuz Patrol posted:

so what was the actual vote share in the house of representatives for each party

Was 51-49 for the Republicans.

If this becomes official, it goes to 50-50.

Finally, there's the 28th district where the registrar, for unknown reasons, randomly moved hundreds of voters into different precincts out of the district. This election was won by the Republican incumbent with 82 votes, but around 200 voters were given ballots for the 88th district instead of the 28th. This is highly unusual, and a likely solution will be a special election.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 19, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BirdOfPlay posted:

Was 51-49 for the Republicans.

If this becomes official, it goes to 50-50.

Finally, there's the 28th district where the registrar, for unknown reasons, randomly moved hundreds of voters into different precincts out of the district. This election was won by the Republican incumbent with 82 votes, but around 200 voters were given ballots for the 88th district instead of the 28th.

also, those 200 or so voters voted for the democrat on the ballots they got in numbers that, if translated directly to the correct candidates, would have flipped the election.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

Wikipedia says 1,075,206 R to 1,306,384 D.

lol

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoops, wrong thread. Still good for Virginia though.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 19, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^ lol i am a dumb Edit: refereing Mind_Taker, not PPJ.

evilweasel posted:

also, those 200 or so voters voted for the democrat on the ballots they got in numbers that, if translated directly to the correct candidates, would have flipped the election.

True, so there is a very good chance that this ends up being a Dem pickup.

Would the special election be open to everyone in the district, or restricted to those in the contested precincts? Further, could it just be limited to those who were given the wrong ballot? I know everything is done via secret ballot, but don't the clerks in charge of a precinct log who votes? I dislike the open election option, specifically, because knowing state-wide results will change voting compared to what would/should have happened back in November.

That said, it just might be the best option available to correct this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BirdOfPlay posted:

Finally, there's the 28th district where the previous, now-dead registrar, for unknown reasons, randomly moved hundreds of voters into different precincts out of the district. This election was won by the Republican incumbent with 82 votes, but around 200 voters were given ballots for the 88th district instead of the 28th. This is highly unusual, and a likely solution will be a special election.
added something important with correct level of emphasis

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

BirdOfPlay posted:

^^ lol i am a dumb Edit: refereing Mind_Taker, not PPJ.

Would the special election be open to everyone in the district, or restricted to those in the contested precincts? Further, could it just be limited to those who were given the wrong ballot? I know everything is done via secret ballot, but don't the clerks in charge of a precinct log who votes? I dislike the open election option, specifically, because knowing state-wide results will change voting compared to what would/should have happened back in November.

That said, it just might be the best option available to correct this.

Any special election would in all likelihood be open to the entire district. It's not a perfect solution-- hell, the courts will hate it, they hate invalidating elections-- but when an election is this fucky blunt instrument fixes are all we've got.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BirdOfPlay posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a republican-leaning district and one of the ones nobody thought was gonna be competitive. No guarantee turnout is the same, especially when everyone knows what the stakes in that specific election are.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Never, ever let anyone tell you your vote doesn't matter.

Holy poo poo. Glad to hear some good news while I'm off in Paris.

Also this is why the Dems offered a power sharing deal to the GOP right before the recounts. They refused so now the Dems can say "gently caress you" and give themselves everything while the count is 50-49 with 1 race going to a special. Or hell they could be even more ballsy and just say the Dem in that race won.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Quorum posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Not an emptyquote.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Lee Carter loving owns

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/943245439490576385

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Also this is why the Dems offered a power sharing deal to the GOP right before the recounts. They refused so now the Dems can say "gently caress you" and give themselves everything while the count is 50-49 with 1 race going to a special. Or hell they could be even more ballsy and just say the Dem in that race won.

Which legislature votes on contested seatings? The outgoing one, or the undisputed members of the incoming one?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Which legislature votes on contested seatings? The outgoing one, or the undisputed members of the incoming one?

It's the incoming one, because the House of Delegates isn't a continuous body; they adjourned way back in April because we have a loving ridiculous part-time legislature. When the new House of Delegates sits at noon on January 10, one of its first orders of business is to seat new delegates and deal with any contested elections. The House has never actually had to do anything about an election, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/943291532643143680

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What is this? Am I missing something? I'm confused.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is this? Am I missing something? I'm confused.

tucker carlson being tucker carlson

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/943283425657675776

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furthermore, Sen. Carter Glass (of Glass-Seagall fame, no less) was a drafter of the 1902 VA Constitution and used such language to pass the clause of the VA Constitution that disenfranchised citizens convicted of a host of crimes.

The Atlantic ran an article about this when T-Mac restored voting rights last year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Oh, that figures.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

let me see if I have this straight:
- currently the balance of power in the VA house is 50/50
- there will be 2 more recounts but they're not expected to flip
- one of those recounts will also have a special election somewhen in 2018 because of voting irregularities
- because of those irregularities the R that won that seat can't be seated in the house so the balance is actually 50-49 in Dems' favor because the legislation will start their session before the special election takes place
anything missing or wrong?

the question I have is - considering the fact that Republicans have a majority in the VA senate (at least according to wiki), why does everyone presume that Dems will be able to push legislation through? since it has to be voted on by both houses and signed by the governor, doesn't it seem that the Rs in the senate will just shoot down anything the Ds in the house push through?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Barbe Rouge posted:

let me see if I have this straight:
- currently the balance of power in the VA house is 50/50
- there will be 2 more recounts but they're not expected to flip
- one of those recounts will also have a special election somewhen in 2018 because of voting irregularities
- because of those irregularities the R that won that seat can't be seated in the house so the balance is actually 50-49 in Dems' favor because the legislation will start their session before the special election takes place
anything missing or wrong?

the question I have is - considering the fact that Republicans have a majority in the VA senate (at least according to wiki), why does everyone presume that Dems will be able to push legislation through? since it has to be voted on by both houses and signed by the governor, doesn't it seem that the Rs in the senate will just shoot down anything the Ds in the house push through?

I've heard strategies ranging from offering R senators jobs in his administration to trigger special elections favorable to Dems, offering some reforms to Medicaid in exchange for expanding it and finding and leaning on vulnerable R's in areas Northam won.

You're right that we should probably temper expectations, but it's not entirely hopeless.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
https://twitter.com/thekateblack/status/943226745146216448

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

If the Dems end up with a majority in the house, all they'll need to do is flip one solitary Republican in the Senate to pass stuff. That's eminently doable, since there are plenty of them in districts both Clinton and Northam won.

This is still insane to me because we went in thinking that a good night would decrease the house majority to 56R, 44D. Potentially getting the ability to actually govern is beyond anyone's dreams.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Virginia race is not over.

Basically, there was one ballot that voted for both candidates, but with a strike mark through the vote for the Democratic candidate, and then voted straight-ticket R for the rest of the ballot. The Republican official during the recount agreed with the Democratic official the vote should not count. That official changed their mind last night, and wrote a letter to the court that would certify the recount to that effect. The court is now deciding (a) if it's too late to challenge the ballot since everyone agreed at the time; and (b) if they can challenge it, if it should count.

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943504977254903808
https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943505550884696064

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943505754551668736
https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943512873116069890

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly if they get to overturn that it feels like why bother having people certify anything since you can just call do overs when it benefits you. If they had made this case yesterday I think it would be somewhat valid (ignoring Florida 2000) but now it's way too late.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Are you loving making GBS threads me? He gets a call from the GOP and is claiming that the ballot should have counted and this could be allowed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BirdOfPlay posted:

Are you loving making GBS threads me? He gets a call from the GOP and is claiming that the ballot should have counted and this could be allowed?

Based on the Virginia standards, if what they're saying is true (voted for both, but crossed out one of the ovals) the ballot clearly should have counted: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/Files/ElectionAdministration/ElectionLaw/ExamplesforHandcounting.pdf
Look at the bottom of page 11.

So the official definitely hosed up. It's not like this challenge is baseless - it's basically a question of procedure, at what point is it too late to challenge?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I looked up the Virginia law on recounts. Relevant portions are below, bolding mine:

quote:

There shall be only one redetermination of the vote in each precinct.

At the conclusion of the recount of each precinct, the recount officials shall write down the number of valid ballots cast, this number being obtained from the ballots cast in the precinct, or from the ballots cast as shown on the statement of results if the ballots cannot be found, for each of the two candidates or for and against the question. They shall submit the ballots or the statement of results used, as to the validity of which questions exist, to the court. The written statement of any one recount official challenging a ballot shall be sufficient to require its submission to the court. If, on all direct recording electronic machines, the number of persons voting in the election, or the number of votes cast for the office or on the question, totals more than the number of names on the pollbooks of persons voting on the voting machines, the figures recorded by the machines shall be accepted as correct.

At the conclusion of the recount of all precincts, after allowing the parties to inspect the questioned ballots, and after hearing arguments, the court shall rule on the validity of all questioned ballots and votes. After determining all matters pertaining to the recount and redetermination of the vote as raised by the parties, the court shall certify to the State Board and the electoral board or boards (a) the vote for each party to the recount and declare the person who received the higher number of votes to be nominated or elected, as appropriate, or (b) the votes for and against the question and declare the outcome of the referendum. The Department shall post on the Internet any and all changes made during the recount to the results as previously certified by it pursuant to § 24.2-679.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title24.2/chapter8/section24.2-802/

So the key legal issue, as I see it, is the second bolded section. The officials shall submit the ballots "as to the validity of which questions exist to the court." Now, he did that initially (there were none) and has done so again today (challenging one, in writing). He would have been completely within his rights to challenge it (and would have won) initially. But does he have a right to submit challenges up to the date of the hearing, or only once? If he gets to submit this additional challenge, the ballot will get counted. If he is not permitted to submit this additional challenge, the other two bolded sections apply: the court may not order a new recount, and the court may only rule on the validity of "questioned ballots", i.e. the ballots officially questioned which doesn't include this one and will certify the Democrat the winner.

So, that's what the judges are probably arguing about now.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilweasel posted:

Based on the Virginia standards, if what they're saying is true (voted for both, but crossed out one of the ovals) the ballot clearly should have counted: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/Files/ElectionAdministration/ElectionLaw/ExamplesforHandcounting.pdf
Look at the bottom of page 11.

So the official definitely hosed up. It's not like this challenge is baseless - it's basically a question of procedure, at what point is it too late to challenge?

The procedure question is the one that's getting me hung up on this. He certified everything as hunky-dory and, then, gets a call from the GOP telling him to contest his certification. It's not a good look and I don't think the ballot box should've been opened because of that.

Also, section 8 mentions crossing out or erasing the mark, not the candidate's name. That said, section 11 does state that a negative mark for candidate A and a positive one for candidate B should be a vote for B.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

The procedure question is the one that's getting me hung up on this. He certified everything as hunky-dory and, then, gets a call from the GOP telling him to contest his certification. It's not a good look and I don't think the ballot box should've been opened because of that.

Also, section 8 mentions crossing out or erasing the mark, not the candidate's name. That said, section 11 does state that a negative mark for candidate A and a positive one for candidate B should be a vote for B.

even the GOP can be in the right sometimes
so if this one vote is flipped, dems lose the election and the house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BirdOfPlay posted:

I do not have a problem with the judges opening up the ballot box because I don't think that's a decision that they will rule on the validity of that individual ballot. I interpret them looking in the box before ruling on the merits as looking for an easy way out: if there's no ballot that matches what the guy's saying, the problem becomes extremely easy and his letter can be ignored without deciding the hard questions here.

• Locked thread