Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Barbe Rouge posted:

even the GOP can be in the right sometimes
so if this one vote is flipped, dems lose the election and the house?

No. If that vote is counted (it wasn't before) it becomes a tie vote, and the winner is determined "by lot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So this would make the vote a straight tie then?

edit: and answered while I was typing no less.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilweasel posted:

No. If that vote is counted (it wasn't before) it becomes a tie vote, and the winner is determined "by lot"

And in that case, there could be another recount, maybe!

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/943521945357778944

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/943532240931352577

its almost like virginia (and most states) have really contradictory electoral laws

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endorph posted:

its almost like virginia (and most states) have really contradictory electoral laws

It's not contradictory and there definitely may not be a second recount. The issue is that Virginia only allows the "apparent loser" of a race to request a recount. So if the initial tally is a tie, nobody can ask for a recount. You then select a winner, and then the loser can ask for a recount because they are now officially the "apparent loser".

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This is such a clusterfuck. A house majority decided by a single ballot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If that ballot is as described it really should have been counted in the first place. But I also agree with the concerns that you need absolute confirmation that the ballot hasn't already been counted and it sounds like that doesn't exist

Being a judge must be hard

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The ERA as in the Equal Rights Amendment? She wants to pass that at the Virginia government level or ratify it to the Constitution?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

The ERA as in the Equal Rights Amendment? She wants to pass that at the Virginia government level or ratify it to the Constitution?

presumably the former since it comes up every now and then in the state senate

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

presumably the former since it comes up every now and then in the state senate

Oh ok. I've heard rumblings that people want to try and bring it back because it might technically not be dead for ratification so I was confused. I mean either would be fine. Good for her. :)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So the ballot is actually a little bit more ambiguious than previously reported:

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943559301737713665

Democrats are arguing that because he put an X through Gillispee, you can't assume the slash was to void the vote for Simonds. I do not know if this means it's coming down to the merits of voter intent, or if the judges had them argue that point as well and are deciding both the argument about if they can hear the challenge and what the intent was at the same time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

So the ballot is actually a little bit more ambiguious than previously reported:

Democrats are arguing that because he put an X through Gillispee, you can't assume the slash was to void the vote for Simonds. I do not know if this means it's coming down to the merits of voter intent, or if the judges had them argue that point as well and are deciding both the argument about if they can hear the challenge and what the intent was at the same time.

Oh god, its loving pregnant chads all over again

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

Isn’t this sort of voter-intent divination the very reason we end up running special elections in the first place? Short of calling the guy and asking, there’s not much to be done. They certified it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My read on that ballot is no vote for governor and a vote for the republican in the house but I'm not an elections official who actually knows Virgina ballot law

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I love how that ballot tells the story of a long, agonizing personal struggle in the voting booth. It might as well have sweat stains on it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Isn’t this sort of voter-intent divination the very reason we end up running special elections in the first place? Short of calling the guy and asking, there’s not much to be done. They certified it.

No, this is explicitly one of the things recounts are for, determining voter intent on ballots that don't quite match what you're supposed to do.

If the ballot is not clear enough on what his intent is, it doesn't count. If Democrats are successful in arguing EITHER (a) it's too late to challenge or (b) if it's not to late to challenge, this is not sufficiently clear evidence of his intent to count this vote, the ballot doesn't count and the original count stands.

The special election is only an issue because the GOVERNMENT hosed up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gently caress

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943561990441721858

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Son of a bitch.

Nice that Republicans get to break the rules when it's convenient.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So when does the coin get flipped and who gets to flip it?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

well poo poo. is there a twitch stream where we can sweat simonds' coin flip?

come on one tiiiiime

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cheetah7071 posted:

So when does the coin get flipped and who gets to flip it?

Someone appointed by the State Board of Elections, at a hearing they'll convene probably like tomorrow. It's usually someone safely nonpartisan like a kid.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is so goddamn stupid. This coin poo poo makes me more angry than if they had just found two more votes in the pile.

Alter Ego posted:

Son of a bitch.

Nice that Republicans get to break the rules when it's convenient.

Pretty much.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I mean this is total bullshit. Both the R and D officials SIGNED OFF on declaring the ballot invalid. If the shoe had been on the other foot, what's the betting that the ballot wouldn't have counted?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They should have to redo the election, not flip a loving coin. I don't give a poo poo about the logistical difficulties.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Barbe Rouge posted:

even the GOP can be in the right sometimes
so if this one vote is flipped, dems lose the election and the house?

I get that, but to have someone from the party breathing down your neck to rescind your certification after it comes down to one vote scream impropriety. But that's just me.

evilweasel posted:

Going back to the vote counting guide you posted, I can definitely see this as not conforming to rule 8:

quote:

(8) Any ballot that has any mark, as above, in the target area or candidate area for one candidate, and on which other marks in the target areas or candidate areas for any other candidates have been partially erased, scratched out, or otherwise obliterated, shall be counted as a vote for the candidate for which the mark was not erased, scratched out, or otherwise obliterated, provided no other candidate is similarly
marked.

Especially given that all the examples show that the incorrect choice was clearly scribbled out with a blob.

cheetah7071 posted:

My read on that ballot is no vote for governor and a vote for the republican in the house but I'm not an elections official who actually knows Virgina ballot law

Funny you mention that, because the vote was counted for Governor, but not for Delegate.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So what was the party of the judge making the decision?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I personally love that control of the Virginia House of Delegates, in which Democrats received ~225,000 more votes than Republicans, will be coming down to a coin flip.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

I personally love that control of the Virginia House of Delegates, in which Democrats received ~225,000 more votes than Republicans, will be coming down to a coin flip.

~will of the people~

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
And this why the Democrats offered up a powersharing agreement, in case they lost this recount or got hosed over in some way

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

And this why the Democrats offered up a powersharing agreement, in case they lost this recount or got hosed over in some way

and it's why the Republicans rejected it since they knew they've ratfuck their way into it somehow like they always do.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Looking forward to the GOP observer at the coin flip screaming that tails actually means heads because the eagle has a head on it so therefore...

gently caress these people.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Nah they'll just keeping flipping the coin until the Republican wins.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
So it's 50-50 for 50-50?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ague Proof posted:

So it's 50-50 for 50-50?

But what is the over/under?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Quorum posted:

I love how that ballot tells the story of a long, agonizing personal struggle in the voting booth. It might as well have sweat stains on it.

Well, there was a lot riding on it

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Now that the door is open, the Democrats' observer should be searching high and low for another ballet that might be counted for their side. After all, the certification is apparently meaningless.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 20, 2017

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Isn't that how the vote went from 10 against to a tie? And you've got to give the Democratic side credit for fast talking the other side into throwing away that ballot.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

I mean this is total bullshit. Both the R and D officials SIGNED OFF on declaring the ballot invalid. If the shoe had been on the other foot, what's the betting that the ballot wouldn't have counted?

If the shoe had been on the other foot, the notion anyone here would be crying about violations of certification procedure is utterly laughable.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The upside of the lot-drawing is that a second recount and series of appeals come into play should Symonds lose the draw. It's bizarre, but there's multiple winning avenues that come into play even if it doesn't end at the hat/bowl/canister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The upside of the lot-drawing is that a second recount and series of appeals come into play should Symonds lose the draw. It's bizarre, but there's multiple winning avenues that come into play even if it doesn't end at the hat/bowl/canister.

My read of the law is that the news reports that the loser can ask for a new recount are wrong. It's just that if the initial vote is tied, nobody can ask for a recount until there's an official loser based on the draw because Virginia only allows an apparent loser to ask for a recount. Once the lot-drawing happens, there's a loser, at which that person can ask for the initial recount. Virginia law is pretty clear that there cannot be a second recount.

edit:

Specificially, I get that from this section:

quote:

When there is between any candidate apparently nominated or elected and any candidate apparently defeated a difference of not more than one percent of the total vote cast for the two such candidates as determined by the State Board or the electoral board, the defeated candidate may appeal from the determination of the State Board or the electoral board for a recount of the vote as set forth in this article.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title24.2/chapter8/section24.2-800/

and

quote:

There shall be only one redetermination of the vote in each precinct.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title24.2/chapter8/section24.2-802/

and this:

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 21, 2017

• Locked thread