Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think Tom did a fantastic job given that unusual circumstances of his candidacy and natural voting base, and I really hope he doesn't bow out of VA Dem politics after this. Northam appears to be a lab-created centrist VA Dem so can't say it's unexpected.

I don't live in VA anymore and I'd like to point out that Tom's campaign called me a few times (after telling them I didn't live there anymore twice) and Ralph's just texted me, the jerks.

Johnny Walker posted:

I found it interesting you had to choose which primary you voted in today. Reports I've read say far more chose to do the Democratic ballot than Republican. I wonder if that is what is leading to the Gillespie-Stewart race being as close as it is.

I'm very curious about this as well, the current numbers have the Dems with 100k more votes total than the GOP. Sign of an enthusiasm gap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

FWIW, Perrillo was a flawed candidate for a lot of reasons unrelated to his populism. I've heard from a number of people who know him personally and are involved in state-level politics that he's basically a huckster who is trying to latch onto a sentiment, and Northam would make a good governor.

Care to share any more about this? Some of the endorsements have been head-scratchers, like Levar Stoney coming out strongly for Northam. I might just be out of the loop.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Well, a couple general things: Perriello has basically no elected experience (2 years in the House), made a lot of enemies in the state-level party -- which isn't good, issues with the party aside -- and his tilt towards the far left came out of nowhere. Basically, from what people who know him personally have said is that he saw how popular Bernie was, figure "gently caress it, I can say that same poo poo", and doesn't actually believe what he says.

I know people don't like how Northam was a Republican not long ago, but he'll be a good Governor.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! Northam does seem genuine so I'll have faith, having another Warner-type ain't a bad thing.

Also holy poo poo he murdered Perriello in Tidewater, just lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Well of course, it's right there in the name.

And apparently he is actually from the Eastern Shore. Alright, I'm surprised he didn't get MORE of the Tidewater vote.

^^ lmao it's the only Nova county that went for him, haha

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Anecdotally, dozens of my friends who don't vote in off-years voted in this primary. The overwhelming consensus among Virginians my age has been that Perriello and Northam are both good candidates, but Northam would actually get more done. He's been a good Lt Governor and he and McAuliffe have done a lot of good things for Virginia. Perriello has ideas which I liked a lot and support (increased taxes on the wealthy, community college/vocational school for all, no pipeline, etc), but he wasn't likely to get anything done. He also voted for restrictions on abortion and bragged about having an A rating from the NRA while he was in congress, and while he opposes the pipelines he's for off-shore drilling off the VA coast. His progressive streak seems like a recent development so I second what the other poster said when he comes off as kind of a huckster.

What I really don't want is for Stewart to win the primary. gently caress that guy.

I agree with you 100% and want to point out that Northam's community college plan is actually better imo, the added service requirement is a good thing because public service is good and adding accountability is really important to having people actually finish a CC credential (source: I work in that field).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

That's badass, Cab Ride Home always put on a really good show the several times I saw them play. And she's trying to topple evil incarnate Bob Marshall, don't let us down Prince William.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

I literally drove to Fredericksburg from school in Williamsburg because I was like "maybe my mom and sister's suffering in Cole's awful campaign could mean something" after I forgot to sign up for absentee.

It turns out not so much, but I helped make Northam a landslide. :unsmith:

Tribe pride?

I moved out of VA last year but it's still my real home and I'm overjoyed tonight. Pat on the back for all of you who organized this blowout. I'm so happy Bob Marshall went down.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Your nightly reminder that Danica Roem, who just kicked bigot Bob Marshall's bigot rear end, is the frontwoman for this band

https://cabridehome.bandcamp.com/album/crash-the-gate

she rules hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

get hosed Bob Marshall enjoy losing your seat

I've been wanting to say that for a decade goddamn tonight is good

• Locked thread