Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

60% of people think healthcare is a government responsibility, too, so clearly democrats will win all elections in the nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm getting 2016 flashbacks right now, the smugness draining into horror at the realization that We'd Been Had.
you're literally experiencing PTSD and itd probably be better to disengage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Petr posted:

RIP, good try everyone. Does the head in an oven thing work with modern ovens or what?

the first precincts to report are the republican-leaning ones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh no, clifford hyra is losing!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If Gillipsie loses, how the hell is Breitbart,The Donald, Donald Trump going to spin it?
virginia is a godless hillary state but look how close the race was even in a state that went 50-2 for hillary, clearly those dem cucks are sweating

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Shout out to the precincts in Giles and Pulaski Counties that voted 100% Northam.
haha, my childhood neighborhood voted 100% northam, this rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if turnout in heavily d areas is very low, gillispie is rapidly running out of areas to run the numbers up. and we have enough info to know turnout in those areas wasnt THAT low.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Running out? They’re being counted, it’s over
there's a few red places like stafford and hanover that aren't in yet going by the nytimes tracker, but yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Feeling my "a significant % of Trump votes from Republicans were protest votes" theory getting some fresh evidence.

I think also, Trump was actually believable as an outsider candidate. Gillispie is an establishment politician that tried to copy Trump's playbook, and apparently any old white dude can't just copy that and expect it to work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I get the feeling McAuliffe's mass felon-enfranchisement may have paid some dividends today.
absolutely. I imagine that'll be one of the things the GOP tries to get ahead of in other states following this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

I THINK ROEM'S GONNA DO IT!!!!!

iunno i think write-in can still turn this around

congratulations to bernie sanders

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not exactly nate silver here but I imagine two things

1) nobody bought gillispie's shtick. he's a bush crony doing unconvincing trump cosplay.
2) memories of 2016 + the idea that the race was close drove up d turnout

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

I don't want get my hopes up too much at this point, but the election results seem to indicate Virginia is hard blue now, correct? Blue Governor, Blue Legislature?
legislature might be 50/50 depending on how things play out, but considering it was fairly heavily r before thats a massive shfit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I just came back from voting (NY) on the way home from work, what's going on?
Virginia is a state where heavily R districts report first and the heavily D districts report last. We're halfway through the night and Northam is leading, and a ton of competitive seats have been turned blue, with some r-leaning races actually looking competitive.

This is looking more and more like a bloodbath with every second.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the doom needle just called it for northam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

Did the trans woman beat the locsl Republican fuckhead incumbant?
hell yeah she did

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Petr posted:

Oh hey in the end they got hosed after all
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

https://www.facebook.com/podsaveamerica/videos/327460587723337/

Pod Save America is on FB live if you're a fan of them.

if i a ran a leftist podcast id just record me saying 'lol' as the episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/PostPolls/status/928052090123051009

'We didn't embrace trump hard enough, that's why Whites voted the same amount for Gillispie as they did for Trump and he actually made gains on black and latino voters.'

The actual culprit seems to be more black voters.

https://twitter.com/Play_More_KOF/status/928096564383502336

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gowb posted:

Can someone actually corroborate this or is it nonsenseo
iunno about refusing to shaking her hand or debating her but he ran ads referring to her as 'him' and 'he' so i wouldnt doubt the other two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

Those voter breakdowns lead me to believe that the GOP is going to throw all of their resources into voter suppression in 2018 and 2020. White people are still awful.
white men went 50/50 here. it was white women that went hard for gillispie. if it werent for them northam'd be like +20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axeil posted:

You also have to split it young/old. Take out old white women and old white men and Virginia looks like the ocean.
yeah, that one too. i wonder if part of it really is the rain making old ladies not wanna get out of their cars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tekz posted:

What was her platform? Is she one of the right wing democrats or a good un?

her platform was owning bob as hard as possible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cricket fields?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Here's a post-mortem:

https://twitter.com/EdWGillespie/status/187566550289625088

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hypothetically what happens if an election results in an exact tie even after multiple recounts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

several states have a literal coin toss. give me a sec and i'll check for alabama

im hoping for taped fists match

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wylie posted:

OK that needle ain't even joking now, y'all.

(Hi, D&D. I'm a lifelong R who voted for HRC and Jones because Trump and Moore are trash fires, thanks for reading my story god bless)
all the other people you voted for are trashfires also

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i believe in white people to come through by not showing up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though the most likely consequence of the moore accusations was never people flipping to jones, it was depressing turnout. voting against everything youve believed in your entire life is a lot harder than just going 'gently caress it, he'll probably win anyway, it's alabama'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

illcendiary posted:

I dunno guys, that estimated margin keeps dropping. Was at 4.8%, now 4.1% and dropping.

how dare you question The Needle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/jmgehrke/status...tion-results%2F

great take here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

THE NEEDLE ABIDES

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

That graph has terrible axis labels
so does most of moore's base

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hanales posted:

Does...does that mean they have vampires?

(I actually have no idea what this means)
it means that historically any black people found there after dark would be lynched

america is bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id put money on trump saying the accusations are true if moore loses

that kind of petty revenge for 'failing' him seems right up his alley, regardless of any other logic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SourKraut posted:

MSNBC shows it as 53-46 for Moore with 60% in... so why are people still hopeful? Honestly asking, not trolling.

because the last places to report are places that lean d

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RocktheCaulk posted:

The needle is abandoning us
do not question the needle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-HSMXbfz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph